IUD side effects

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

so now that i know about the side effects of the iud, i'm interested in an alternative BC .. even considering having my tubes tied. thoughts?

#2 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,450 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:34 PM

i've heard that having your tubes tied can lead to longer periods with stronger cramps. but, never having had it done, i have no 1st hand experience ;)

#3 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

I had my IUD removed in Nov. The side effects were tremendous. I'm so much happier now. We use Condoms. I am on no more anything, ever again. Condoms work. I know many people, including my mother, that have had their tubes tied and they all say the same thing. IT is the best option out there, if you are active and you know you are done with the child making.

#4 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:08 AM

I can't believe the side effects that I was having with the IUD until I had it out. WOW!

#5 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:21 AM

i've been close to tears all day just thinking about all the doctors i've seen for all these symptoms and not once did any of them tell me it could be the IUD

#6 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:22 AM

for 7 years

#7 twirly jill

twirly jill
  • VibeTribe
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:28 PM

oy- that sucks little frog.

i started using the nova ring about 6 months ago and i love it. i know exactly when i'm getting my period for the first time in my life. i have a thyroid disorder, so i used to go anywhere from 3-6 months without getting it.

my sister just told me she's looking into getting her iud out and having her tubes tied. her husband got a vasectomy, but it didn't work. :huh:

#8 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,823 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:16 PM

aww, I'm sorry Al.

I love my IUD. With the rate of breast cancer in my family, I won't use hormonal birth control, so my copper IUD is amazing for me.

I hope you find something that works!

#9 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

can they do tubal ligation through laparoscopy now? if so, i would probably opt for that. good luck, lf.

#10 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

oy- that sucks little frog.

i started using the nova ring about 6 months ago and i love it. i know exactly when i'm getting my period for the first time in my life. i have a thyroid disorder, so i used to go anywhere from 3-6 months without getting it.

my sister just told me she's looking into getting her iud out and having her tubes tied. her husband got a vasectomy, but it didn't work. :huh:

:eek:

what is the nova ring?

maybe i could go back to the copper iud :undecided: not really sure what i want to do now. i just want this out and i want my body to heal.

#11 Spiderweb

Spiderweb
  • VibeTribe
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

It's Nuva ring. It is a ring you insert once a month. It does contain hormones so, I don't think it's what your looking for. I've been on it for 5 years w/ no problems.
www.nuvaring.com

#12 bsktcase

bsktcase
  • VibeTribe
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:08 PM

Don't they have IUD's that have NO hormones? Just the copper T, right? Couldn't you just get that kind?

#13 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,823 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

Don't they have IUD's that have NO hormones? Just the copper T, right? Couldn't you just get that kind?

that's what I have. I love my copper IUD! :heart:

#14 bsktcase

bsktcase
  • VibeTribe
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

I had adverse reactions to the hormones in BC pills that caused me to have surgery TWICE...I'll never do that to my body again.

#15 Sunny Sunshine

Sunny Sunshine
  • VibeTribe
  • 653 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:01 PM

What about no BC at all? I chart my temperatures and check my lady parts everyday. I've avoided pregnancy for over a year now doing it.

Check out www.fertilityfriend.com it's free and it's really helpful.

#16 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:02 PM

i had the paragard, the copper non-hormonal type. i had it removed this morning. before you believe that this is a safe alternative you should read some of this

http://www.topix.com...N7FDCJOTQN53/p2

#17 bsktcase

bsktcase
  • VibeTribe
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:09 PM

i had the paragard, the copper non-hormonal type. i had it removed this morning. before you believe that this is a safe alternative you should read some of this

http://www.topix.com...N7FDCJOTQN53/p2

That sucks.

#18 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

I had developed a number of other symptoms and finally started to suspect the IUD. I did a lot of research on the web (which is how I came across this forum). In my research I learned about copper toxicity and copper/zinc imbalances which led me to information about estrogen/ progesterone imbalances and estrogen dominance ( which contributes to thyroid hormone problems) as well as discovering the copper IUD works by causing an inflammatory response in the uterus which triggers stress hormones, which triggers weight gain and water retention.

So, the conclusion I came to was that although the IUD itself does not contain hormones, it does cause a reaction in my body that messes with my hormones.

Jennifer
Scottsdale, AZ

#19 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

so what are you going to do for bc LF? i am SO ready to get this out and not use anything hormonal but i am afraid to do something permanent or get pregnant.

#20 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

condoms~

#21 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

let your body, be your body. :)

#22 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:05 PM

condoms .. and i think i owe you my life musicmomma xoxoxo ..times infinity

#23 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:32 AM

you're very welcome LF, i will be getting mine out as soon as i have health insurance again. i got all the paperwork together now i just need to mail it in. xoxo.

#24 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

I don't have health insurance. Planned parenthood took mine out.

#25 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

I bled for 4.5 weeks. My body had some cleaning to do. It was happy. My body is much happier. My hair is much happier. My skin, my muscle aches are gone. My gross down under is back to normal. My labido. I could go on.

#26 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:03 PM

thanks wende but i have other female issues that require me to do this at my drs office. last thing i need is to be bleeding out at PP and have them have no idea what to do, you know? i can't wait to get mine out!

#27 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

Understand. I've always used PP as my primary unless i'm having a bab :lol: I fell in love with the doctor there. *yes, they have real live doctors there. ;)

#28 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

Understand. I've always used PP as my primary unless i'm having a bab :lol: I fell in love with the doctor there. *yes, they have real live doctors there. ;)

Up until last year I always used PP as my primary as well. And I had insurance. I just like to support the organization. :)

Good Luck Alison! I hope everything improves when you get it out of your system :heart:

and fwiw, I havent used a hormonal or chemical birth control since I was 26, just cycle beads and condoms and old fashion pull out. :funny1:

#29 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:05 PM

terra, i haven't had a cycle in over 12 years. i can't wait to get a period again. :undecided:

#30 Sunny Sunshine

Sunny Sunshine
  • VibeTribe
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:16 PM

Up until last year I always used PP as my primary as well. And I had insurance. I just like to support the organization. :)

Good Luck Alison! I hope everything improves when you get it out of your system :heart:

and fwiw, I havent used a hormonal or chemical birth control since I was 26, just cycle beads and condoms and old fashion pull out. :funny1:

I've been doing natural family planning too Terra :) It's so much better! I use a chart and temperatures, it's so easy! 4 months and we can start trying too!

#31 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

the doctor was still telling while she was taking it out that my health problems could not possibly be the IUD because this was the safe non-hormonal type. well, hundreds of women disagree.

some women apparently have no problems with it, but they should be monitoring all women with a paragard iud for copper toxicity and hormonal changes. ugh .. i'm so angry, i was desperate to get it out, i'm so glad they took me asap.

she said, it would be interesting to hear if my health improved now that it was out .. ugh

really, it wasn't hard for me to find hundreds of women complaining about the same symptoms right online. and it gets progressively worse the longer it's in, duh. :undecided: i'm horrified. i'll keep you posted as to any improvements in my health. i'm in the middle of my cycle and i lost 2 lbs overnight. weird.

#32 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

http://www.drlwilson...ty_syndrome.htm

#33 Bonsai

Bonsai
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

I had developed a number of other symptoms and finally started to suspect the IUD. I did a lot of research on the web (which is how I came across this forum). In my research I learned about copper toxicity and copper/zinc imbalances which led me to information about estrogen/ progesterone imbalances and estrogen dominance ( which contributes to thyroid hormone problems) as well as discovering the copper IUD works by causing an inflammatory response in the uterus which triggers stress hormones, which triggers weight gain and water retention.

So, the conclusion I came to was that although the IUD itself does not contain hormones, it does cause a reaction in my body that messes with my hormones.

Jennifer
Scottsdale, AZ

I've been wondering about whether there are side effects to the copper IUD. I've never heard that it works this way before. I've had the Paraguard for a few years now. I've never experienced weight gain with it. I've always have emotional problems that are probably partly related to hormones but I've just resigned myself to them at this point. It's worked the best of all the BC for me so far as being able to stay relatively sane and still not get pregnant, but I have my resignations about it. I don't think you can put something in your uterus without triggering a hormonal response of some kind, even if you're not putting hormones in there. I think it's probably possible to find a hormonal BC with the right balance to not mess with my head too much, but that's a lot of Dr.'s appointments, time and money that I don't have.

I'm glad you were able to come to a conclusion of what's right for you and take action.

#34 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

the doctor was still telling while she was taking it out that my health problems could not possibly be the IUD because this was the safe non-hormonal type. well, hundreds of women disagree.

some women apparently have no problems with it, but they should be monitoring all women with a paragard iud for copper toxicity and hormonal changes. ugh .. i'm so angry, i was desperate to get it out, i'm so glad they took me asap.

she said, it would be interesting to hear if my health improved now that it was out .. ugh

really, it wasn't hard for me to find hundreds of women complaining about the same symptoms right online. and it gets progressively worse the longer it's in, duh. :undecided: i'm horrified. i'll keep you posted as to any improvements in my health. i'm in the middle of my cycle and i lost 2 lbs overnight. weird.

:heart:

It will improve.
In the interim, please, please, please report your AEs to the maker of IUD. If you dont know how to do this, just tell me what pharma company makes it and I will get you all the contact information/links to submit.

I know I work for a pharma company (hopefully not for much longer) :blush: but I am so positively absolutely against messing with women's bodies horomonally or otherwise. Clinical Studies are just inconclusive about side effects and long term effects are unknown.

