• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,169 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

I can't even express how angry I was when I read this story.  I hope she's forced to pay back every cent she scammed people out of. 

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1313078

Here's hoping this doesn't prevent people from donating to charities for cancer victims who really do need help. 

#2 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

At least she was a junkie and had a "legit" reason. This case was from back around 2000

Woman Fakes Cancer for Cash, Gets Probation

BOSTON — A woman who pretended to have cancer and bilked friends, neighbors and family members out of more than $43,000 was sentenced to two years' probation.

Kristen Clougherty, 25, pleaded guilty to larceny and was ordered to repay the money and perform 300 hours of community service. She used money for breast enlargement surgery, a new car and hotel stays, prosecutors said.

#3 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Legit? At least the other chick got something out of it besides track marks. She at least had a car and a nice rack afterwards.

Not that either are excusable. I would definitely :hit:  either one of them if I met them.

#4 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,314 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

I can't even express how angry I was when I read this story.  I hope she's forced to pay back every cent she scammed people out of. 

Here's hoping this doesn't prevent people from donating to charities for cancer victims who really do need help. 

I saw this.  Grandmom sold her house, gave her 100K, dad cleared out IRA and donated 25K to charity for cancer research,

Awful.

What is wrong with people?

#5 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

my ex-wife faked cancer.  you'll notice the "ex" before wife.

#6 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,169 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

my ex-wife faked cancer.  you'll notice the "ex" before wife.

I can't understand what would drive someone to fake such an awful disease. 

I also know someone who faked it as well (brain cancer).  He was really fucked up in the head for a long time and supposedly has gotten help with his issues, but I still don't like or trust him.  I do my best to have nothing to do with him but he's married to a friend of mine so it gets awkward sometimes.  (Don't ask... long story)

#7 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,022 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

:popcorn1:   

#8 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

My sister is a hypochondriac & compulsive liar. I don't understand it. She gets no benefit from it. Except the attention. I suppose that's what they're after. Or in some cases, money, too.

#9 territoryranger

territoryranger
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

Not gonna stop me......and most people i'm sure....ya just gotta make sure who you're handing money to.......and it sometimes pay to deal directly with a charity.for example i get calls all the time from people looking for donations,and i ask them who they are.turns out they are telemarketers(who might actually be authorized to solicit for a particular charity).and I when i ask them what percentage of the proceeds go to the actual cause,either they don't know,or won't tell you,or it turns out to be a really low percentage,usually around 10 or 15%.That is when i decline,even though i realize there are operating costs and so on,it is my opinion that is too low...People asking for donations on the streets or outside of shopping stores,ask to see ID,although that can be faked too.

#10 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

My sister is a hypochondriac & compulsive liar. I don't understand it. She gets no benefit from it. Except the attention. I suppose that's what they're after. Or in some cases, money, too.

ding ding!

that and the ability to manipulate others.

#11 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,022 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

ding ding!

that and the ability to manipulate others.

Yup.

manipulation = control.

#12 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,792 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

What is wrong with people?

asked and answered. :coffee:

#13 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

People suck.

No matter what's going on or what just happened, you can do a "6 degrees to People Suck" every time.

Sometimes you're that person.

#14 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,302 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

This happens a lot.  A girl I was good friends with in high school did this and got caught.  She came into my office the other day and I tried my best to be nice to her, but really couldn't.  

#15 pixiebug

pixiebug
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

ick.  i feel so bad for her family.

#16 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,474 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:57 PM

can't read about it, too disturbing to me personally  :undecided:

#17 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,598 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:58 AM

If Habit was hungry he should have just asked for a sammich. 

#18 territoryranger

territoryranger
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Well,you know,sometimes what comes around,goes around.Although I would never wish cancer on anyone.Someday this chick might actually get cancer.and if she does.....it's kinda mean to say...but it serves her right.

#19 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,169 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Quick update:  She was arraigned, pled not guilty, bail was set and last I read, she's still in jail pending someone putting up $75K for her.

#20 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,354 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:14 AM

liars r us doesn't have a slush fund to bail out members in good standing??