Photo
- - - - -

What are you passing down to your Children?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chefjeff

chefjeff
  • VibeTribe
  • 700 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

I am NO Parent what so ever but I was thinking of things my Mom and Dad passed on to me!

EX:

Just be Kind and respectful

Share with others

At one point in my neighborhood we had no fences (sp) We were all family. again share! One night you have a BBQ next the neighbor has a Fish fry

If you see someone in need Help them!

If you find a wallet on the ground you bring it to the Police station

My Mom was big on this one!!!!! Always hold the door for ANYONE!!!

This might seem 70's but it was how I lived. Just curios How you Modern Family's are dealing with social issues? We have so much to worry about! Social media......

Just asking. Thats all

Cheffrey

CupCake!

#2 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,569 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Mental illness.

#3 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,362 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Crumbs and around 100K in personal, national debt.

#4 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,324 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

I teach my children to stand up for the kid that gets picked on. They tell me all the time about how they stand up for kids. They have no use for bullies and feel a lot of compassion for kids going through tough times or that have to deal with tough situations.

The other day I overheard Jerry call one of his best friend's fathers to talk about his concern for her. She's been doing some self injurious behavior and not been making very good decisions, and he's been advising her, but he really felt like he needed to talk to the dad. I was really proud of him. 

#5 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

To be honest and strong and fun!

To love fully and openly!

To always try to do the right thing no matter how hard it is.

To take care of their bodies.

To not be wasteful.

To be kind to their surroundings and to always treat eachother with utmost respect.

To love.

and to ALWAYS ask questions.  The boogy man is around every corner and to not be afraid to face it and FUCK IT UP!  :lol:

How to be strong and outspoken and independent. 

To eat good food.

To tread lightly

~It's not only about "me"

I am also trying to instill in my children the idea of family, family family.  To marry for love, to raise kids with a spouse, to have family and how family is the most important thing.

To not be afraid to voice their opinions but realizing that not everyone will agree, and that THAT is OK!!  :) 

Be strong kids!  Keep it real!

Oh and to not worry~  Because ultimately, everything is OK.

I think I'm going to print this out for them.  :lol:  I love my kids.  I love me, I love my family.  <3

#6 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,371 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

to not believe everything they think.

that and kind, peaceful hearts :)

#7 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,451 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

herpes coldsores?

#8 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,187 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

I hope I am passing down:

To be kind to others, but not to the point where you lose yourself

That family is the most important

To question the status quo

To not be judgmental and understand that everyone has their own path to take - life is gray, not black & white

That Mother Earth will provide if we do not abuse her

To be grateful

All things in moderation

and that the best things in life aren't things

#9 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,451 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

Deoxyribonucleic acid?

#10 chefjeff

chefjeff
  • VibeTribe
  • 700 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Thanks everyone. Good things to think about. I was thinking about all I have in this world. If it was not for my Parents teaching of good values I would not be in the position I am today. They did great and I wish they were still around!!!! It might be time to give back. I may look into sponsering a Family who may not have everything I had when I was a kid. Im NOT starting a family at my age so maybe its time to give back in thoughts, smiles and $ to help them. I am going to reach out to the local folks for ideas.

Cheffrey

Keep the thoughts coming. I know there are more parents with good Ideas out there!

#11 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

That's a great idea.  <3

#12 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

Compassion towards others

Humility

Humour

Not to sweat the small stuff

How to make kick ass meatballs

#13 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

I only have a fetus at this point, but some thing I hope to pass on:

1)To never let anyone tell her she can't do something because she's a girl/it's not ladylike

2) to always say thank you to waiters and others working in service

3) to do things she wants to do even if she is scared to do them

4) the names of flowers and trees and birds

#14 syd_25

syd_25
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Ct

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Being the father of 2 girls I found this to be one of the if not the most important thing to instill.

Had he older one, when she was 5, say she could do something because she is a girl.  I quickly explained that is never the case unless we're talking about peeing standing up. :bouncey:

1)To never let anyone tell her she can't do something because she's a girl/it's not ladylike

#15 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

Good values

Kindness

Respect

Knowledge

Lots of things.  Love my little lady! :heart:

#16 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

to notice little things -- like the woodpecker searching for a meal as we walk through our neighborhood. or the way the clouds are streaming by on a windy day.  or the incredible colour of a rose (and what does the rose smell like?).  i guess to understand that the world is going on all around us and it is not all about humans. we are just a part of the world.  

that nobody is perfect -- not even parents.  everyone makes mistakes and it is not something to be ashamed of or embarrassed by. that the best thing to do is admit it, make amends if necessary and move forward.

to ask for help when needed.  help is good!  to offer help when someone else seems to need it.  help is good!