Photo

Bought a Coleman Black Cat heater for Mnt Jam......thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

So The truck is tricked out for a hard shelter to sleep in if it pour buckets but i have been worrying about the extreme cold that can hit the mountains in early June.

I already know to use a ground cover under the tent and dont leave any peeking out for rain.

New tarp purchased.

Good, warm sleeping bag also ready to go.

Got a thin beany type hat and will go to bed in long johns and socks if it gets real cold.

I did a little research though and decided to buy a Coleman Black Cat propane heater.

I will also bring one of my home co2 monitiors just incase but dont plan on running this all night just 30min before going to bed and 30 min in the am to warm up the tent.

I also plan on running the unit on a hard top cooler inside the tent and using 2 aluminum disposable lasagna pans one inside the other as a base to absorb and deflect/diffuse any low heat warming up the base.

Anyone ever use one?

I also have a small battery operated fan to circulate the heat and plan on keeping a low door flap cracked and high window part open when using it.

coleman-blackcat-instastart-tent-heater-

What sets the Coleman BlackCat InstaStart tent heater apart from the standard BlackCat tent heater is the added “InstaStart” feature that gives you the convenience of push-button ignition, opposed to needing a match or lighter to start the propane heater.

What sets the BlackCat series apart from the less expensive Coleman SportCat models is simply twice the heating power – which means they’ll heat larger spaces (up to about 80 square feet).

The Coleman BlackCat InstaStart tent heater is capable of providing a maximum of 3,000 BTU of power on its “Hi” setting, or 1,500 BTU on its “Low” setting. At “Hi” you can expect to get about 7 hours of run time off of one standard 16.4-oz disposable propane cylinder. At “Low” you can basically double that for around 14 hours of total run-time.

Having the option of multiple power settings is another feature the BlackCat series has over the SportCat series. You will pay a few extra dollars for the BlackCat, but this feature alone makes it something worth seriously considering if deciding between the two.

Coleman PerfecTemp Catalytic Technology – Flameless Heat

All the current Coleman tent heater models are designed with what Coleman calls their “PerfecTemp Catalytic Technology. By using a platinum catalyst that the propane and oxygen react with, the burning takes place within the pad at a much lower temperature than with a normal open flame. It gets a little technical, but basically, the result is a highly efficient heat source without the dangers of an exposed, open flame.

It’s the fact that there’s no real “open-flame” that makes the Coleman BlackCat InstaStart such an excellent choice for enclosed spaces like camping tents, fishing shelters, hunting blinds, and camper shells. It’s also popular solution for outdoor sporting events and even has enough power to warm small workshops and work spaces which means it’ll likely find itself being used in more places than just the camp site.

Portable & Powerful

Built first with “portability” in-mind, the Coleman BlackCat InstaStart tent heater comes with collapsible legs that fold into the collar for compact storage. It also features an integrated, easy-grip carrying handle that makes it comfortable to carry. Despite its compact size though, the BlackCat is still capable of producing an impressive 3,000 BTU heat output which is enough power to keep an 80 square foot enclosure toasty warm.

Features & Specifications

• Uses standard 16.4-oz. disposable propane cylinders.
  • Selectable 1,500 – 3,000 BTU (Enough power for up to 80 sq. ft.)
  • 14 hour runtime per propane cylinder on Low (7 hrs on Hi)
  • Safe, efficient flameless heating (PerfecTemp Catalytic )
  • Legs fold into collar for compact storeage
  • The Easy-Grip handle provides comfortable portability
  • Includes a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty

Now that i am thouroghly prepared it will be 75 and sunny all weekend!!! :jam: :dance:

#2 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,001 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

thats bananas

#3 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,920 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

i have a coleman heater similar to that - works great and i will have mine at mt jam too most likely

#4 VSCT

VSCT
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

I think a couple people have had these at wormtown ober the years, and I didn't see any problem. Come to think of it the only problem I ever saw with our heaters is Royal trying to turn my kerosene one off. I think you should be fine as long as it is away from any melting/flammable material.

