VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Here is a synopsized portable version i typed out for ease of printing:

1. Be impeccable with your word.
a. Speak with integrity.
b. Say only what you mean.
c. Avoid using the Word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others.
d. Use the power of your Word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don't take anything personally.
a. Nothing others do is because of you.
b. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality; their own dream.
c. When you are immune to the opinions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don't make assumptions.
a. Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want.
b. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama.
c. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always do your best.
a. Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick.
b. under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.

#2 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

I read this book

1c= no character assassination

#3 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 24,283 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

:clapping:   :heart:

#4 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,575 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

awesome book and worth and annual re-read.

also invite people to read: http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/1878424548

and: http://www.amazon.co...ifth agreeement

the above are similar to The Four Agreements (though the fifth agreement is beneficial in understanding how language structures an illusory reality but, it too, emphasizes why we never need to take others opinions personally.. opinions are stories and all people are story tellers)

but this one, Mastery of Love is a bit different, it explains the wounding of people and how that affects relationships.. breeds fear, insecurity... beautiful book  and, I think, one of the best: http://www.amazon.co...mastery of love

"In The Mastery of Love, don Miguel illuminates the fear-based beliefs and assumptions that undermine love and lead to suffering and drama in our relationships. Using insightful stories to bring his message to life, he shows us how to heal our emotional wounds, recover the freedom and joy that are our birthright, and restore the spirit of playfulness that is vital to loving relationships. Using teachings from the three Toltec Masteries (Awareness, Transformation, and Love) as a foundation, don Miguel brings to light the fallacies and misplaced expectations about love that permeate most relationships. He gracefully shares his wisdom through delightful and engaging stories that clarify each point and bring his message to life."

#5 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,727 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Much good. Some not so good.

#6 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Much good. Some not so good.

the four agreements as outlined above?

#7 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,348 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

Thank you for typing that out.  I love it. 

#8 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,927 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:24 AM

Thank you for typing that out.  I love it. 

he cut and pasted it.  :funny1:  how many agreements did I just break?

#9 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:18 AM

he cut and pasted it.  :funny1:  how many agreements did I just break?

i typed it out, copied word for word from the abbreviated four agreements meme that has been circulating.  ;)

by putting it into regular type/font, my hope is to make it easier for someone to print and keep it with them.  :)

#10 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,914 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:33 AM

i don't know about 4 agreements, but i'll agree to the testimony that Cur kicks some serious ass. Don't believe me? come at me bro....

#11 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,493 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:42 AM

good thing they left out start arguments for the point of arguing on the internet.  :pimp:

#12 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,232 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

the second agreement takes a little work

#13 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,727 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

the four agreements as outlined above?

The book doesn't deal with enough of the complexities that we face in real life. Call this depths, subtleties, complexities, real situations, etc. ~ Summarizing the agreements is good, but also doesn't help with the depths. In general I think these are good rules of thumb. I've seen them applied in my own life and in the lives of others to good effect. I've also seem them misused. I believe that stems in part from the book not going deep enough in it's explanations and examples. 

I also take issue with some of the presentation in the book -- but that's not central to the message and could be considered subjective preference  (though I am correct) and so really can be overlooked.

#14 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,232 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

so when should one

not do their best?

not be impeccable with their word?

And make assumptions and take things personally? 

#15 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

so when should one

not do their best?

not be impeccable with their word?

And make assumptions and take things personally? 

not sure

not sure

When posting on the Vibes board

#16 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 555 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

In general I think these are good rules of thumb.

this is my only use for them as well...and why i posted the typed out synopsis.  real life is never as rigid as universal application those tenets allows.

#17 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,727 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

this is my only use for them as well...and why i posted the typed out synopsis.  real life is never as rigid as universal application those tenets allows.

Exactly. 

#18 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

While they are somewhat general, I think more people putting these ideas into their lives would be a damn cool thing.

But that's just an assumption I'm making. :funny1:

#19 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

Well you've come to the right place to do so.   

#20 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

The book doesn't deal with enough of the complexities that we face in real life. Call this depths, subtleties, complexities, real situations, etc. ~ Summarizing the agreements is good, but also doesn't help with the depths. In general I think these are good rules of thumb. I've seen them applied in my own life and in the lives of others to good effect. I've also seem them misused. I believe that stems in part from the book not going deep enough in it's explanations and examples. 

I also take issue with some of the presentation in the book -- but that's not central to the message and could be considered subjective preference  (though I am correct) and so really can be overlooked.

This.

I like some of the ideas within the book but struggled to swallow it as a whole.

#21 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,727 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

This.

I like some of the ideas within the book but struggled to swallow it as a whole.

Thank you for saying so; you are why I bothered mentioning it at all.

I like the concepts. I try to adopt the "believe it if you need it, if you don't just pass it on" attitude -- meaning I don't need to comment-on or criticize what others find of value. Yet I see in so many places (here and others) where everyone just praises and praises this book. I don't wonder if I'm wrong or crazy for thinking otherwise; I know why I think what I think. But I wonder if I'm doing a disservice by not speaking my mind. Others might feel the same way and might take some comfort in seeing that view expressed.

#22 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 24,283 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

(((Sharing perspectives)))

Yes

As much as I can feel that the Agreements are over simplified, I also wonder if in reality it is that simple when we take them purely rather than construe for a specified purpose.

Noting that simple does not correlate with level of difficulty.

#23 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 24,283 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

Remember  :heart: