• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#101 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,900 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

Where are the Boondock Saints when we need them...oh yeah...zombie apocalypse...:lol:

#102 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

644587_592381654105170_927744917_n.jpg

#103 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,900 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Thanks Peg, exactly what I was referring to.

#104 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,887 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

McManus brothers better show up.

#105 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Light of the world, shine on me

Love is the answer

Shine on us all, set us free

Love is the answer

Who knows why someday we all must die

We're all homeless boys and girls

And we are never heard

Tell me, are we alive or just a dying planet?

What are the chances? Ask the man in your heart for the answers
And when you feel afraid (Love one another)

When you've lost your way (Love one another)
When you're all alone (Love one another)

When you're far from home (Love one another)
When you're down and out (Love one another)

All your hope's run out (Love one another)
When you need a friend (Love one another)

When you're near the end, love

We got to love,

we got to love one another
Light of the world, you got to shine

Love will be a means, yeah, yeah, yeah

Shine on us all Know that love can save the day

#106 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,900 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:06 AM

MarathonBombBeforeAndAfter462.jpg

So yeah...to the left of Forum is Atlantic Fish...one of my favorite restos in Boston. Maybe some remember me posting about it last summer when I was in town...I leaned right on that mailbox waiting for a cab...the bomb seems to have gone off right next to it. Chills.... :undecided:

#107 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,577 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:47 AM

Anger is certainly an understandable reaction to have towards this, sadness at the loss that has occurred as well.  But I refuse to give into fear or hatred, no matter who did this or why.  I choose to see the positives that exist in this, the goodness in people who helped out the victims and resilience of the city and the country in the face of some pretty despicable actions.  I'm glad though that everyone we know is safe and my heart goes out to those injured and those who died and their families   <3

i love your heart, J

#108 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,847 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

Messing With the Wrong City

By DENNIS LEHANE

WHEN I was 9 years old, at the height of the busing crisis in 1974, I drove with my parents and brother through South Boston on our way to Dorchester, where we lived. On West Broadway we got stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic and crawled for a mile through one of the more frightening mass gatherings I’ve ever witnessed. Effigies of Judge Arthur Garrity and Senator Edward Kennedy and Mayor Kevin White were hung from street lamps and set afire. The flames were reflected in the windows of my father’s Chevy, and I looked through them at the faces of a mob so incensed it was medieval. Reason was not popular on West Broadway that night. Nor was compassion or a desire to debate our differences with nuance or a respect for complexity. In the place of civil discourse, rage ruled.

I bring this up now, in the wake of a terrorist attack on the city where I was born and from which I draw my creative fuel, for two reasons. 1) Because that night was my ur-experience, if you will, with rage. I’d seen anger, of course, and I’d seen violence, too, but rage — beyond reason, beyond intellect, beyond conciliation — was a different beast. 2) When I speak of my love for this city, it will be understood that the love does not come filtered through a soft-focus lens. I’m fully aware of the sins that litter the Hub’s rearview.

But I do love this city. I love its atrocious accent, its inferiority complex in terms of New York, its nut-job drivers, the insane logic of its street system. I get a perverse pleasure every time I take the T in the winter and the air-conditioning is on in the subway car, or when I take it in the summer and the heat is blasting. Bostonians don’t love easy things, they love hard things — blizzards, the bleachers in Fenway Park, a good brawl over a contested parking space. Two different friends texted me the identical message yesterday: They messed with the wrong city. This wasn’t a macho sentiment. It wasn’t “Bring it on” or a similarly insipid bit of posturing. The point wasn’t how we were going to mass in the coffee shops of the South End to figure out how to retaliate. Law enforcement will take care of that, thank you. No, what a Bostonian means when he or she says “They messed with the wrong city” is “You don’t think this changes anything, do you?”

Trust me, we won’t be giving up any civil liberties to keep ourselves safe because of this. We won’t cancel next year’s marathon. We won’t drive to New Hampshire and stockpile weapons. When the authorities find the weak and terminally maladjusted culprit or culprits, we’ll roll our eyes at whatever backward ideology they embrace and move on with our lives.

A half-hour after the attacks, I crossed the marathon route two miles west of the explosions to drop my tax return off at the post office. By this time I knew what had happened; the whole city did. Beacon Street was splattered with enough crushed Gatorade cups to give it the appearance of a poppy field. A lot of hugging was going on. People stared at their phones even though cell service was down. I passed a homeless woman on a bench. She asked, “Them demons been caught yet?” I said I didn’t know. She said, “They will, they will.” A few blocks later, I came upon a young woman in runner’s clothing sitting on a lawn, weeping. I asked her if she was all right. She nodded. I asked if I could get her anything or do anything for her, and she shook her head.

I went home and tried to explain to my 4-year-old daughter that the reason Mommy and Daddy were upset was because bad people had done some bad things. I’m not used to feeling so limited when it comes to expressing myself, but trying to explain an act of mass murder to a 4-year-old rendered me as close to speechless as I can remember being. My daughter asked if the bad men were like the bad woman who hit her on the head with a suitcase last time we were on a plane and then didn’t apologize. I assured her the bad men were worse, and my daughter asked if they would hit her on the head when she was on the street. I promised her they wouldn’t, but really, what do I know? The bad men — strangers — wait to hit us on the head. Or remove our limbs. Or shake our conviction that the world should be a place where people live free of fear.

When the civilian bystanders to the attack ran toward the first blast to give aid to the victims, without a second thought for their own safety, the primary desire of the terrorists — to paralyze a populace with fear — was already thwarted.

The little man or men who did this will, I have faith, be arrested, jailed and forgotten. Whatever hate movement they belong to will ultimately go the way of the anarchist assassination movements of the early 20th century or theSymbionese Liberation Army of the 1970s. Those killed and maimed, starting with 8-year-old Martin Richard of my neighborhood, Dorchester, and his injured sister and mother, will be remembered. The community will eulogize the dead and provide care and solace for the injured. And, no, we’ll never forget. But what we’ll cling tightest to is what the city was built on — resilience, respect and an adoration for civility and intellect.

Boston took a punch on Monday — two of them, actually — that left it staggering for a bit. Flesh proved vulnerable, as flesh is wont to do, but the spirit merely trembled before recasting itself into something stronger than any bomb or rage.

#109 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,443 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

546058_10151372556763869_341457446_n.jpg

#110 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 10,182 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

jack and tim, how ironic...i was just coming here to share this...

i will admit, it made me cry

#111 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,847 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

This scared the shit out of my wife who is on a cruise. She heard about it on the ship and freaked out because before she left I had told her I was planning on going over there. Just glad I was here when she called or she probably would have lost it

#112 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,446 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

This scared the shit out of my wife who is on a cruise. She heard about it on the ship and freaked out because before she left I had told her I was planning on going over there. Just glad I was here when she called or she probably would have lost it

Oh man...I would have freaked the hell out.  Good thing you were there.  :heart:

#113 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,213 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Yikes!  

Still no cell phone?

#114 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,900 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

Jack was that the all male cruise you had to turn down due to work?

#115 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,847 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Jack was that the all male cruise you had to turn down due to work?

This is why nobody likes you :joker:

Actually they wouldn't let me on that cruise, I'm going to assume it's because I was just too damn manly and there just wouldn't be enough of me to go around

#116 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,900 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

:lol: we'll go with that :lol:

#117 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,900 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

This picture and watching these 2 on the videos of the explosion are a bit bothersome to me...they run away...they make no attempt to help that man that literally gets blown right off his feet right in front of them. Most everyone else around them runs towards the explosion site.
:dunno:

Boston-Marathon-Explo_Hedg-2.jpg

It's called fight or flight. Instinct told them to run. You can't blame them.

#118 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,900 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

That was seconds after the blast. Instinct said "run" not "help him." Instinct says save your own ass.

The military guys and cops you saw rush in have training that becomes instinct and says "help those motherfuckers."

#119 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,900 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Watch the video, it tells a different story.

Volunteers at these races are mostly people there to give directions and smiles. They're not trained in emergency management or triage.

The man is fine, people next to him helped.

#120 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

well, I'll think of them as running for help, not running away

but I really wish they'd of helped that man.  :(

Maybe they are running for help, maybe their ear drums were blown to bits and their vision is blurred from the blast concussion.  who knows.  judgement of them is silly.  nobody has any idea what is going on in their minds or body except them.

#121 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,443 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

They'd just had a bomb go off next to them...smoke around them...perhaps were rendered deaf...may not even have seen him go down.

It astonishes me that with all of the heroism that happened on Monday, your posts in this thread have been about

a: you

and

b: a possible situation where someone didn't act heroically.

Well, maybe it doesn't astonish me all that much...

#122 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_3101865.html

Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect Identified, Law Enforcement Source Tells CNN

#123 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,213 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

if that astonishes you.... oh well

True dat!   :rotf:

Really TtB....     :rolleyes:

#124 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,446 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Actually they wouldn't let me on that cruise, I'm going to assume it's because I was just too damn manly and there just wouldn't be enough of me to go around

:censor:

#125 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,443 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

CNN is reporting that an arrest has been made. Hope this is true...

#126 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,443 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

True dat!   :rotf:

Really TtB....     :rolleyes:

:lol:

#127 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

CNN is reporting that an arrest has been made. Hope this is true...

I put up an article saying they identified a suspect. It looks like they moved fast. We'll now wait to see if the evidence is there to pin the tail. Let's see if the suspect is a member of the tea party or right wing or whatever other conservative group that is hated today.

#128 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,865 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

I knew that wouldn't take long. With all the camera's everywhere anymore its almost impossible to get away with something like this.

#129 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,629 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

CNN says arrest.

NBC says no arrest.

#130 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,005 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

Let the beating begin.

#131 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

http://www.cnn.com/

Unless Im missing something?

#132 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,914 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

nypost says there's an arrest.

then again they are still reporting there were 50 fatalities...

#133 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,900 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

Multiple news sources reporting an arrest.

#134 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

FBI new conference at 5:00.

#135 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,668 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

I knew that wouldn't take long. With all the camera's everywhere anymore its almost impossible to get away with something like this.

This.

#136 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,446 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Article on the NY Daily News site says footage from acamera in Lord & Taylor shows the suspect's face clearly.  He was seen with the packages & then dropping them off. 

#137 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,900 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Maybe he had to return a brassiere? :dunno:

#138 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,005 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

Once they identified by video who dropped the bomb I am sure they pulled all surrounding video and followed him right to his car and that would have also been videos going into a lot or garage.

Now to find out who, and why.

#139 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,005 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

Multiple news sources reporting an arrest.

CNN reported at 2:35...

There is conflicting information as to whether someone has been arrested in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings. A federal law enforcement source told CNN's Fran Townsend that someone was arrested. But later, two senior administration officials and another federal official told Townsend that there had been a misunderstanding among officials and that no one has been arrested.

#140 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,443 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

No arrest yet.

Well played, CNN. :rolleyes:

#141 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,900 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Good job Chicken Noodle Network!

#142 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

CNN reported at 2:35...

There is conflicting information as to whether someone has been arrested in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings. A federal law enforcement source told CNN's Fran Townsend that someone was arrested. But later, two senior administration officials and another federal official told Townsend that there had been a misunderstanding among officials and that no one has been arrested.

We need more acronyms to over watch the failures of communication in the current acroonyms.

#143 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

'Merica news sucks!

#144 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

As of 2:35 p.m. EDT, here's what's being reported.

NBC: "Solid leads."

CBS: No arrest.

CNN: No arrest, no one in custody.

Globe: Suspect in custody.

AP: Suspect in custody.

Herald: Suspect arrested.

Fox News: Suspect arrested.

Earlier,

CNN's John King reported that the suspect was a "dark-skinned male."

CBS News now reports that the suspect is a "white male, wearing white baseball cap on backwards, gray hoodie and black jacket."

CNN: "This individual may be known or unknown."

#145 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

and they are all citing each other :lol:

#146 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

:lmao:

Merica.

#147 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,443 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

and they are all citing each other :lol:

Circlejerk News Network?

#148 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,629 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

Circlejerk News Network?

Winner winner vegan dinner!

#149 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,847 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

Helicopters all over the place here, they must be taking him to the courthouse.

Edited looks like they're evacuating the courthouse, might be something different

#150 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,443 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

Winner winner vegan dinner!