• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,178 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

In blow to gun control backers, background check compromise falls 6 votes short

Despite an impassioned push by President Barack Obama and an emotional lobbying effort by the families of mass shooting victims, proponents of a compromise measure to expand gun background checks on Wednesday fell six votes short of passage in the Senate. 

The vote on the amendment was 54 to 46. Sixty votes were needed for the amendment to be adopted. 

The deal was the result of a deal struck between Republican Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania and Democrat Joe Manchin of West Virginia. 

As the bill was defeated, a voice in the Senate gallery could be heard yelling "Shame on you!" 

The Manchin-Toomey amendment would have extended existing background check rules to gun sales made online and at gun shows. It was vehemently opposed by the National Rifle Association, who said it infringed on the rights of gun owners.  

More

http://firstread.nbc...otes-short?lite

#2 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

The Manchin-Toomey amendment would have extended existing background check rules to gun sales made online and at gun shows.

I'm tired of this inaccurate and misleading statement. Background checks at gun shows and online are already the law when the seller is a gun dealer, and have been for many years. This bill was going to require background checks for transactions between individuals, at gun shows, online, and everywhere else. We can have a discussion as to whether or not that change is needed, but the "gun show loophole" is a myth.

#3 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,029 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Yeah-He-mad_U18chan.jpg

#4 Roasted and Toasted

Roasted and Toasted
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationUnder a tent

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

I'm tired of this inaccurate and misleading statement. Background checks at gun shows and online are already the law when the seller is a gun dealer, and have been for many years. This bill was going to require background checks for transactions between individuals, at gun shows, online, and everywhere else. We can have a discussion as to whether or not that change is needed, but the "gun show loophole" is a myth.

Refreshing (but rare) to hear someone speak on this topic with some actual knowledge of the facts.

New bill would have all private sales and other transfers, including gifts to family, subject to background checks.

I do not feel it will never be the business of the government that I hand down firearms to my responsible adult children, as they were to me.