• 19,454 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Joe Esposito - You're the Best Around

#3 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,390 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:57 AM

I kind of lump Big Head Todd in with the Samples, Spin Doctors and Blues Traveler.......all "radio friendly" somewhat Jam bands with a few years of strong popularity while I was in High School and College.  I guess essentially the H.O.R.D.E. tour.   

When you think about it, the radio / mainstream success of those bands introduced a lot of people to the likes of the "veteran bands" like the Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers and new up and coming first tier jambands :funny1: Phish and Widespread.  That really diversified the crowd of young people at shows (read: White Hat Frat Boys, early gen hipsters, grunge fans); it was no longer just old burnt out hippy freaks at shows.  :peace:

All those bands may have never written much beyond their initial hits that resulted in brief commercial success, but they're all historically pretty important in our scene.  With all of them, I wonder why their creativity dried up so quickly.    

#4 Goose

Goose
  • VibeTribe
  • 605 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

I was thinking that about bands like Blues Traveler earlier today. They made it to Letterman and even opened for the Stones and now you can see them at small places. Similar with Spin Doctors.
Smithereens - another Jersey band that had some mega hits, and it coincided with early MTV, that seem like they'd rather do good shows of their old stuff to somewhat local fans rather than try to stay current, write new stuff, and tour.
Edward Sharpe reached moderate success with Ima Robot, quit, got sober, and reinvented himself. He might have fit this category twice.
"Huffamoose" - a Philly jazzy Jammy band that had a big hit nationally with a song called "Wait". It was a top 40 hit, played it on Letterman, toured and everything. You can see them sometimes jamming around Philly as the Fractals.
I think sometimes bands don't want to live up to a hit, they just want to play to people that appreciate it, not to a TV camera or hockey rink.

#5 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,880 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Big  Head Todd and The Monsters- Bittersweet

Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeroes- Home

If he would have stopped boring me with needing to change guitars every song I might have been more engaged in what he played. Just seemed pompous to me. 

#6 INarvi

INarvi
  • VibeTribe
  • 108 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

The Wonders - That Thing You Do

#7 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,674 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:05 PM