$29,000 helicopter ride?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 manzanita stark

manzanita stark
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

Haven't been around much for a good while, things are a wee bit different around here than the past decade or so.

On April 5, while cleaning the remaining belongings from the house she'd been renting, Sherry (phantomrelic) fell down a flight of interior stairs and fractured her L4 vertebrae (fortunately external, not near the cord), broke three ribs and chipped her left hip.

The emergency airlift alone was over $29,000. (10 minute ride)

Needless to say we will not be going very far for quite a while. Landlord is being entirely uncooperative and we have an appointment with a law firm.

Everyone have a safe and wonderful fest season and we hope to be able to make an appearance somewhere much later this summer.

#2 Roasted and Toasted

Roasted and Toasted
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,311 posts
  • LocationUnder a tent

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

Earl <3

#3 territoryranger

territoryranger
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Oh shit ! Thank goodness there's no paralysis....Get Well........I'll make a note never to get in one of those copters.................

#4 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,654 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

damn, sorry to hear :undecided:

i hope she gets well soon!

when i was taken to a hospital in an ambulance a couple years ago, i went less than 7 miles and they charged me 3 grand :eek:

i talked to their financial department and explained that in my current financial condition i was in no shape to pay and they asked me to write a letter to be presented at their monthly "extenuating circumstances" meeting along with proof of income level

they met and decided that they would forgive me my debt and only charged me for 80 bux to cover the oxygen they gave me on the ride

you may want to see if they have any programs you could apply for that may reduce the amount owed...

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,880 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

:heart:

#6 cdrhead

cdrhead
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Fast healing :heart:

I would try to get that amount reduced. You can talk to your insurance provider but you may have better luck going right to the source. My daughter got charged $900 for a 5 minute ride in an ambulance because she had a staple in her finger while at college. The city of Boston dropped the whole bill after a few letters and calls. My insurance was not going to pay any of it because it was not life threatening....

#7 mamapajama

mamapajama
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Hi VIP tent couch buddy.  Sorry for all this and I hope that you can find a way to reduce the bill.

#8 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

swift healing :heart:

see you right here :boardie:

#9 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,642 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Jesus Earl...:heart:

#10 manzanita stark

manzanita stark
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:06 AM

There is a lot going on. We see a lawyer the first time May 10.

House was a private residence being switched over to a rental and had not been inspected, no certificate of occupancy has been issued.

Construction was going on inside being done by unlicensed people. No building permit.

The stair bannister had been removed after she was there in order to install a half bath downstairs.

IMAG0014_zpsd8201192.jpg

You can see where the old post is half exposed where the new wall was built. No temporary railing was installed.

#11 manzanita stark

manzanita stark
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

As time has gone by it appears everything was being done under the radar of code enforcement and the city to keep it cheap. Renting it out still under construction was a gamble and the owner didn't win. Then of course the effort to not turn anything in to his liability coverage as all else will be exposed.

Then be ignorant enough to give her a hard time about her security deposit and refuse to refund it because all of her stuff wasn't out in time. Bad idea! lol

When she tried to inform him her insurance will pay the bills but are going to sue his insurance as this was clear personal injury liability in a rental he got arrogant and insulted her three times. Real bad idea!

Now it looks as if there will also be personal legal action.

#12 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

As time has gone by it appears everything was being done under the radar of code enforcement and the city to keep it cheap. Renting it out still under construction was a gamble and the owner didn't win. Then of course the effort to not turn anything in to his liability coverage as all else will be exposed.

Then be ignorant enough to give her a hard time about her security deposit and refuse to refund it because all of her stuff wasn't out in time. Bad idea! lol

When she tried to inform him her insurance will pay the bills but are going to sue his insurance as this was clear personal injury liability in a rental he got arrogant and insulted her three times. Real bad idea!

Now it looks as if there will also be personal legal action.

Settle in for a long battle....

yerribl;e news, swift healing.

#13 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,915 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:39 AM

:heart:

#14 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe