Bees

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

Going to pick up a hive & all other accessories today.  Bees to come in 1- 1 1/2 weeks.  The whole set-up including bees will be ~$300 which I didn't think was too bad.

Never done bees before but have a few neighbors that have them.  The only spot I think will work is on an eastern facing slope in the woods a little.  Not an ideal place for morning sun but I don't want them too close to the house, or too far.

Any suggestions?  Equipment preferences?  Good reads?

:bee:

#2 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

Lotsa good info here:

http://www.beesource...d95a7c0528c5335

A screened bottom board is a good thing to have...helps keep the mite counts down a little bit.

The Hive and the Honey Bee and The ABC & XYZ of Bee Culture are both great references to have if you get really into it.

If you have bears in the area, a solar electric fence, or some other protection might not be a bad idea - I learned this the hard way.

#3 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

I could yap for hours...feel free to PM me if you have questions. :)

#4 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,048 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Don't put your penis in the hive.

#5 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

31476111.jpg

#6 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

31476111.jpg

I can has special viewer for viewing?

#7 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

brought a nuc home Sunday night and set it up next to the hive.  probably move the frames over to the hive tonight.  was hoping to give them a little more time to acclimate but this rain has had them stuck in the nuc since they were moved.

#8 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,351 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

That's some sound advice right there.

#9 musicfan

musicfan
  • VibeTribe
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

:clap:

People in the office are wondering why I am laughing so hard but boy did that do the trick !  

#10 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,013 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

Bees are synovial joints of the hymenoptera.

#11 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,048 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

:clap:

People in the office are wondering why I am laughing so hard but boy did that do the trick !  

Have fun explaining why you are laughing...  :rolling:

#12 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

:bee: <3

#13 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

36933764.jpg

:afro:

#14 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,674 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Bees are cool

#15 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

Cool BEEns! :bee:

#16 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Bees are very cool.... but I guess once they get scarce we're gonna start nuking eachother over them.

silly bees.

MONSANTO GENOCIDE…Putin warns John Kerry ‘Bee Apocalypse’ will lead to World War

http://beforeitsnews...ar-2522352.html

#17 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

didn't move the frames last night.  went out to but they were all busy buzzing around & workin & shit.  Since it was the first day they could do that since Sunday, I decided not to screw up their world for the the night.  probably on Friday.

interestingly, I still haven't had the urge to stick my penis in the hive.  :dunno:

#18 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

interestingly, I still haven't had the urge to stick my penis in the hive.   :dunno:

Oh, you will.  You.  Will.

#19 musicfan

musicfan
  • VibeTribe
  • 635 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Its what all the cool kidz are buzzing about...     1...  Cut a hole in the hive...  

#20 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

Its what all the cool kidz are buzzing about...     1...  Cut a hole in the hive...  

2... Feel that sweet, sweet honey envelope your...

#21 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

wise to prepare with a jack o lantern and a few Cacti in advance....     Just sayin.

#22 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,013 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

It's my dick in a hive.

#23 foo

foo
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:11 AM

:funny1: this thread delivers!

#24 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:33 PM

bees were out and about Sunday for the first time.  at least the first time I've seen them anyway.  there is a big pile-o-dead bees outside the hive which wasn't there the weekend before so it looks like spring cleaning has begun for them.

I didn't get any honey last year as they managed to fill the 2 hive bodies and just started building wax in the super when cold weather hit.  With the wax in the hive bodies already there, they should have a good start this summer.  Also, am thinking of getting another hive.  Someone fairly local is selling hives (bottom board, 2 bodies, screen, super and tops) that are painted and ready to go for $200.

Hey TtB, if adding another hive, should I split my hive or get another nuc?  I've been told that splitting the hive will hurt the life cycle of mites.  I don't mind if it slows down my current hive as I'm really not in it for the honey.

#25 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

#1s?

#26 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,457 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

bees were out and about Sunday for the first time.  at least the first time I've seen them anyway.  there is a big pile-o-dead bees outside the hive which wasn't there the weekend before so it looks like spring cleaning has begun for them.

