• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Has anyone been following this story?

Everyday there is a new crazy story about this.

I was even going to post this yesterday, but was like, eh, then this morning, another crazy story.  

I put this in politics because many people are blaming Philly L&I and the old world politics that permeate through Philly city hall.

#2 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,546 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

the last i heard they were looking for the operator of some construction equipment, saying he was high on drooogs at the time of the colapse. Possibly not even certified to be using the equipment.

after posting , i went to see what i could find today.

1 arrested $1,000,000 bail

building inspector shot/killed himself

crazy

http://news.yahoo.co...w7QtDMD target=

#3 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

the last i heard they were looking for the operator of some construction equipment, saying he was high on drooogs at the time of the colapse. Possibly not even certified to be using the equipment.

after posting , i went to see what i could find today.

1 arrested $1,000,000 bail

building inspector shot/killed himself

crazy

http://news.yahoo.co...w7QtDMD target=

Lots more.  But the craziest is...

Last night the L&I inspector who inspected the property 15 days before, commited suicide.

Many stories of the excavator of his b-lunting it up before working at other sites, and this site.

#4 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

And now they are blaming the last hold out business that got destroyed from the collapse, the Salvation Army.  They were the last hold out who would not sell to the land all around the corner.  I think the owner was trying to buy this parcel, so he could develop the entire corner and not just around the corner stroe.

Is Salvation Army dodging scaffolding issue?

T'S DAMN NEAR impossible to get a straight answer from most of the people involved in the tragic Market Street building collapse.

Even the Salvation Army.

Fingers are now being pointed in the organization's direction for the first time since a four-story building crumbled on June 5 and flattened the neighboring Salvation Army thrift shop at 22nd and Market streets, killing six people and injuring 13 others.

Two lawyers have claimed that the Salvation Army rebuffed requests to have protective scaffolding installed on the store's roof before demolition workers began haphazardly tearing down the property next door.

... (for more click link)

Read more at http://www.philly.co...jPjLubWUkCC8.99

#5 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

And the blame game continues...

http://www.philly.co..._s_deadly_.html

A week after the collapse, which killed six, here's where we are: When men in suits aren't announcing "broad investigations," they're playing the blame game. Some are doing both at the same time.

So far, only the excavator operator has been arrested. Sean Benschop, who authorities say had marijuana and painkillers in his system that day, is charged with six counts of involuntary manslaughter.

Anyone want to venture a guess on the ETA of a public perp-walk for the guys with high-priced lawyers?

Read more at http://www.philly.co...GOALJmTQCliD.99

#6 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,284 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

So far, only the excavator operator has been arrested. Sean Benschop, who authorities say had marijuana and painkillers in his system that day, is charged with six counts of involuntary manslaughter.

Shit rolls downhill, this guy will take the brunt and the suits might end up paying a fine.

#7 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

Shit rolls downhill, this guy will take the brunt and the suits might end up paying a fine.

Yes it does.  Seems everyone is trying to pin blame on the workers, or people in charge of demolition.

The problem is that the oversight is so poor elsewhere in Philly that most people assume it is the city's fault in some way.  Which goes back to the 1700's politics that still permates today. 

But the city has a picture taken by the L&I inspector and their report from their inspection 2 weeks before the collapse.

The city is afraid of being sued.  7 of the victims have already filed suit, and one or two of the dead, their families are suing.

Side bar of Philly politics:

Philly is in the 75-80% bracket for registered democrats of all people registered to vote.   

See article below, Romney did not get 1 vote in all Philly precincts.

http://www.philly.co...zero_votes.html

Forget the orange and the black...  Go BLUE Philly!

#8 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

it's a shame you cannot operate heavy equipment while high as a giraffe's ass anymore.  especially demolition work.

those were the days

#9 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

it's a shame you cannot operate heavy equipment while high as a giraffe's ass anymore.  especially demolition work.

those were the days

In a story I read yesterday about work done by the same guy who is now charged.  He was operating his excavator at another site (row house being torn down).  People who lived next door to this work, recognized him when he was on TV being arrested.

These people tell the story how for 2 weeks while he was working on site, he would b-lunt it up, and then start working, and the people paid no mind to this fact.

MeOmYo - Back in the day were you allowed to drive your excavator from one corner of the city to the other?  So for example you drive it to work every morning.  In this case he drove from north Philly to West Philly.  They say he did this pretty often.

#10 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

In a story I read yesterday about work done by the same guy who is now charged.  He was operating his excavator at another site (row house being torn down).  People who lived next door to this work, recognized him when he was on TV being arrested.

These people tell the story how for 2 weeks while he was working on site, he would b-lunt it up, and then start working, and the people paid no mind to this fact.

MeOmYo - Back in the day were you allowed to drive your excavator from one corner of the city to the other?  So for example you drive it to work every morning.  In this case he drove from north Philly to West Philly.  They say he did this pretty often.

Well, it's not city around here but I see all types of equipment going down the road.  As I understand it, the limitation is the damage you do to the road.  For example, an excavator with steel tracks will tear up a blacktop road whereas one with rubber track will not (with an experienced operator anyway).  Note though that my understanding of the laws really has zero to do with ever reading any laws.

If he was driving it that far, I would guess it was a gradall type of excavator, which means it was on tires, not tracks and is road legal.

#11 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,388 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

wow 

#12 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

Yeah, this still is in the local news.

#13 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,388 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

Incidentally, there is this huge ugly, dilapidated red brick building on the corner of Fifth and Kingsley Ave here in Asbury PArk that used to be the Salvationb Army Retirement Home....it is abandonned, and has been for years.  Prime real-estate right on Sunset Lake, 1 block from the Ocean.  I've always wondered why they dont tear tat down and develop it.  I suppose the SA is just waiting for it to cave in naturally?

#14 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Incidentally, there is this huge ugly, dilapidated red brick building on the corner of Fifth and Kingsley Ave here in Asbury PArk that used to be the Salvationb Army Retirement Home....it is abandonned, and has been for years.  Prime real-estate right on Sunset Lake, 1 block from the Ocean.  I've always wondered why they dont tear tat down and develop it.  I suppose the SA is just waiting for it to cave in naturally?

Probably because it is zoned for commercial use, not residential.

Although, with the storm, you figure that would be a good excuse to change the zoning.

#15 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,388 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

it is def residential, as there are two really nice houses right next to it.  Its more like SA prolly will not sell the property, for whatever reason.  Meanwhile, there it sits, 12 stories of ugly.

#16 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

it is def residential, as there are two really nice houses right next to it.  Its more like SA prolly will not sell the property, for whatever reason.  Meanwhile, there it sits, 12 stories of ugly.

You said it was a Salvation Army Retirement home.  This falls under commercial, since there was probably staff that attended to senior needs.

The neighboring properties do not dictate the use of a specific property.  Many corner homes or properties are usually zoned commercial, especially in commercial areas.  For example, our store is on a block of all residential homes, and we have the corner which is commercial use.

For example this Salvation Army Retirement home was declined the commercial variance.

http://citizensvoice...enter-1.1101550

#17 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,388 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

i gotcha...

#18 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

i gotcha...

Plus I assume the demolition and construction costs are prohibitive to updating or reusing the property.

Gotta make sure they make money.  If not, that will sit dormant for a LONG time.

#19 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Around here, once a building is deemed unusable, it can be removed from the tax role.  So it is just the same as paying taxes on a vacant lot.

#20 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,388 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

found this article from Feb 2013...

http://asburyparksun...-army-building/

#21 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

With the release of the raw video of the collapse yesterday, a new round of articles.

They say the video almost all but clears the excavator who was charged in this case.

http://www.philly.co...ooperation.html