Photo

What is your deterrent for not drinking and driving?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

I'm curious.

Is it that you don't want to hurt someone?  hurt yourself?  afraid of getting caught?  

#2 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

well I don't drive... but if I did... not wanting to die, not wanting anyone else to die, not wanting anything to happen to my car, and I think drinking and driving is just pretty f***ed up quite honestly... it's nothing personal against people who have done it I just can't fathom why you would want to, no buzz is worth dying over or going to jail for

EDIT: with the vibes fast approaching I have removed an "uck" :mrgreen:

#3 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

lol... being all proper with grammar n shit, eh? 

#4 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

I just figure sometimes my swearing is gratuitous n shit :lol:

#5 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

I just told a friend of mine that the biggest deterrent I have is losing my career...    She just ripped me apart for that. 

#6 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,591 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

One thing I remind myself, is just the thought that thinking I can drive does not mean I'm not over the limit. I drink beer you know what you're getting into with beer.  Mixed drinks scare me  because you don't know how strong they are.

I don't drink and drive because I don't want to hurt/kill myself or others.

#7 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,561 posts
  • LocationA peaceful place, or so it looks from space

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

I am always designated driver. My deterrent is not wanting to kill another person. Jail scares me too.

#8 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

ugh.. jail... :shudder: 

#9 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,928 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

it's nothing personal against people who have done it I just can't fathom why you would want to, no buzz is worth dying over or going to jail for

Almost anyone who has drank a drop of alcohol has driven intoxicated at some point as well. We've all done dumb things. Most of us have felt "ok" driving, and then when we (miraculously) made it home, realized how drunk we actually were. It's pretty stupid, really. 

I've stopped drinking more than a couple of drinks when I'm out, just because I feel like a bag of shit the next day. Am I over the limit? I'm sure. Am I impaired? No. So if I had a reason at all, it would be for not getting a DUI. 

#10 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

It's the entire package of it that is my deterrent.

Killing others

going through the system (which is no fun idea and highly ex[pensive and restrcitve)

killing myself

wrecking the car

destroying property

being embarrassed for being a tard

all of the above

#11 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,829 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

Death, injury, destruction, civil and criminal consequences.

Plus "brewer's droop" makes it impossible to get road head.

#12 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

Spilling my drink. 

#13 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Spilling my drink. 

lol 

#14 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

one thing that is scary about drinking and driving is the fact that when you are about to do it it usually doesn't seem all that threatening... "oh I've just gotta be careful, I'm going to take it slow and I'll be fine..." it's really easy to deceive yourself about how affected you are... and also it's something that nine times out of ten you can probably manage it, but it's that one time out of ten where you don't manage it, so if you're not just disinclined to do that or you don't care about the consequences it's very easy to get yourself into a more dangerous situation than you realize... speaking generally of course

#15 Roasted and Toasted

Roasted and Toasted
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationUnder a tent

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

Just a common sense thing IMHO

#16 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

and then of course there's always someone somewhere that says: "whoa can you get a DUI in that thing?!?!" :facepalm:

Never heard that one before :lol:

#17 DF

DF
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

deterrents in order:

a. killing a person (whether in the offending vechice or other)

b. killing an animal, or worse, hitting someone's dog.

c. being in jail

d. the lost of job and driving privs.

e. the fees

#18 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 602 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

deterrent: not ruining lives.

#19 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

cause people who drive drunk are selfish piece of shit cuntloafs and I try to avoid being a piece of shit cuntloaf if I can help it.

#20 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,190 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

It kinda makes it tough to smoke, talk on the phone and shift with a drink in my hand.... Be really...if I don't wanna drink n drive I make sure I have people in the car.

#21 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

Back when I was a raging fratboy alcoholic, I got popped for DUI. (1983)     Young, Dumb, etc..     After that experience, my deterent for DUI was mostly about not wanting to deal with the steep fines and extended loss of license.      My sober self realized all of the negatives of drunken driving  (Hurt/kill myself, others, accidents, etc) but despite all the best planning in the world, my drunken self still took DUI chances now and then.    

"Working on getting my Second DUI"  became one of a long list of reasons why I just had to stop.   

In June 15, 1995, the morning after the Grateful Dead's Highgate VT show, I decided I was done with drinking.    Haven't been drunk since.     

I no longer need a deterrent for Drunken Driving.    Not my problem anymore.                

#22 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

someone else to be responsible for is a definite deterrent. 

#23 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,720 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

I used to not be great about this, when I got in my accident after camp bisco I was so lucky I didn't hurt or kill someone or myself. I was also lucky to not get in legal trouble. i wasnt drunk but had been partying for 3 days and had not slept or ate. Suffice to say I now take cabs or if I am driving take things seriously.

#24 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

Not much to GAIN from drinking and driving....

The TIDE of unfavorable reactions would be ALLFull....

Supporting the Legal BIZ isn't a wise way to go in this ERA

The police would WISK you off to jail...

#25 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,829 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

Then you'd be all washed up. That's quite a detergent right there. 

#26 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

cause people who drive drunk are selfish piece of shit cuntloafs and I try to avoid being a piece of shit cuntloaf if I can help it.

whoa Rel. thats harsh. 

#27 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

Sorry but when you are in a car you are driving a deadly weapon and have the potential to kill people. I don't care what people do when they can't hurt other people, but driving drunk is the equivalent of waving a loaded gun around and pointing it at people with your finger on the trigger and hoping you don't accidentally squeeze too hard and kill someone. Or seriously hurt them.

Also it's been a while since I had the occasion to use the word cuntloaf :grin:

#28 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

I take driving as a serious responsibility. That said, I did drive while intoxicated way back in my early college days. I wasn't aware that I wasn't sober enough not to drive at the moment. We were way the hell out in the countryside, there was no other traffic, and I didn't swerve off the road or anything, but I sure as hell shouldn't have been driving. I never made the mistake of getting behind the wheel in a state like that ever again. 

I will have a beer or a drink, and mix it up with water or juice if I am still thirsty when I am the one driving. I'm not a big drinker by any means, usually one beverage is enough to satisfy me, and I do NOT enjoy the sensation of being drunk, so it's usually not an issue for me to take the turn of driving if others wish to imbibe. 

Drinking and driving - the risks just aren't worth it.

#29 DF

DF
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

It kinda makes it tough to smoke, talk on the phone and shift with a drink in my hand.... Be really...if I don't wanna drink n drive I make sure I have people in the car.

jedi mind trick

#30 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

• Of fatal car accidents in 2009, 32 percent involved alcohol-impaired drivers.
  • On average, one person died every 48 minutes in 2009 due to an alcohol-impaired driver.
  • In 2009, 14 percent of children ages 14 and younger killed in crashes died because of alcohol.
  • Among the people killed in these drunk driving crashes, 66% were drivers, 27% were motor vehicle occupants, and 7% were non-occupants

Well that last one is good news at least, 2/3rds of the time the person being killed is the drunk driver. It's *only* a third of the time that they're killing other people :rolleyes:

#31 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,136 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

I tried drinking and driving on a rural country road back in high school and I sucked at it so that is why I don't drink and drive. 1-2 beers maybe but don't even like having the second one if I have to drive within the hour.

#32 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:55 AM

The prison rape.

:rolleyes:

#33 Mr Bo Berry

Mr Bo Berry
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationDerby CT

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:32 AM

My inability to limit my drinking

#34 Occifer Boland

Occifer Boland
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,838 posts
  • LocationHazlet, NJ

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:48 AM

Always have a cab / taxi number stored in your phone.... I have been guilty(not by law) many times for drinking and driving ... Not proud one bit... Had a couple instances where cops let me go.... My last serious night of drinking and driving was 2004... Only 2 miles from home.. I jammed my breaks so hard to avoid killing a squirrel ; my face smashed into steering wheel...I blacked out.. Next thing I knew, a cop was asking me what happened.. He either bought my story or knew my family... Cause he told me to get home safely ...

#35 musicfan

musicfan
  • VibeTribe
  • 731 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:48 AM

I got a DUI after an Eric Clapton concert in March of 1990 here in Charlotte...  I learned my lesson...  That shit was expensive and embarising....

#36 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:59 AM

I rarely go out these days b/c I'm lolold & but I always taxi it or figure out another way when I do. I won't drink a drop when driving my kids. Not worth it IMO. I get a lot of slack for that but I don't care.

I guess if I did get faced with that decision, what would stop me is the thought of hurting/killing another person. I couldn't live with that

#37 Goose

Goose
  • VibeTribe
  • 619 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:10 AM

My parents driving around in the 50's and 60's, even 70's has little to no deterrent. I can't even imagine how insurance and lawsuits worked then. I got pulled over around 1980 coming back from the shore in NJ the penalty was like $400 and 6 months suspended license in NJ and I didn't even live there, so not a big deal. Now I'm sure it's terrible consequences that you'd have to be stupid to risk.