< / end soap box>

#35 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

i do not know how to do that .. AEs? i would like to report all of this so women with a paragard receive better care and much more monitoring

#36 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,823 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:17 PM

AE = adverse effects

#37 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

AE = adverse effects

Yes, Adverse Events.
However, given the intensity of your IBS, I would argue its an SAE or serious adverse event (Serious because of the "persistent or significant disability/incapacity")
Sorry stuck in pharma world over here. :rolleyes:

#38 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

ok .. i will do that. i bet they know all about this though, too many other women are suffering (and being told it's all in their heads .. or it's all due to aging)

#39 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:43 AM

glad you are feeling better now that it's been removed-- but can i throw a word of caution in there re: the nuva ring? several of my friends have used it for less than 2 months because the hormones were making them CRAZY! i witnessed drastic mood swings in ordinarily stable people... i hate hate hate condoms but i'm glad they're working for some of you. i am very happy w/ my regular bc prescription, altho i know the regular dose of estrogen has adverse reactions for some women-- i have heard that the low estrogen versions can be much more tolerable if you are sensitive to the hormones. best of luck everybody & your vajayjays :)

#40 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:10 AM

how are you feeling LF? :heart:

#41 bsktcase

bsktcase
  • VibeTribe
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

vajayjays :)

:funny1:Makes me laugh everytime I hear it.

#42 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:35 PM

all of my ailments have diminished dramatically, esp my fatigue, which i really didn't realize was as bad as it was.

my hair looks much healthier, and my skin is better. my bloating is almost gone completely. and my IBS is amazingly easier to deal with. i'll add to this already long list later

xoxo .. thank you!!

#43 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

no thank you allison. :heart: i can't wait to have my insurance squared away and be able to get mine out!! :heart:

#44 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

okay i didn't read everyone's response, but here's my issue. I have terrible horriffic cramps if i'm not on bc. I don't like the idea of putting hormones into my body. I stopped taking bc for 2 months, by the second period I almost vomitted from pain and had to lay in bed with heating pads and perocet...and it took like 3 hours to be able to move again. It's not an opition...i ahve a job and a life.

I was thinking about an IUD since i'm pretty sure i don't wanna have kids.

Any help ladies?

#45 bsktcase

bsktcase
  • VibeTribe
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:35 PM

okay i didn't read everyone's response, but here's my issue. I have terrible horriffic cramps if i'm not on bc. I don't like the idea of putting hormones into my body. I stopped taking bc for 2 months, by the second period I almost vomitted from pain and had to lay in bed with heating pads and perocet...and it took like 3 hours to be able to move again. It's not an opition...i ahve a job and a life.

I was thinking about an IUD since i'm pretty sure i don't wanna have kids.

Any help ladies?

That sounds HORRIBLE, I'm sorry.

I'm not sure a doctor will agree to insert an IUD unless you've had a child. That was the case with me. I was looking into the copper IUD but my doc said no.

#46 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

what has your doctor said about the intense pain during your periods? have you been tested for endometriosis? i think it's important to look into trying to find the problem while also trying to treat to symptoms. the iud typically increases cramping in most women.

#47 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

Life is amazing now that it's out for me too. THE HAIR ALONE??? Like wow! The discharge was what really did it for me. It was constant.

I"m loving my body being what it needs to be. I'm 36 now, i've been either pregnant, or on BC ever since I was 16. THIS, is nice. It's my time to be free. I hate condoms too, but i'm fricked up enough emotionally, I don't need anything extra anymore. Yay! Allison, I am sooo happy for you on you feeling better. :)

#48 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

All this talk of condoms...just be careful ladies, cause condoms are only 85% effective with typical use, which means that 15%(!!) of couples that use condoms as their only method of BC get pregnant every year! Even with perfect use, which means putting it on properly every time, never having insertion without a condom on, etc, it's still only 97% effective, meaning 3% of couples get pregnant every year. Hormonal birth control is closer to 99% effective.

OTOH, hormonal methods have their problems too. I had constant panic attacks when I was on the nuvaring, like regularly twice a week, and they lasted for 2 years before I thought to myself...hmmm, I think these panic attacks started right after I started using it. (I remembered because I remember my first panic attack was when I found out my brother had diabetes, which was also the same day I broke up with this dude, and I went on BC about a week or two before we broke up). I went off it and haven't had a a panic attack since (for like 3 years now). So I definitely know your frustration LF- I went to therapy for having those panic attacks for 2 years, thought I seriously had mental problems, was considering medication, and then I just found out it was my birth control! WTF!

I'm on a low dose birth control pill now, which doesn't have any side affects I've seen (other then that I gained like 10 pounds when I first went on it)....it's so hard to remember to take it at the same time each day though, even with my cell phone alarm.

#49 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

The amount of sex I have and my knowledge of my body, condoms are pretty damn effective. :)

#50 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,156 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

so now that i know about the side effects of the iud, i'm interested in an alternative BC .. even considering having my tubes tied. thoughts?

I would recommend exploring the energic and esoteric aspects, before having your tubes tied. The same goes for vasectomies.