RIP Jeff Hanneman (Slayer)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,949 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

Our Brother Jeff Hanneman, May He Rest In Peace (1964 - 2013

In September,1990 right before I was about to go out to boarding school, my brother and I found a small mention in The Poughkeepsie Journal that Slayer would play The Chance.  We were fortunate to get tickets even though the show was almost unannounced.

No openers, No Bullshit, just Slayer.  Before or since I've never seen a crowd so fired up.  The hair on my arms stood up.

They took the stage and the energy and sensory experience (I was completely sober) just blew my mind.  Slayer played so well, so long.  23 years later still the best concert I've ever seen.

RIP Jeff.

#2 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,978 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:22 AM

Wow. Rip.

#3 Kuzsin

Kuzsin
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:48 AM

........there will be extra headbanging tonight....

#4 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,293 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:16 AM

RIP Jeff. :sad:

#5 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,874 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:23 AM

The little men in my family are very saddened this evening. :sad:

I was talking to Jerry on the phone tonight about it and he said, "See, that's why you shouldn't drink so much." and I thought he meant me so I was like, "What do you mean?" He replied, "Liver- it messed up his liver." "Ooooooh. Right." 

#6 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

According to one report,  http://stereogum.com...-hanneman/obit/  he had also been recovering from a medically-induced coma from a spider bite last year.  Perhaps that also contributed to his liver failure?  Chances are it was already compromised, but...

Some may recall that at least 2 boardies ended up in the hospital and one on IVs for spider bites about 5 or 6 years back. I know I had one ~ 5 years ago that gave me blood poisoning and required a major dose of antibiotics and steroids :undecided:

#7 Skrockypoint

Skrockypoint
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

R.I.P. Jeff

#8 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

........there will be extra headbanging tonight....

yeah there will  (sorry neighbors) 

:lol:

#9 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,452 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

I was at this show. people were setting seat cushions on fire and throwing them in the air. the police lined up the stage and the show ended early. All on video:

#10 gMONEY

gMONEY
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

RIP jeff :(