War is a Lie

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,445 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

I couldn't decide between here and the literary forum. So here it is. Thanks, CC. I'm picking this up on kindle when I get home. Although I would say I'm not gonna learn much after watching the below youtube.

I completely agree with DAvid Swanson. And then some.

#2 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,445 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

I'm actually inclined to buy 30 copies and send them around to people. I prolly wont though. Because spending $300 to place a bunch of dust collectors in my friends and families houses, just doesnt sound appealing. :lol:

#3 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,809 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:46 PM

I want to buy the book because it looks like each chapter articulates answers to all of the common justifications for war.

#4 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,445 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:49 PM

I'll let you know if it's laid out that well if you dont beat me to it.

#5 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,760 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

But the warring is real

#6 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,809 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

But the warring is real

but the justifications for it are not.

yeah, let me know if it's worth it, tasb

#7 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

Might as well toss in a copy of the 10 Commandments with your mailing.

#8 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,445 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

Might as well toss in a copy of the 10 Commandments with your mailing.

?

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

Basic principles of common sense that gather dust.

#10 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,445 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

Yes, well. This is why I refuse to shut up anymore.

I'd rather be seen as a raving lunatic, than someone who silently consents to mass murder and atrocities. Among other things.

#11 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,809 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:48 AM

Yes, well. This is why I refuse to shut up anymore.

I'd rather be seen as a raving lunatic, than someone who silently consents to mass murder and atrocities. Among other things.

Thank you, TASB.

Please don't give up. Just one or two at a time. I am making headway with a friend in just the last few days. He's asking questions about some of what I've been posting on fb - he's even reposting some of it :)

My brother gets a bunch of the guys who go out fishing with him to watch his documentaries while in the wheel house - he's gotten a few more on board.

Next year I will require all students speeches to pertain to global issues (WTO, World Bank, trade policies, war...). I think when they investigate, their eyes will open a bit. You can't focus on the masses, seek one at a time. :heart: Example: that picture of me on fb, holding a ron paul sign? the young woman next to me? a former student who said my media class is what caused her to start a group on campus and become an activist (now, she also has her roommate on board). don't lose hope.

for inspiration "like" veterans for ron paul, women for ron paul, students for ron paul... you can read posts of others who believe as you/we do--it's inspiring.

I think I've signed and sent 5 petitions this week. be the change.

i would recommend this book. I have seen this man speak at my yoga center. he is on fire but with great love

http://www.andrewhar...net/TheHope.php

"A spirituality that is only private and self-absorbed, one devoid of an authentic political and social consciousness, does little to halt the suicidal juggernaut of history. On the other hand, an activism that is not purified by profound spiritual and psychological self-awareness and rooted in divine truth, wisdom, and compassion will only perpetuate the problem it is trying to solve, however righteous its intentions. When, however, the deepest and most grounded spiritual vision is married to a practical and pragmatic drive to transform all existing political, economic, and social institutions, a holy force - the power of wisdom and love in action - is born. This force I define as Sacred Activism."

- Andrew Harvey

#12 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,445 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:15 AM

Hi cc, and anyone else who is interested in this type of material (everyone I would hope). I finished this off in a few sittings and for you personally, Kris, it is probably not going to send you any goosebumps of new discovery, anger, sadness or plight. David does a good job articulating key points of understanding and backs them up with an index of cite source material. I would say this is something you might wish to pursue on basis of student consumption, but perhaps may not find a lot of use for it personally depending on your level of understanding and historical expertise.

Still, this is an excellent read that will make you ask a LOT of necessary questions and perhaps even change your mind. :heart::gop:

#13 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,445 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

The best part about this book has to be the slap in the head about the amount of money that goes into funding wars that are brought on by lies.

There is a point where an ex-Merican, now living in Sweden, speaks with a senator from NY while on vacation in NYC. the senator chuckles about the taxes in Sweden. The expat quickly stifles his chuckles by pointing out how americans pay a very similar price in tax, we just dont receive even close to the amount of "give back" or "entitlements" that come with the price of admission. Noting, "if Americans actually could see how much more the Swede deal gives than they are given, they would riot in the street."

#14 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,809 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

thanks for the update, dave.

putting off this type of reading for now. I am reading The Hope - about sacred activism (trying to narrow my activist brain to one cause - looking like I may focus on our food supply/monsanto, as I'm most passionate about it. But also want to do something more hands-on and local. My girlfriend and I are having a bonfire the 18th and bringing some people together to try to make a plan).

But I also have tons of research to do this summer for my media class (that reality is creeping in) so all my energies will be headed there soon.

#15 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,445 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:59 PM

That's cool. There is plenty to do, that's for sure. There is a few good chapters on the military control of media and the price of perception on miltary pundit talking points in here. May be worth investigating.