I didn't get any honey last year as they managed to fill the 2 hive bodies and just started building wax in the super when cold weather hit.  With the wax in the hive bodies already there, they should have a good start this summer.  Also, am thinking of getting another hive.  Someone fairly local is selling hives (bottom board, 2 bodies, screen, super and tops) that are painted and ready to go for $200.

Hey TtB, if adding another hive, should I split my hive or get another nuc?  I've been told that splitting the hive will hurt the life cycle of mites.  I don't mind if it slows down my current hive as I'm really not in it for the honey.

A coworker of mine just started a bee farm last summer.  He too did not yield any honey.  He says it takes a season or two before that happens.

I purchase lots of honey, and usually only buy local honey sourced from local farms.  This is how we got on the subject of his bee farm.

#27 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

I'm really not in it for the honey.

so you are into sticking it in the hive?

#28 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

#1s?

hmm, not sure I have one, but I can make one the next sunny day (which is not today) :smile:

A coworker of mine just started a bee farm last summer.  He too did not yield any honey.  He says it takes a season or two before that happens.

I purchase lots of honey, and usually only buy local honey sourced from local farms.  This is how we got on the subject of his bee farm.

honey will be a bonus.  what they do for the garden (both vegetable and flower) alone is worth it IMO.  Plus, they're kinda cool, in a scare the shit out of me kinda way :lol:

#29 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,457 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

How many bee stings have you gotten so far?

#30 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

Congrats on having them make it through the winter! It was a real one this year.

A nuc or package is certainly less complicated, but it makes sense that whichever hive you weren't putting the old queen into would have a reduced mite load for a while (no eggs/larvae from the bees means none from the mites either).

If you're going to do a split, read up on it...if you want the second hive to raise a new queen, you have to make sure the frames you're moving have brand new eggs in them so that a new boss lady can be raised, etc. Not so much an issue if you're ordering a queen to put in with them. And feel free to ask me more questions. I could talk about this stuff for hours.

There's definitely a feeling of accomplishment in creating a successful split. (Though that's probably kinda dumb, because the bees are the ones doin' the work. :lol: )

Looking forward to the day Ms. Kitty and I have a piece of land, and I can have bees again. :)

#31 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

Another positive to doing a split is that it makes it less likely that the first hive will cast a swarm, though if you're not so concerned about honey production, that's not a huge deal.

#32 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

#1s?

Here's one from last summer on a hot afternoon.  They're just chillin outside because their AC brokedown :lol:

IMG952143_zps5885f572.jpg

How many bee stings have you gotten so far?

only 1 so far.  but, the last time I was stung by a bee before that I was 7, and allergic.  when I first got the hive I did all my business at night with them.  shortly thereafter a neighbor that has bees as well informed me that it is much better to do it in the day when most of them are gone.  After doing that, I have gotten much more comfortable around them.  They're really not looking for a fight, they're just looking to make honey.

#33 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

Killer+Bees+1974+-+001.jpg

#34 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

so you are into sticking it in the hive?

:lol: not yet

Congrats on having them make it through the winter! It was a real one this year.

A nuc or package is certainly less complicated, but it makes sense that whichever hive you weren't putting the old queen into would have a reduced mite load for a while (no eggs/larvae from the bees means none from the mites either).

If you're going to do a split, read up on it...if you want the second hive to raise a new queen, you have to make sure the frames you're moving have brand new eggs in them so that a new boss lady can be raised, etc. Not so much an issue if you're ordering a queen to put in with them. And feel free to ask me more questions. I could talk about this stuff for hours.

There's definitely a feeling of accomplishment in creating a successful split. (Though that's probably kinda dumb, because the bees are the ones doin' the work. :lol: )

Looking forward to the day Ms. Kitty and I have a piece of land, and I can have bees again. :)

Thanks.  I have to switch the hive bodies around here pretty soon and can get good look at the frames then.