#5 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

I have the sportcat.  I love it, but tall and less stable than this looks. I want to make it a built-in for the bus.

It worked great for those cold sprint tour shows...3 or 4 could stand around warming hands like a small fire.

I'd be worried about it tipping in a tent, but the bus floor is solid ground. I'm upgrading to this if mine dies.

#6 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

love my blackcat

#7 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

Never used one but have been ice fishing many times in a tent with the floor cut out. Would bring a Coleman stove to cook on as well as warm up with and it wouldn't take long to warm up to a bearable temp inside when it was pretty cold outside.

#8 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

the blackcat burns by catalytic action and gives off carbon dioxide and water vapor.  No carbon monoxide is given off.  Just be sure you have a fresh air supply.

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,017 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:29 AM

love my blackcat

This.  I have found I only need to run it long enough to take the chill out of the tent or it gets too dang hot in there.

#10 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,891 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

This. Also I'm pretty sure a tent has more than enough infiltration.

the blackcat burns by catalytic action and gives off carbon dioxide and water vapor.  No carbon monoxide is given off.  Just be sure you have a fresh air supply.

#11 -Q-

-Q-
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

Doesn't all that fur keep you warm?

#12 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm glad I opened this thread.  We are leaving tonight for our first festival.  You think it get's cold in June?  Ha, yea.  And we'll have the baby.  We currently have a Mr. Heater and a pop up.  Last year, I ended up having to leave and go to the local hotel because it was just too cold.  This year maybe I'll try one of these "Black Cats"  Mr. Heater sucks.  lol

#13 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Has anyone else ever used the Mr. Heater?  In comparison?

#14 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,891 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

BRRRRR. Couldn't even imagine doing a fest with these temps. Would have to drink whiskey all weekend to keep warm.

What fest are you going to Wende?

#15 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yes - its time to begin to think about camping supplies....What about a easy - portable shower.....any suggestions on those too...?

#16 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

no first hand experience but this looks pretty good

http://www.amazon.co...mp shower helio

51rx628AA3L._SL1000_.jpg

#17 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yes - that looks pretty nice...

#18 DF

DF
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

no first hand experience but this looks pretty good

http://www.amazon.co...mp shower helio

51rx628AA3L._SL1000_.jpg

That's cool..but for a cheaper route I am planning on getting a battery powered shower and a bucket (with lid)

26016.jpg +   b0991248-1832-4628-ad92-3cc9ec8b974a_300

#19 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

Let us know if the Black Cat works better than the real Cat.

#20 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

That's cool..but for a cheaper route I am planning on getting a battery powered shower and a bucket (with lid)

26016.jpg +   b0991248-1832-4628-ad92-3cc9ec8b974a_300

Where do you get that little green pump?

#21 DF

DF
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Where do you get that little green pump?

http://www.campmor.c...duct___26016#

#22 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 586 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

love my blackcat

same here.  excellent choice.

#23 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

I have one, works great for my tent in moderate cold... but after WT I bought one of these just in case:

51gorN9f1eL._SY300_.jpg

#24 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Some Kind Of Jam.  And yea, it's FREEZING at night.  It sucks.  But my husband is the LD and I have a free booth.

This might just be the last year I go in April...with the baby that is.  It's just sooo cold.

I need a new heater.  As I said, the one I have sucks. Or, maybe it's just too cold?!

#25 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

Mr heater had sucky reviews online.

Once you go black you never go back baby! :jam:

#26 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

So, it wasn't too bad this year.  Def was uncomfortable the first night but last night was OK.  And Mr. Heater is ONLY good if you're standing right in front of it. :lol:  Ugh!  I'm super glad I came across this thread.  Thanks Guys!

#27 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

:jam: the power of boardies

#28 VSCT

VSCT
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

6209331429_ef03d4a01b_z.jpg