• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,847 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

A secret deal on drones, sealed in blood

The CIA has conducted hundreds of drone strikes in Pakistan that have killed thousands of people, Pakistanis and Arabs, militants and civilians alike.

Nek Muhammad knew he was being followed.

On a hot day in June 2004, the Pashtun tribesman was lounging inside a mud compound in South Waziristan, speaking by satellite phone to one of the many reporters who regularly interviewed him on how he had fought and humbled Pakistan’s army in the country’s western mountains. He asked one of his followers about the strange, metallic bird hovering above him.

Less than 24 hours later, a missile tore through the compound, severing Muhammad’s left leg and killing him and several others, including two boys, ages 10 and 16. A Pakistani military spokesman was quick to claim responsibility for the attack, saying that Pakistani forces had fired at the compound.

That was a lie.

Muhammad and his followers had been killed by the CIA, the first time it had deployed a Predator drone in Pakistan to carry out a “targeted killing.” The target was not a top operative of Al Qaeda, but a Pakistani ally of the Taliban who led a tribal rebellion and was marked by Pakistan as an enemy of the state.

In a secret deal, the CIA had agreed to kill him in exchange for access to airspace it had long sought so it could use drones to hunt down its own enemies.

That back-room bargain, described in detail for the first time in interviews with more than a dozen officials in Pakistan and the United States, is critical to understanding the origins of a covert drone war that began under the Bush administration, was embraced and expanded by President Barack Obama, and is now the subject of fierce debate.

The deal, a month after a blistering internal report about abuses in the CIA’s network of secret prisons, paved the way for the CIA to change its focus from capturing terrorists to killing them, and helped transform an agency that began as a cold war espionage service into a paramilitary organization.

Much more here

http://www.thestar.c...d_in_blood.html

#2 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

Well I for one am truly shocked. :lmao:

Hope for Change!

Yes We Can!

#3 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,668 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

I am actually on board with Drones being bad now.

I said originally if after time there was still secrecacy, no outrage, no transparency, etc... I would, and I have jumped on board.

The thing about this article though, is it is mentioning 2004?  Middle of Bush era?

I know it happens today too, probably far more often than then, but is the point of the thread that it took 9 years for the truth of this strike to come out?  

#4 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,847 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

I think it sheds a little light on how we got to where we are today as far as their use and the secrecy surrounding them.

#5 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

I think it sheds a little light on how we got to where we are today as far as their use and the secrecy surrounding them.

I think it presents the reality that our government, like all governments, is nothing more than organized crime.

#6 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,668 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

I think it presents the reality that our government, like all governments, is nothing more than organized crime.

ObamaSopranos.jpg

#7 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Well, That's only one side of the coin. This story highlights how neo-cons assassinated a man that was an enemy of the Pakistani Cartel in exchange for favors. Then they completely lied about it to the American people (and the world) and claimed something completely untrue in order to hide their crime.

Like I said, government is nothing more than organized crime. Murder, extortion, theft, democide, assassination, drug trafficking, human trafficking, etc....

#8 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,668 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

Story for Joker:

Source: U.S. debating targeted killing of American terror suspect overseas

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

The Obama administration is in high-level discussions about staging an operation to kill an American citizen involved with al Qaeda and suspected of plotting attacks against the United States, a senior U.S. official tells CNN.

The official, who declined to disclose any specific information about the target or the country the suspect presides in, was confirming information first reported by The Associated Press.

The debate about whether to undertake a mission is being held with various commanders in the U.S. military, as well as the U.S. national security agencies. The discussion centers on the risk involved and the importance of the target.

Before military force against an American is approved, there must be an imminent danger and no reasonable prospect of capturing the target. Ultimately, the President would need to sign off on the decision.

The U.S. has targeted an American before, most notably Yemeni-American cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, a key member of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula who was killed by a U.S. drone in 2011. Another American, Samir Khan, was killed in the same strike, though he was not the target of the operation. Khan was behind al Qaeda's English-language Inspire magazine, which aimed to influence jihadis and wannabe jihadis around the world.

#9 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

Holder already said that they have constitutional grounds for such action because they can change the meaning of words via a "legal flexivble definition" program where by "imminent threat" doesn't necessarily have to mean imminent and "terrorist" can be applied to just about whoever they want for national security reasons under the "flexible definitions" clause of legal jargon.

#10 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

Joker, every drone takes jobs away from special forces teams. Maybe you can start a union? ;)