• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

4.5 months?

holy shit.. we need to SOMETHING to keep Ana asleep. one night of her life she's gone the whole night without waking up.

now she will wake herself up anywhere from 10 to 90 minutes of getting put down in the crib. regardless of how she starts (awake when put down, alseep when put down). diapers wake her up, car horns, a closing door in the hallway, the creaks of the floor... she wakes herself with a startle reflex even if there are no outside influences. i CANNOT get her back to sleep without holding her, and the MOMENT i move to put her down, she wakes up and cannot be soothed again.

She's in the swaddle, and has only the binkie to soothe her (providing she hasn't spit it out). She will destroy her face if we let her out of the swaddle, and she just doesn't have the command of her arms yet. the reflux is still an issue, as well, but it seems to be WAY more under control now that we've been introducing cereal to thicken the feed, and also fruit with 2 feedings. We want to be firm, and traini her to get herself sleep, but without the arms, and the digestive issues, we feel like we're torturing her

today's been ROUGH on mom at home, and the typical schedule is WAY out the window.... SO tonight is going to be different than the norm, and Lisa's looking forward to a new bedtime routine.

I'm looking forward to ANYTHING different. it's SOOOO difficult to keep this up without ANY solid sleep. mommy and I are going to KOS very soon.

keep your fingers crossed for us, and while we're hearing a million different ideas, suggestions and sympathy from everyone i certainly wouldn't mind hearing anything you've got as well.

#2 hippiechickme

hippiechickme
  • VibeTribe
  • 675 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:16 PM

what if you leave her out of the swaddle and put mittens on her hands?

#3 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:45 AM

oh, jamie. i feel your pain. jeremy was like that as a baby, without the digestive issues. i have no solid advice for you, just sympathy. i think that some babies are just wired that way, and are not good sleepers. jeremy slept through the night for the first time just before he was a year old. when he was ana's age, he generally woke at least every two hours to nurse. if he went four hours, i felt lucky. if he went 6, it was like heaven. when he woke up, he often couldn't get back to sleep, and that was painful. just make sure that you lisa relieve each other for naps when you can. i hope you find a routine that works for everyone soon. :heart:

#4 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,260 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:01 AM

you drink now. hang in there.

#5 shadeelady

shadeelady
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

do you have a swing? when i can't get noah down (he's almost 4 months), i let him sleep in the swing. it usually puts him right out and he'll sleep for 5 or 6 hours at a shot. it has been a lifesaver for me.

#6 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,634 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

try putting a fan in her room. white noise is good for sleeping babies. the constant noise might help prevent her from startling awake to other noises in the house.

good luck. it gets easier, i promise!

#7 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

she takes the mittens off her hands when she's awake, so we haven't even thought of them while sleeping...

she takes her morning nap (30) minutes in the swing, and generally won't last any longer than that. other naps were moved to the crib because she was waking faster in the swing.

we've been running white noise since she week 1. She was so colicky in the first couple of weeks, that she needed the white noise always, for sleep . we've got a new one that she's been responding very well too, and it is ALWAY on when she's sleeping, or when we're trying to get her to sleep. i can't imagine it not being on. :lol: we've tried some different settings, but she likes "rain".

when we first put Ana down last night we did it with one arm out of the swaddle. she was using it to calm herself, and went a couple hours before a diaper got in her way. after that, she was having none of it, and i had to hold her for the next couple hours to give her and her mother some sleep. She did well after the 1:00am feeding, and didn't wake until 5:30, and woke happy.

we'll see how it goes tonight. thanks for the ideas and the sympathy... this is rough shit.

#8 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

it gets easier, i promise!

And then summer comes and it's light out later and she'll think bed time is playtime :lol:

#9 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

I feel your pain! We used to let Eliza cry it out and she would literally cry for 4 hours straight. :bang: She was so bad!!

We were very firm on the not sleeping with us rule but some nights we had to give in so that we could all get some sleep. It didn't happen often, but when it did it was a godsend since we could all get some sleep. Thank God she eventually grew out of that but it took months and months. :bang: Even now sometimes when I lay her down I cringe and am scared to leave the room.

Earplugs work if you're going to let her cry it out.

#10 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:27 AM

This made me giggle:

http://www.npr.org/b...nts?sc=fb&cc=fp

#11 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:59 PM

It's a constant trial & error. Don't beat yourself up about what you 'should' do. Do what works for you. It does get easier. Around 3 months, maybe sooner, they get better about getting on a schedule, sleeping a bit longer etc. Think about it, she came out of a dark, quiet, warm place to this loud, bright, cold, crazy world. It takes some time to adjust:heart:

#12 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

timing is everything.. i should have posted this thread 3 weeks ago.

last night she only woke for the diaper around 12 and then to eat. the last 2 days she hasn't fought a single nap, and has essentially changed the entire nap schedule. It would seem that this is helping the night time sleeping.

I'd really like to hope she's found a groove here. :beer:

Kel, that's the hardest thing. Lisa is killing herself about what she's done since day one, trying to find the place were "she went wrong on helping Ana sleep". She knows as well as I do that this isn't the case, but the pressure you put on yourself is nuts.

#13 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,634 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

i read this book when i was pregnant with my oldest and it really helped with sleeping. http://www.amazon.co...05837549&sr=8-1 their theory is a well rested baby will stay well rested and an overtired baby will stay overtired. it's a sleep begets sleep kind of thing. and it's chapters go straight through to teenage years.
i have to say, 8 years and 2 kids in, i find this to be truth (at least in my situation). i'd send it your way if i still had it.

#14 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:07 PM

Kel, that's the hardest thing. Lisa is killing herself about what she's done since day one, trying to find the place were "she went wrong on helping Ana sleep". She knows as well as I do that this isn't the case, but the pressure you put on yourself is nuts.

we all do this & it's crazy. and as soon as you think you've got her figured out, she'll have a growth spurt or something & it will all change again

#15 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:57 PM

we all do this & it's crazy. and as soon as you think you've got her figured out, she'll have a growth spurt or something & it will all change again

It's like the changing of the seasons. something works for months and all of a sudden it's spring and ALL THE RULES have changed :rotf:

#16 mamapajama

mamapajama
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:20 AM

Neither of my kids slept through the night until they were a year old. That is why they are almost 5 years apart. :). (I can smile about it now.) They have slept quite well and been good about their bedtimes ever since.