• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:42 PM

i really want to do this...but it never seems to happen.

#2 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:45 AM

If we go to Strangecreek, I'm most definitely bringing my yarn with me! :bliss:

#3 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

well you saw my place the other night! I would love to host something its just that besides you and I most of us aren't close enough to do something weeknights and weekends aren't usually good for knitting!

#4 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

Drunk knitting. :funny1: Usually doesn't work out to anybody's advantage. :lol:

#5 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

Drunk knitting. :funny1: Usually doesn't work out to anybody's advantage. :lol:

I dont knitt becuase I drop too many stitches when Im sober. I'd poke my eye out and end up with a scarf 1 cm wide. :lmao:

#6 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:04 AM

:lol:

#7 pinkprophet

pinkprophet
  • VibeTribe
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

is it hard to learn to knit? I would love to do it, but its hard to find time to take a shower much less a new hobby. If its pretty easy, I would like to give it a shot.

#8 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:19 PM

ok. I'm willing to set aside a night every week or every other week. What days work best for u miss carla?

#9 -anna

-anna
  • VibeTribe
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

man i almost wished i lived in jersey so i could get in a circle with you all! i'm stuck with stitch n bitches with crafty strangers in coffee shops instead.

pink prophet - knitting and crochet aren't hard to learn at all but they are pretty time consuming. though i like to think of it as relaxation time personally

#10 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:02 AM

aw, we wish you lived closer too :) thats my idea of a good night in. knitting and friends :D

#11 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:49 AM

There is a stitch n' bitch group that meets by my work, but I haven't made it over there yet. I'm a little intimidated. I'm scurd to go in there with my little hats and things while they are all making sweaters and big elaborate things. :blush:

#12 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

I wish there was a SnB near me, but I don't know that I would ever have time to go. :lol: georgi- you shouldn't be nervous about that- everyone starts with hats and little things! They might all be working on that stuff anyway! :)

#13 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

Who knows...maybe they would be jealous of my beer coozies. :funny1:

#14 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:02 PM

Who knows...maybe they would be jealous of my beer coozies. :funny1:

Exactly. :wink:[

#15 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

ok. I'm willing to set aside a night every week or every other week. What days work best for u miss carla?

ummmmm maybe a tuesday or wednesday night? thursday is usually busy and monday I am dead so either of those work for me! I think tuesday is the SnB at the knitting store around the corner if we feel like checking that out (not too bad - women are a but older but really good w advice and help!)

I am so bad I haven't knit anything in like months! I went all gung ho for a week then once I got into my move I just forgot all about it

also georgi ... don't worry about it at my old one in boston every one was different levels and no one cared about it - if anything it helped push me to move on to more difficult stuff cause I knew I had built in help

#16 -anna

-anna
  • VibeTribe
  • 346 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

also georgi ... don't worry about it at my old one in boston every one was different levels and no one cared about it - if anything it helped push me to move on to more difficult stuff cause I knew I had built in help

i agree totally there's not much judgement in the SnBs i've been to, and all the knitters gave each other lots of advice, they'd probably love your coozies! they look at me like i'm an alien sometimes but it's b/c i'm using a hook and i've grown accustomed to it now :funny1:
the only judgement was about yarn - there was a bit of distain for my use of acrylics but it's a pound of :heart:LOVE:heart: for crying out loud!

#17 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

i agree totally there's not much judgement in the SnBs i've been to, and all the knitters gave each other lots of advice, they'd probably love your coozies! they look at me like i'm an alien sometimes but it's b/c i'm using a hook and i've grown accustomed to it now :funny1:
the only judgement was about yarn - there was a bit of distain for my use of acrylics but it's a pound of :heart:LOVE:heart: for crying out loud!

yes I will agree with that.... also you might want to keep it to yourself if you shop at michaels, ac moore etc many knitters feel that part of your duty as a knitter is to support LYS (local yarn stores) which in theory are awesome but in reality are expensive and don't have much of a selection

#18 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

georgi - i find that the older women at the SnB and yarn stores LOVE helping younger knitters carry the torch along. They're always so willing to put their project aside for a while to show you how to do something new.

carla - either work for me, i just want to make sure I keep working out so lemme know which evening is better for you.

#19 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:42 AM

Any CT boardies down for doing this? I can't really make it to NYC/NJ area.

#20 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

Ok. I want to join Spiffy and Carla.
I should really learn to count my stitches. :funny1:

Thursdays are bad for me too.

Spiffy, where are you these days? Moms? I havent heard from you in ages. :sad:

And Georgi - EVERYONE is jealous of your beer coozies - ask Cartelli!!!

#21 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

Cartelli just makes fun of them. :lol:

And he doesn't like me, so whatever. :lol:

#22 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

Cartelli just makes fun of them. :lol:

And he doesn't like me, so whatever. :lol:

oh no. he's jealous.

And dont take it personally, Cartelli's an asshole :heart:

#23 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

Ok lets try for tuesdays as most work travel for me tends to be fly out wed/thurs so that should work with the least disruptions... I am down for starting next week since the holiday this week kinda makes tuesday a 'monday' night
Posted via Mobile Device Powered By Terrapin

#24 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:02 AM

Trust me...I don't give a shit. :lol:

He ain't gettin' one of my coozies! :ravn:

#25 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:05 AM

LOL Carla and Georgi - do you remember we totally sat down to make cozies at Vibes Thursday and everyone got distracted? I printed out all those monogram letters!! I want a nalgene cozy...I know you make those. I'll knit you a hat if you knit me one!!! :heartbounce:

Terra - Yeah, I moved back in w/ my mom. Its not nearly as horrible as I thought it'd be. Although she came downstairs just now (yes, I'm the troll in the basement) to tell me theres a cop parked up the street so I shouldn't go walk Toby cause there might be bad men outside. HAHAHAHAHA. I told her they were probably looking for speeders or drunk drivers. She says they've got their lights flashing, to which I reply with my previous statement and then added black people, cause this area leans more towards the racist side. Now there are 4 cop cars with their lights flashing outside our house and all my mom can think is "don't walk the dog" HAHAHAHAHAHA. Seriously? Ok, so its probably funnier in person but this is the highlight of my evening. Minus the photo organization...I found pictures from elementary school. They're all going in labeled boxes. Who knew that when I stopped rolling blunts I'd start to become so OCD organized? Its like a creeping fungus. Its starting to take over!!! (ps. i might have made a drink and watched Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist tonight. I'm a lightweight. Goodnight.)

and yes, tuesdays are good for me!

#26 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:14 AM

oh yeah, when I fall off the face of the earth - which I've been known to do...every winter - call me and make me come hang out! Otherwise I'll hibernate and forget I know how to dial a phone. The phone and I, like the credit card machine at Target, have a love/hate relationship.
seriously, that thing ate my card like 4x and the manager had to open it up to get it back out again.
lets knit!
end rant.

#27 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

ok so just incase anyone is confused by this (ie any one bsides spiffy and I would like to join! yes please! you are super welcome and I have some supplies to start you out with)
we will be doing boardie stitch n bitch take 1 at my place in jersey city nj (you can take PATH from NYC or NJ turnpike) at 6 pm - 10 pm on tuesday 2/23. PM if you need directions or other info

#28 Sunny Sunshine

Sunny Sunshine
  • VibeTribe
  • 653 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

ok so just incase anyone is confused by this (ie any one bsides spiffy and I would like to join! yes please! you are super welcome and I have some supplies to start you out with)
we will be doing boardie stitch n bitch take 1 at my place in jersey city nj (you can take PATH from NYC or NJ turnpike) at 6 pm - 10 pm on tuesday 2/23. PM if you need directions or other info

I'm not in on this but the 23rd is a Monday :) Tuesday would be the 24th :)

#29 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

oh, i thought this was going on tomorrow...the 17th :lol:

#30 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:07 PM

sorry spiffy I am still trying to get myself caught up from a week away (then a weekend of partying!) tonight is dedicated to the mountain of laundry that has taken over our entire room!
but definitely on for next week.... (which is 2/24)

#31 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

its all good. oooh! i modified a hat pattern to make slouchy hats w/ a crocheted brim, u r gonna love it. should we be super lame and organized and do specific projects? or just whatever we're working on at the time.
i have this great leg warmer patter, its kinda lacey its really gorgeous outta the Lace Style book. Not a beginner pattern, and each legwarmer takes a week to make if you're diligent. they're oh so classy...best done in a solid color cause you lose the pattern if the yarn is too busy.

#32 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

well my kinda priority to to finally finish up my damn socks..... they have been the issue with my knitting as they are just like this constant reminder that I am a quitter!

I would be up for some leg warmers though.... not sure if I am up for the lace though as that is what is killing my socks.... though I guess as long as it isn't size 1 needles I will be happy

#33 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:32 AM

ugh, size 1's? I only used them once and I believe that project is still unfinished from summer '07. On my behalf, one of the needles broke cause they're so damn tiny!
The leg warmers use size 3, 4, & 5 DPNs and seriously, the lace pattern is mind numbingly easy.
http://s3.amazonaws....1ed5412fc-large

I've made 2 pairs, but lost one of the 2nd pair I made. I think I left them at Matt's dad's place cause when I moved I searched EVERYWHERE and they weren't in any of my things.

#34 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:35 AM

ps. these are called "leg cozies"...lol

#35 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

Anything with "cozie" in it, I totally have to make. :funny1:

#36 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

Ohh I like those! definitely bring the pattern over.... maybe I will go yarn shopping tonight! I wish I could rationalize all the nice stuff over at that yarn store!

#37 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:59 AM

oooh can we go to the yarn store together? yarn stores are like chocolate...yum.

#38 Sunshower

Sunshower
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

Man, I sooo wish I lived closer to you!:undecided:

#39 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

Its actually not that bad to get to our place from LI (assuming you have a car) it only takes me about 45 min to get to Mulcahy's or 1 hours to get to Melville (haha the only 2 places I know on LI!)...... though I guess if you are heading down at like 5 pm there might be a bit of traffic

#40 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

i'm looking forward to this more and more each day!

#41 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

yay! ok I decided it had been long enough ... took out the 3 boxes of knitting gear last night and started on this hat.... its so freaking cute but it took me 3-4 starts to actually get the picot cast on right... I am only on like row 4 now after about 3 hours of solid knitting and just hoping that the stash yarn I used will work out (I checked the gauge and its like 13 st = 4" instead of 20 st = 4" so I just decreased the cast on from 158 to 107 - since it had to be a multiple of 3 + 2 st) and hopefully that is going to work)

http://knitty.com/IS...ssdashwood.html

#42 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

That hat is adorable!!

#43 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

thanks! well the hat drama continued last night..... *someone* might have been knitting while watching TV and read p2tog instead of p4tog and did 4 rows (of 101 st each) before noticing and may have had a bit of a temper tantrum when she had to rip it all out one stupid stitch at a time!!!!! poor jeremy was like ummm I though this was suppose to be for relaxing and enjoyment as I am cursing like a sailor and throwing needles around.......

oh well.... its all downhill from here - just need to finish up about 1" of the "body" of the hat and then onto the crown!

I am not sure if I will add the earflaps or not.... any mothers want to weigh in?

#44 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

:lol: If I don't swear at a project I'm working on it's not challenging enough for me. I used to quilt a lot and my hubby always laughed b/c I swore so much! :lmao:

I personally would add the earflaps. I just made my daughter a kitty cat hat (with ears) and last night I added the ear flaps with i-cord ties. I was nervous she wouldn't like it but she wouldn't take it off this morning! If it's intended to be a warm hat earflaps are a good idea, especially for a little one. Then the ties are awesome b/c they can't take it off! :)

#45 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

noooo ear flaps! The hat is way too cute, and it would look weird w/ the floppy brim. Last night was fun, I really needed a girls night. Have a safe flight!

#46 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

wait, i just checked the link out. I like the ear flaps.
carry on...:lol:

#47 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

wait, i just checked the link out. I like the ear flaps.
carry on...:lol:

:lol: You can barely see them! :wink:

#48 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

thanks! well the hat drama continued last night..... *someone* might have been knitting while watching TV and read p2tog instead of p4tog and did 4 rows (of 101 st each) before noticing and may have had a bit of a temper tantrum when she had to rip it all out one stupid stitch at a time!!!!! poor jeremy was like ummm I though this was suppose to be for relaxing and enjoyment as I am cursing like a sailor and throwing needles around.......

I did this a few weeks ago right after I learned how to knit on dpns. I fucked up somehow and was knitting into the purl stitches ( :funny1: ), and noticed after it was too late, and I got pissed and ripped the whole thing out. Rich was just sitting there like, why did you do that? :bolt:

At least I got practice casting onto them 8 more times. :lol:

#49 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

I did this a few weeks ago right after I learned how to knit on dpns. I fucked up somehow and was knitting into the purl stitches ( :funny1: ), and noticed after it was too late, and I got pissed and ripped the whole thing out. Rich was just sitting there like, why did you do that? :bolt:

At least I got practice casting onto them 8 more times. :lol:

what I do is cast ALL the stitches onto one of the DPNs and then slip stitches onto the other needles. It keeps the cast on row tighter IMO

:funny1:, Matt and I don't live close enough for him to see my knitting freak outs. Some how last night I ended up with two extra stitches on one needle and for the life of me I cannot figure out how. Its freakin retarded, I finally got one pattern repeat done, starting on the 2nd and its already messed up. It took me a whole freakin day to knit the k2 p2 ribbing for 3 inches plus the first 12 row pattern on FOUR size 3 DPNs. Theres no way I'm starting over.
damn leg cozies.

#50 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

hey spiffy.... you don't have a yarn swift or ball winder do you? I bought a bunch of yarn online the other day and now I am sort of wondering how I am going to wind it from the hanks (other than slowly by hand and with a lot of yelling, tangles and aggrevation) I am hoping that my LYS will let me use theirs for a few bucks even though I didn't buy the yarn there

also are we on for a night later this week? thursday maybe???