• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

Yayyy I can finally knit with dpn's!!! :bliss:

The doors have opened to endless possibilities of knitting projects! I'm freakin' good at it, too! (Not to toot my own horn or anything. :funny1: )

I'm just so excited to not have to stitch together hats and coozies and everything else! :woot:

#2 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

DPN's are pretty cool once you get the hang of it. :) They're intimidating though...

#3 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:22 PM

Oh tell me about it. They used to frighten me and I think that's why I waited so long to use them. I need to get more little needle enders, though, so I don't have my stitches slipping off the needles that I'm not using. That part drives me nuts. :lol:

#4 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

What? They make such things for that? :lol:

#5 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

I love dpns! one trick I use is to loop a rubber band around the stiches - its hard to explain it.... but hook one end of the rubber band around each side of the needle with the stitches in the middle so they are kinda gathered together then I just put the rubber band around my wrist when I work that needle

also make sure you have the right size -- if you have the correct length they shouldn't slip off

#6 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

i love DPNs. LOVE them. for serial.

#7 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:48 AM

Yeah, I don't know why I was so scared of them before. :blush:

Got a little pack of counters, stitch holders, point protectors (yeah, not needle enders...:funny1: ) and some stitch markers. :dance:

I'm ready to knit up a storm! :pimp:

#8 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

Oh I could have shit my pants the other night I was so irritated. I was watching tv while knitting, and got distracted, and picked up my project the wrong way, and didn't notice I was knitting into the purl stitches, so for a good row or 2, I fucked up my circle!!! :ravn: I got so mad that I ripped the whole thing out (had a good inch and a half going), and had to start over. :ravn:

But, I did it with no problems, which is good, which means I learned how to cast onto the dpns and how to do that awful first row (I cast on tight apparently). I'm on the right track! It's going very smooth now! :jam:

I had a Dr's appointment yesterday, and I brought my knitting with me while I was waiting in the waiting room, and a few people commented on my knitting. They were like, what the heck is that? :funny1: Guess they were used to only the straight needles!

#9 bsktcase

bsktcase
  • VibeTribe
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

DPN's? Double Pointed Needles? I'm a noob knitter, crochet is more my thing.

#10 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

lol I cast on tight as well. Its such a pain in the ass for that first row! ESPECIALLY if there are too many stitches on the needles. I've made so many hats my bf makes fun of me. "is that another hat?"

#11 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:52 AM

I'm almost done with my hat!!! :crazy:

I've been reading a lot lately, so I keep switching back and forth between this hat and reading. I'm a little scurd to start decreasing, though. Do I need to use a stitch marker at this point? How do I keep track of my "rows" when I'm using 3 needles? :eek:

#12 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

You can usually tell where you're at by where your starting yarn is hanging off. It's hard to tell though with DPNs. With the decreases that usually keeps you in line too since you would do one row of decreases, then one row plain, etc. until you're down to just a few stitches.

Don't know if that helped!! :lol:

#13 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:01 AM

how many stitches did you cast on? how many do you have now? I stopped using a stitch marker a while ago w/ hats, cause like fire rocket said you can tell where the row ends by where the cast-on tail is hanging.
I usually cast on a multiple of 8 stitches (56 -baby, 64 -toddler, 72-young adult, 80 -man sized) so that when it comes time to decrease I do K6 K2tog, K a row, K5 K2tog, K 3 rows, K4 K2tog, K a row, etc til you get down to K1 K2tog and then after that I K2tog all the way around to make the hole at the top of the hat smaller. Don't knit a row after the K1, K2tog...just do the K2tog all the way around.
6 1/4 inches from cast-on is where I start the decreases on a 72 or 80 stitch hat.
just depends on how many stitches you started w/

#14 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

Yeah, I'm kind of a tard and didn't realize I could tell because of the string hanging from when I cast on. :funny1: I have I think 106 stitches that I cast on? I normally do 86 with the pattern I'm using, but since I am using smaller needles, I had to cast on more. Plus knitting in the round, it's tighter.

#15 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

hmmm....what size needles?

#16 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

ok ..... that ebay thread on the main board killed my work today... I just boguht some beads for my pandora bracelet and was ablout to buy a yarn swift but check out what I just got instead.... http://cgi.ebay.com/...15&po=LVI&ps=54

15 sets of 5 bamboo DPNs size 0-13 (I think) for only $9.99!!!!!!!!! basically awesome!
I can't wait to knit with them! (though I still need to get this whold swift/ ballwinder set up thing)

#17 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:46 PM

What the shit? I want! :crazy:

Awesome snag, Carla!

#18 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

they have like 20 more sets up there -- buy now so you don't have to wait too!

just search bamboo US double pointed needles

#19 bsktcase

bsktcase
  • VibeTribe
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

I'm so jealous of you ladies and your ability to use DPN's! I'm making a meandering rib scarf with two normal needles.....it's difficult for me so far.....and I already screwed up a few rows....but otherwise, it looks pretty good. :)

#20 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

you can always use circular needles for projects in the round if you are a bit weary of DPNS.... they are really easy to use but it really is best if you see them being used first cause its a bit counter-intuitive

or just do it the old fashioned way.... fall in love with a pattern that uses them and just curse and temper-tantrum your way through it!

#21 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

they have like 20 more sets up there -- buy now so you don't have to wait too!

just search bamboo US double pointed needles

I found them! I want them! :Phishfolk:

So much for my 30 day list. :lol:

(Whenever I want something, I'm supposed to write it down and not buy it for 30 days, and then after 30 days goes by...I'll look at my list and see if I still want it. My green Uggs were on that list, and Rich went and bought them for me, so my list idea isn't working out well. :funny1: )

#22 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

hehe yeah.... I was with friends this weekend and they were telling me about how they were saving $1500 a month for a downpayment on a house.... and I was just like um well.... um I bought a wine off the bon appetit 20 under $10 list this week

I have to admit I am pretty good at not going crazy spending and I definitely don't buy clothes like I use to (or wear trashy disposable clothing anymore for that matter) I figure this is actually a big savings cause I usually buy a set when I start a project and bamboo DPN sets can be anywhere from $6 - 15 in a yarn store so to get 15 sets for $10 is really saving me like $300 :)

#23 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

Oh I hear ya. I've cut my spending down a lot myself. I've just decided that I have TOO much stuff, so ya know. :funny1:

#24 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

I have to learn how to knit....

#25 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

yay they came today!!!!!!!!!! they look really nice and I would definitely recommend this seller to anyone

#26 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

i have almost a complete set already, but it'd still be cheaper to get the set you got to complete it than to buy the sizes I'm missing. PLUS I want shorter DPNs for socks and gloves (fingers and toes are a bitch to knit on those longer needles :lol:)

#27 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:13 PM

Carla...did you get the set from the person in China? I ordered them and haven't gotten them yet. Hmph. :tapfoot:

#28 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

yeah they were on my desk when I came in this morning.... I would give a few more days though since they are coming from china and all :) but you should be getting them soon!

#29 Sunshower

Sunshower
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

I have to learn how to knit....

Me too, Joia!:wink:

#30 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

Still nothin. :ravn:

Yes, I know, it's from China...but still. I'm impatient. :funny1:

#31 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:55 PM

My needles finally came! I sent them to my parent's house I guess, so now I have to wait until next weekend to get them. :ravn:

Oh well...it's not like I'm knitting these days anyways. :funny1: We're too busy packing stuff up! :dance:

#32 catseye03

catseye03
  • VibeTribe
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:07 AM

I magic loop everything.Its a lot easier the dpn.

#33 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

Magic loop whaaaaaaa? Like nifty knitter?

#34 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

no...i don't completely understand it but I think its useing 2 larger circular needles to work a piece in the round....

since DPNs aren't really an issue w me I never learned it b.c it seemed complecated but a lot of people seem to use/ like it

#35 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

Oh, with the "wirey" stuff in between that connect them? I have some of those at home, and I tried them, and I thought they were a pain in the ass. haha The "wire" kept curling. Maybe my project wasn't big enough to use them? I dunno.