• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,749 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

So I recently bought a pair of barefoot running shoes. (Merrells, not the crazy toe ones...)  I've used them a couple of times on my treadmill, not outside yet....

I was wondering if anyone else had ventured down that path or not, and what you thought, if so. My stride is completely different, as well as the muscles it works out. I haven't quite gotten used to them yet - the jury is still out....

I would like to trail run with them - anyone do that??? 

Any crazy hobbit-footed actual barefoot runners out there? :)

#2 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

I use the crazy 5 fingers (toes) ones.

Start off slow!  I was already running barefoot on the treadmill before switching over to the 5 fingers so my body didn't have a hard time.  They suggest not just putting them on and going for a long run or walking 10 miles in them.....people's legs might fall off. For me, the adjustment issue was wearing that type of shoe all spring/summer/fall and then switching over to hiking boots with heels in the fall/winter.  Lol, I had to learn to walk again!

Trail hiking/running is a blast since your feet are so in touch with nature and all the wonderful feelings...  Prolly better you didn't get the five fingers, I was running/hiking up a mountain in Jamaica...in the dark and broke my toe.  Trying to fit a swollen baby toe the size of a big toe into my only pair of shoes sucked! 

#3 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,931 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

I have the barefoot Merrels.  Love em...

#4 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,749 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Trail hiking/running is a blast since your feet are so in touch with nature and all the wonderful feelings... 

I can't wait to hit the trails with them. As soon as it's not a muddy fucking swamp out there, anyway. I'm still working up to any distance. It definitely hammers on the calves way more than normal running!

#5 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,302 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

As I was hiking trails last year I'd sometimes pickup the pace to a run for a while. Really hit it one late afternoon when I realized if I didn't run the rest of the way I was gonna be out there in the dark. It's fun and the quicker pace kept my mind on the now rather than whatever useless chatter was happening.

A goal for this year might be to run the same longest-trails I hiked last year. Hadn't really thought of that yet, or the shoes -- so thanks for the stoke.  :smile2:

#6 Chelonian Princess

Chelonian Princess
  • VibeTribe
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

I have Nike Free and that's as minimal as I go. I just started running. I would like to try a 5K this year. I already do 3.5 miles on a treadmill in 30 minutes. :terrapin:

#7 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 697 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

I personally haven't subscribed t the whole barefoot runner trend yet, but I do understand the principles and beleive they may work.  I just like my nice cushy padded runners for the long distances I tend to cover.  Having said that, I have many friends who use and love those weird toe shoes.  They're comments are always the same, "start off slow, be patient, and keep at it" as you're whole body is basically relearning how to run using muscles it hasn't used effectively for, like, your whole life. 

My personal suggestion is to get off the treadmill.  Treadmills do very little to simulate actually running outdoors and if you intend to eventually go outside, you may as well begin building that tolerance now as you may need to start over again once you head outdoors (ie. running 5k successfully compfortably on the treadmill will likely mean you can only do, maybe, have that distance outside comfortably).  Just a suggestion based on my experiences.

http://fatandthefuri...lls-yay-or-nay/

It is also suggested that you complement your running plan with a basic strength-building program focused on your lower body, particularly your calves which are now working more than they used to.  Yoga would also be a good idea.

#8 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,749 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Yeah, I work out with weights a decent amount. I'm a skier and I also hike, so I try to keep my legs tuned up pretty well (though I've been lazy lately...) I go through spurts with yoga. Need to get on that train again...

Last time I ran with them, I think it was for only a mile and a half, and my calves were screaming afterwards. You really do retrain your leg muscles. I like them a lot though. The thing with the cushioned shoes though, I worried about that as well, but when you run barefoot/barefoot shoes, you don't land on the ground like you normally do - you naturally run very very lightfooted. No impact hardly at all on your heels, and very little on your soles. It's one of the supposed reasons its better for you. Whereas with regular shoes, you can really hammer down on your heels, which is bad on your feet and joints. That's what I've read, and that's what I've noticed when I run with these shoes. 

I'm convinced. But that's because how I personally feel. 

#9 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 697 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Yeah, I work out with weights a decent amount. I'm a skier and I also hike, so I try to keep my legs tuned up pretty well (though I've been lazy lately...) I go through spurts with yoga. Need to get on that train again...

Last time I ran with them, I think it was for only a mile and a half, and my calves were screaming afterwards. You really do retrain your leg muscles. I like them a lot though. The thing with the cushioned shoes though, I worried about that as well, but when you run barefoot/barefoot shoes, you don't land on the ground like you normally do - you naturally run very very lightfooted. No impact hardly at all on your heels, and very little on your soles. It's one of the supposed reasons its better for you. Whereas with regular shoes, you can really hammer down on your heels, which is bad on your feet and joints. That's what I've read, and that's what I've noticed when I run with these shoes. 

I'm convinced. But that's because how I personally feel. 

I respect that, and I'm sure you are right.  I've read the science behind it and I believe it to be sound (have your read 'Born to Run'?  Great read).  I just haven't gravitated that way yet as I'm not ready to invest the necessary time to retrain myself.  Maybe in the future, of course, but for now I love me my Mizuno's.