Photo
- - - - -

"those claiming unemployment benefits must be able to speak English, or attend English classes" ( in England)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-23058853

Job Seeker's Allowance changes planned for unemployed

Jobseekers will be required to sign on weekly and wait seven days before first claiming Job Seeker's Allowance under plans announced by the chancellor.

George Osborne also said those claiming unemployment benefits must be able to speak English, or attend English classes.

Jobseekers will also be required to have a CV before claiming benefits.

Mr Osborne made the announcements as he outlined the government's latest round of spending plans.

"From now on, if claimants don't speak English, they will have to attend language courses until they do," he told the House of Commons.

"This is a reasonable requirement in this country."

Currently jobseekers are required to attend job centres once every fortnight.

#2 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,733 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

Ha. Half of the people I run into on a regular basis can't speak english worth a flying fuck, and they're american.

#3 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Ha. Half of the people I run into on a regular basis can't speak english worth a flying fuck, and they're american.

Imagine the outrage here (on either side) if one of our elected officials said this.

#4 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,274 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

Que?

#5 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

I think some people would think this would be a great idea, and others would be out of their minds with people not being treated fairly.

The two fighting over it would be tiring.

#6 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,733 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

The two fighting over it would be tiring.

And this is different than...let's say... abortion, gay marriage, immigration reform, health care, social security benefits, and so on and so forth?

It would just be one more thing they would put on their list to dicker about.

IMHO.

#7 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

And this is different than...let's say... abortion, gay marriage, immigration reform, health care, social security benefits, and so on and so forth?

It would just be one more thing they would put on their list to dicker about.

IMHO.

Agreed.  I just hear or read of people quietly or not so silently saying now a days.  We have all seen the, welcome to america, now speak english t shirts.

I mean everytime I want a Geno's Cheesesteak in Philly I am reminded of by their sign stating this at the window.

Since someone said it publicaly and plans to be implemented as law, is why I posted.