• Of fatal car accidents in 2009, 32 percent involved alcohol-impaired drivers.[/*]
  • On average, one person died every 48 minutes in 2009 due to an alcohol-impaired driver.[/*]
  • In 2009, 14 percent of children ages 14 and younger killed in crashes died because of alcohol.[/*]
  • Among the people killed in these drunk driving crashes, 66% were drivers, 27% were motor vehicle occupants, and 7% were non-occupants[/*]
Well that last one is good news at least, 2/3rds of the time the person being killed is the drunk driver. It's *only* a third of the time that they're killing other people :rolleyes:

Freakonomics had some statistics like the odds of getting randomly pulled over drunk are 1 in 27,000 and walking home from the bar short distances drunk you're 12 times more likely to die than if you drove.

#38 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:29 AM

incidentally , the limit for anyone holding a commercial motor vehicle license is .04 bac. that's whether you are operating a commercial vehicle or your personal vehicle.

#39 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,977 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

I usually forget where I parked   :fp:

#40 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:43 AM

I already had #1, and paid the price, I don't want the second.

#41 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,720 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:58 AM

I just told a friend of mine that the biggest deterrent I have is losing my career...    She just ripped me apart for that. 

She was right to do so.  You could kill someone.  I am no saint but come on.

#42 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,985 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:05 AM

One very good reason...

Friend was driving home all hammered up on the back roads of Pennsylvania. Short story is a car crossed into his lane and they collided. Other car veered off road hit a tree and the driver died. Wasn't his fault but was still convicted of vehicular manslaughter and did 5 years in the state pen. :shocked:

#43 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,985 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

Do you feel the same towards people who smoke weed or do drugs and drive?

#44 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:27 AM

Yes I do. Same thing imo

#45 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,720 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

the police can steal your blood.  that's what happened to me.  then you play the 3 month wait to see if you are being arrested game.  Trust me it is not fun.

#46 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

Drugs other than weed? Yes i feel the same way.  Weed i'm not sure... tbh I guess I must not think it's as bad since i have been in a car with someone driving who had smoked but I would never get in a car with someone driving who was drunk (I did once when I was much much younger and have always looked back at that as one of the stupidest things I've ever done).  I've seen some video that showed people actually drove better on weed but anything related to weed is so full of propaganda that it's hard to say what that even means.  I guess it would depend on the person and what kind of stuff they are smoking, someone who smokes daily and isn't smoking powerful stuff I think would reach a "sober enough to drive" state much more quickly than someone who was drunk. Someone with less experience or smoking really good shit, maybe not. Also I think now that I'm having a kid I would also be much less likely to get in a car with someone who had smoked, but I haven't been faced with that kind of decision in quite a long time at this point.

#47 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

My Aunt was murdered by a drunk driver.  My Mom's family was ripped to shreds.  That's my deterrent 

#48 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,066 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

my deterrent is balls.....big fat swollen hairy balls

#49 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,136 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:09 AM

Here's a quick story after my experimenting with drinking and driving on rural VT roads.  My friends and I all decided that we would take turns drinking OR driving.  It was my turn and I had one beer at 1030pm while they drank like fish.  At 130am we got pulled over for failure to stop at a yield sign....then at a traffic light that didn't exist....all sorts of reasons for the stop but back then it didn't matter.  My drunkest friend blew dead sober, my other friend who was somewhat drunk still blew legal.....that ass failed to finish his drink during the stop which almost cost me an open beverage ticket....I almost drank it for him.  So my turn.....twice the legal limit=handcuffs and a ride to the police station.  Blah blah blah with the details of them offering me to leave if I rat on people.  Fast forward an hour an they let us leave but....made my falling down drunk friend drive us home since he blew the most sober.  Staggering and slurring he tried to convince them that I had to drive since I was sober and he was wasted.....nope, they made him drive.

In the weeks following that event I was black listed from dating all of the girls I was dating and a bunch of other unneeded shit.  When the state test came back that I had no BAC I felt like a free man but the damage was already done.  I was in the eyes of my community a drunk driver, a piece of shit.

Fast forward maybe 10 years and my friend who drove me home drunk became the chief of police in that same town.  Oh and the other drunk friend worked for the newspaper that ran the article about my stop. 

Moral of my short story...drunk or maybe a few drinks or even sober, the police can f with you and even if state or blood test prove you are sober the damage hurts....  It's not worth getting pulled over for being a bad boy that the police want to pull over because they are bored or having some assclown run into you or whatever other reason to cause a stop and a FST.

#50 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

A DWI checkpoint in Smithtown LI NY nabbed 13!! drunk drivers between 11-2am. Thirteen!! Last night ,its on channel 12 news