2 new toys

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

i was getting frustrated with the meat slicer i found in my uncle's basement, so i went for a newer model, worked great, broke down easy for cleaning.

41V846S071L._AA160_.jpg

at one point i needed a spice grinder, so i sacrificed my coffee mill.

now that i might be getting some green coffee to roast, i figured i'd need a second mill, but got a burr grinder instead. prolly have to wait for the weekend to use it.

41aZqdeGnxL._AA160_.jpg

#2 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,415 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

I've been on the lookout for a while now for a slicer.  Having never really used one though, I'm not sure of what to really look for and there's so much stuff out there basically saying don't go cheap.  I've been hesitant as I don't want to spend big money on something I would use probably a few hours a year.

So, you're happy with it?  Any dislikes?

#3 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,562 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

The coffee grinder in the picture looks very much like the one I have been enjoying for the last year or so.

#4 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

So, you're happy with it?  Any dislikes?

#5 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

my old one was proll ymade 1960's, all metal but a real PITA to clean.

The adjustment thing never really stayed where you put it so slices changed thickness all on thier own.

So far i used the new one once,  much nicer slices.

there was also some rust on the bars the slicing part slid along, so that was no fun either.

while the new one is mostly plastic, no issues yet. It totally breaks down for cleaning and the blade seems to be spinning a lot faster too. I've already noticed the sell a special sharpening set up, and non serrated blades on line, so down the road i'll be looking at those.

now that i can get consistant thin slices i'm sure i will use it more.

as far as costs go, i'b bet this was a little on the cheaper side @ $125, but then again i used the free one for a couple of years now and wanted to up grade a little. So far, slab bacon has been the only thing i've been slicing regularly.

slicers was the only one in stock after checking 5 stores, might have gotten a better deal on line, but i wanted it yesterday

i had 2 slabs of bacon that needed to be taken care of.

Slicer - Chef's Choice 610

http://www.amazon.co...iews/B0002AKCOC

Grinder - Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill

http://www.buzzillio...rr-mill-reviews

#6 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Burr grinders are the only way to actually choose the size of your grind... you'll be spoiled forever.

Since we've dialed back on vending/mobil coffee, we're actually using our commercial machine that we have set up in our pantry. 

Grindmaster%20890.jpg

#7 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

i need a slicer.  

i have that grinder... it will always leave some super fine "dust" in the one upper corner.  If you lift the lid slowly and have a spoon handy, you can lift that stuff right out of there, Provided you are looking for a coarse grind (french press).  Aside from that I have had 0 issues with that grinder.