#35 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

...when I first got the hive I did all my business at night with them.  shortly thereafter a neighbor that has bees as well informed me that it is much better to do it in the day when most of them are gone.

Yup. You're much better off when they have something to do. :)

They get pretty ornery in the late summer/early fall when the flowers are all gone, and they have nothing to do but sit around and defend what they've worked for all spring and summer.

#36 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

:lol: not yet

Thanks.  I have to switch the hive bodies around here pretty soon and can get good look at the frames then.

Cool. And by brand new, I mean laid that day or *maybe* the day before. I'm a little rusty, but I believe the eggs have to be less than 3 days old to be usable for queen raising. And you need a coupla days in there for the new hive to realize it doesn't have a queen and get to work on fixing that.

#37 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

I believe I remember reading it is also risky to allow them to raise their own because the queen must go out and mate, where she is susceptible to being eaten.  Then they have to start all over again.  A couple times of this and they will not have enough time to prepare for winter.

#38 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

I believe I remember reading it is also risky to allow them to raise their own because the queen must go out and mate, where she is susceptible to being eaten.  Then they have to start all over again.  A couple times of this and they will not have enough time to prepare for winter.

There's some truth to that, and without a queen in the hive laying new eggs, they don't really have a shot at starting over, unless you move in another frame from the old hive.

Plus, depending on how the vendor of a purchased queen did things, if they're bred by artificial insemination (yes JBetty, they actually do this), the odds of having good genetics are probably better than if you have an open-mated queen from your own hive, or from the queen seller's hives. Again, I'm a little fuzzy, but I think this is generally only done for breeder queens, and not queens for sale for hives.

So I'm probably just being confusing now. :D

#39 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

2915.jpg

#40 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

Do they have little tiny vibrators for them, too?

#41 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

Since when do we care about women's pleasure around here?

#42 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

Since when do we care about women's pleasure around here?

I used to feel sorry for you, but the basement is making more and more sense all the time.

#43 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#44 Sensei Miller

Sensei Miller
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

A vibrator for the queen, huh? So that's what all the buzz is about.

This thread is seriously awesome.  We need more bees and beekeepers!

About how much land do you need to keep bees, between keeping them away from your house, and keeping them far enough from the neighbors.

Are we talking full-on farm in east Tazwookistan?  A few acres in a quiet suburb?

How long until you get the dogs, with bees in their mouths, that shoot bees out of their mouths when they bark?

Truly though, this is awesome stuff.  I wish I was in a position to look into something like it for myself.

#45 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

My hive is maybe 50 ft from my back door, which has a 16 ft deck off it. Hasn't been a problem yet. That said, I live in the sticks with plenty of wild vegetation to keep them busy. All they wanna do is make honey. Something gets in the way of that and they get pissy (rain, invading hive, getting squished).

#46 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

A few acres in a quiet suburb?

A couple would do. Probably even less. People have hives on the tops of buildings in New York. :)

#47 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

well, getting another hive dropped off Tuesday and I just ordered another nuc which should be here late May.  they went up $40 from last year.

#48 territoryranger

territoryranger
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

Yup. You're much better off when they have something to do. :)

They get pretty ornery in the late summer/early fall when the flowers are all gone, and they have nothing to do but sit around and defend what they've worked for all spring and summer.

They need a field of clover,which should flower till almost winter(mums too)....,at least on long island it does.........if i remember correctly.......

#49 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

well, getting another hive dropped off Tuesday and I just ordered another nuc which should be here late May.  they went up $40 from last year.

Nice! Big price jump though...

They need a field of clover,which should flower till almost winter(mums too)....,at least on long island it does.........if i remember correctly.......

While clover's a nice source of nectar/pollen if they can find it, there are an amazing number of sources throughout their foraging months. First and last major sources often start with dandelions and end with goldenrod and asters.

#50 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

Yay!  This makes me happy.  My brother just put hives in across from me.  I can't wait to get into this more.  Bee's are one of the most important little beings on this planet.  Makes me happy that my fellow humans are recognizing that too.