• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,744 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

After Jeremy Beach's Black Forest home burned to the ground Tuesday, leaving him with little more than the clothes on his back, he started making calls to cancel the trash pickup, utilities, and other services for a house that no longer exists.

Most of those providers were understanding, he said. Then he got to DirectTV.

They told him he would owe $400 for a satellite dish and two receivers destroyed in the blaze.

"I couldn't believe it," he said Thursday. "I had lost everything and they acted like they could care less."

Beach escaped the fire with his 5-year-old son, two dogs and his wife, who is 37 weeks pregnant with twins. They left behind chickens and a rabbit along with most of their possessions.

"I need that money to rebuild my life: cups, plates, shoes, a new bike for my kid. I got so angry I had to hang up."

This is not the first time locals hit by wildfires have found DirectTV less than sympathetic. During the Waldo Canyon fire in June 2012, when 347 homes in Mountain Shadows were destroyed, DirectTV also charged customers.

Many companies write off such losses. During the Waldo Canyon fire, the Pikes Peak Library District told people not to worry about books lost in the fire. Same with Comcast and CenturyLink with destroyed equipment.

A spokeswoman for DirectTV told The Gazette at the time that it was still charging because most peoples' insurance would cover the cost of its equipment. DirectTV did not respond to requests for comment Thursday.

Beach said DirectTV told him to get his insurance to pay.

"I tried to explain that a couple hundred dollars is nothing to them but a lot to me," said Beach. "I need that money. I can use it to buy diapers, clothes for my family."

#2 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

This sounds like a generally standard business practice...  are they expected to foot the bill for every loss related to fire?  that's gonna add up.

#3 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,590 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Kinda agree with UC. They would go bankrupt if they had to give that stuff away all the time.

Sucks either way.

Why wouldn't insurance cover that?

#4 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,744 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

Understood, but it sounds like the rep was cold and unapologetic.

#5 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

oh wait... he lit the fire? 

:afro:  :bouncey:

#6 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

This does not surprise me at all. DirecTV has got to be THE worst business I've ever been associated with in my lifetime. In the 2 years I was with the company, the reliability was awful, there were more than a few "surprise" fees and customer service was just plain awful. And once I did connect with customer service, trying to get a straight answer was nigh impossible.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: How this company remains in business truly mystifies me. 

#7 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

along the same lines... I'm still really pissed that BIC flatly refuses to replace the lighter someone stole :joker:

#8 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

I still have (2) Direct TV receivers that were not more than 2 months old that I was told I would receive a prepaid box to return them in.  this was about a year ago.

#9 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

oh, and they told me I could use the satellite dish for target practice.

#10 melissaphish

melissaphish
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationHawleyville, MA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

Uhhh, home owners insurace will cover that. Unless he has none, in which case I have little sympathy. You dont own something worth several hundred thousand dollars and not insure it. You just dont.

#11 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,744 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

Is it law to have insurance, like when you own a car?

People in this area know better...

#12 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

I guess what I'm wondering is like if people lost cars in these fires.... did all the auto finance places go "oh my you poor souls... DON'T EVEN WORRY ABOUT IT!!!

#13 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

Uhhh, home owners insurace will cover that. Unless he has none, in which case I have little sympathy. You dont own something worth several hundred thousand dollars and not insure it. You just dont.

Well, you can. If it burns to the ground that's your problem though.

On a similar note, shouldn't the fire dept. that was paid for through local taxation be on the hook for reimbursement since they didn't save the guys house? (thats a joke and a shit stir, people)

#14 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

Is it law to have insurance, like when you own a car?

People in this area know better...

Not here.  Although a leinholder will likely require it if you have a mortgage.

#15 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

#16 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,590 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

If you have a bank mortgage then you have to have home owners insurance.

If not then you are not required to have it. Although its not a good idea.

#17 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,945 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:29 AM

Hartford is The Insurance City.

#18 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,744 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

DirecTV Friday called a local man who lost his home in the Black Forest Fire to apologize for his company telling him to pay for his burned satellite dish and other equipment.

"The agent who spoke with Mr. Beach was wrong, and we have contacted the customer to apologize and assure him and his family that we will do everything we can to help them through this difficult time," DirecTV said in a statement. "DirecTV has a clear policy that fully supports its customers during natural disasters that includes replacement of damaged equipment at no charge, long-term suspension of accounts for customers who must leave their home, and waiving cancellation fees for those who need to disconnect service."

#19 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,397 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

you know what's the saddest part of this? My friend canceled her direct tv and they REFUSED to come and get the box or dish telling her she had to deal with it

#20 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

too bad they didn't just have a streamlined protocol to submit insurance paperwork automatically for the customer, taking the burden off them. A polite voice saying "we will contact your insurance co. to file a claim. no insurance?  I'm so sorry for the loss of your home."    --- All better

.... and they can just eat the  one's not insured, as we all know they toss equipment all the time rather than uninstall it.