• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,888 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Is it appropriate to give a gift?  If family?  If friend or friend's child?

#2 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,846 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

yes a gift or a card with a bit of cash in it

#3 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,289 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

family? sure! no question..

friends? :hmmm: a bag of hersheys kisses? :dunno:

#4 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,502 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

Got one invite, and I'm pretty sure that friend knows it'll be great if I can find the scratch to get me to the party at all. The kid is awesome. I'm going to see if I can find something cool around from my mom's vocational things for her.

#5 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,014 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

I think a lot of people actually expect gifts (the rightness or wrongness of expectation is another thread but..) it's become pretty standard - much like a wedding, a graduation gift is about helping the graduate with his/her future - cash and gift cards are the usual choice.

#6 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,846 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

For some reason I feel more inclined to give or give more when it's a graduation.  Usually the person is starting out in life at a new job or heading off to college and a bit of money can help.  The whole wedding registry and pay for the plate theory many people have just turns me off.  Especially after paying for hotel room etc. to usually attend said wedding.  One of the reasons Tim and China are awesome.  :)

#7 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,014 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

I agree, Greg. A lot of college students plan to buy laptops, printers, expensive school books, dorm supplies... money is really helpful.

weddings: Tim and I would not register - seems tacky (and who wants to bother with having to do that, quite frankly)  I'm not judging anyone else, I know it's tradition. But for us, we are grown adults and so happy just to have people share the day (and if we can't afford the party, we'll throw a less expensive one, we  don't expect people to pay us back for the food we feed them). We have people flying in from florida, driving from Georgia--I could not imagine them contributing more than they already have and wouldn't dream of cashing a check, should they give us one.

#8 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 33,648 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

Just don't give a food basked with fluff...:lol:

http://www.thespec.c...a-wedding-gift/

#9 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,845 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

$25? $50? $3

For hs graduation

#10 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,289 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

an erlenmyer flask!

#11 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,429 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

I feel compelled to give a gift whether it's a friend, friend's child or a family member.

This past Saturday, we had a graduation party for my friend who just completed nursing school   My gift was the cake, an appetizer and a main dish.   We have another party this coming weekend for another gal who just got her degree so I'll probably get her a gift card. These ladies are my age and are not just starting out in life but I feel like a gift is in order.   

Two of my nephews graduated from college this year.   I did not give either of them a gift yet!   I keep meaning to throw $50 in a card and send it....  Thanks for the reminder.  :lol:

#12 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,888 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

Thanks all.

#13 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,636 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

My friend's oldest just graduted middle school.  We'll be seeing them on July 4th at their annual BBQ.  I've been close friends with them for almost 20 years and always give their kids (they have 2) gifts for Christmas & their birthdays, usually gift cards because I have no clue what 13 year old boys and 10 year old girls are into these days so I'd rather they get something they like than guess & give them something they don't want.

I want to give Zach (the graduate) something for his graduation in addition to his b-day gift (his birthday is 7/3, so he'll be getting both gifts at the same time).  Would it be really cheesy to give him gift cards or cash for both events?  I just don't know what else would be a good graduation gift for a 13-year old. 

#14 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,465 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

For HS and college I always give a gift....either a cash...a prepaid gas/debit card...or $$ towards their school account if they are going away to school :)

#15 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,846 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

Yeah I also only consider High School and up a real graduation for gift giving purposes.  The rest are just things schools make up for PR.

#16 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Yeah I also only consider High School and up a real graduation for gift giving purposes.  The rest are just things schools make up for PR.

This.

Also, ask me how I feel about people calling daycare "School"  gah :ravn: