Conscious, or conscience? Both?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,668 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

Conscious-Aware of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.
Fully aware of or sensitive to something (often followed by of ): conscious of one's own faults; He wasn't conscious of the gossip about his past.
Having the mental faculties fully active. He was conscious during the operation

Conscience -The inner sense of what is right or wrong in one's conduct or motives, impelling one toward right action: to follow the dictates of conscience.
The complex of ethical and moral principles that controls or inhibits the actions or thoughts of an individual.
An inhibiting sense of what is prudent: I'd eat another piece of pie but my conscience would bother me.

While there is a clear separation of the two terms, it seems as though to me they are far more like one another than separate. Sure, if someone is unconscious, medically speaking, they aren't aware of their surroundings. Nor are they excersising being conscience. But that is why i put this is philosophical discussion, breh.

What do you think? Are you conscious more than conscience? Are you conscience, but not very conscious?

Am I losing my last bit of mind? :one:

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,029 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:50 PM

One seems to be more concerned with awareness, whereas the other is more concerned with the internal moral compass.

#3 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,668 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

Of course! But, how is a moral compass separate from a conscious mind? What dictates someone's moral compass? Can I really have my mental faculties fully active, and not be conscience?

I think this question answers itself with the line about my fleeting mental capacity at the moment. :one:

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,029 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:28 PM

Sociopaths do.

#5 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,668 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

How do they do it, ms. TEO?? :huh:

#6 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,029 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

Disconnect/disregard the internal moral compass. Kinda like a honey badger.

#7 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,668 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

Posted Image