New EZ-UP / Canopy advice

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 LostsailorVT

LostsailorVT
  • VibeTribe
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

Hey now!  I'm thinking about getting a new ez-up / canopy for the upcoming festival season.  After seeing hundreds of these things destroyed and left behind in the aftermath of storms, I wanted to get some advice from seasoned veterans before making a purchase.  I imagine some brands are better than others.  Any thoughts?  Thanks...

#2 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

IMHO, for a decent one you're gonna throw down about $100. If it's way less than that.... well...    :shit:

And really, if there's some crazy shit wind, you're gonna lose it regardless. I have the EZ up brand, and it's pretty sturdy. 

#3 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

Spend a little extra money. Anything less than $120 is dubious, IMO. Get a straight-legged one (10 x 10). I have the semi-commercial EZ-Up brand one. Sturdier legs for the wind. Higher roof inside. And came w/ the sides, which I've used a few times to provide shelter from the rain at Vibes.  I forget what it cost, but it was definitely under $200 at BJs about 4 years back.  Definitely going to have a much longer life than the $80 Quick-up that I had previously (which cost much more once you added the extra sides).

#4 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,671 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

I have the coleman version and love it.  has lasted 3 festival seasons so far.

#5 IT_Buzz

IT_Buzz
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

I have the EZ-Up that I got 3 years ago at Ocean Lot for $100. Love it. It is sturdy, straight legged, and has kept the rain out thus far. I use it with a screen when I go camping in the Catskills and Adirondacks and it is great with keeping out the bugs. Two years ago, when the Vibes got that massive heat wave, I threw a tarp on the top while keeping the sides open to help block the Sun and it helped a lot with the heat. Issues: It is heavy, so if you need to drag it into the woods (WormTown, etc...), it will be a PITA. I bought a cheapo ($30) for those situations.

#6 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

3 - 6 mill poly drop cloths and some binder clips make cheap wind / rain screens.

#7 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,323 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Check auto parts stores before you go to any camping/outdoor stores.  You can get some really good deals on canopies.  I got a 10 x 10 QuikShade (EZ Up clone) for about $50 at either Auto Zone or Pep Boys and its lasted several years so far.  Its not too heavy and the storage bag has little wheels on one end which are great if you're packing in & out instead of car camping.

#8 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,679 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Ive had a quick shade, ez up, and other junk ones. They were all short lived. Maybe I use them to much?

The best one Ive ever owned is the one made by First Up. Going on 4 years and not a scratch to it.

http://www.walmart.c...-Canopy/8571900

They are heavy tho. But come with a nice bag with wheels. Will recommend to anyone.

#9 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

i scored a basic blue ez-up brand from kmart for $60 a few years ago.  no issues so far & seems pretty sturdy.

#10 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,973 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

I have several, but I think the coleman has the best performance / price ratio

#11 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,478 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Ive had a quick shade, ez up, and other junk ones. They were all short lived. Maybe I use them to much?

The best one Ive ever owned is the one made by First Up. Going on 4 years and not a scratch to it.

http://www.walmart.c...-Canopy/8571900

They are heavy tho. But come with a nice bag with wheels. Will recommend to anyone.

I bought this same one last year on sale for $49.99 +$30 for the walls

no complaints

#12 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,973 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

I have a 10 X 20, but it is not a pop up.  I found you need to get Dee 2.0 to help.   Having someone taller than me or Dee 2.0 would be a help too

#13 Sensei Miller

Sensei Miller
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

+1 For Coleman.  Mine has lasted through some pretty big storms...last year's Vibes being one of them.

Plus right now some "promo" packages are throwing in a free sun/privacy wall which typically costs an additional 30 bucks.

#14 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,973 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

I was lucky enough to get the coleman 10x10 with LED lighting for 70% off.   $60.00   whatadeal

#15 IT_Buzz

IT_Buzz
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

For privacy I like to use tapestries. As for lights, battery operated Christmas lights are the bee's knees. I also set up my wook trap...

#16 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

upside down sound activated swimming pool lights ftw a/k/a the Jack Straw light show :)

#17 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

We have 2 that I like from the FirstUp brand one 10'x10' and one 12'x12' (44 square feet bigger) and it's way heavy and needs extra tiedowns just to stiffen it up.  The 10' one even has a really cheap sides kit that works really well when the weather sucks. 

I have found the "straight leg" versions are much better, and last longer than those that have legs that go out at a slight angle... not to mention that if it's advertised as 10'x10' you only get an 8'x8' coverage from the top smaller top canopy.

Also make sure it has some kind of UV coating on the underside to keep the heat out. 

this> 0072700112191_500X500.jpg    and not >3541788_15833545_trimmed.jpg

Also NEVER use those silly little spikes thru the feet to hold it down... I really think they make them all that way just knowing any gust will trash it.

Get some light duty ratchet tie downs and some decent spikes to drive into the ground, and whatever you buy will last a lot longer.

C08019177a.jpg 0007650192209_500X500.jpg

#18 IT_Buzz

IT_Buzz
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

upside down sound activated swimming pool lights ftw a/k/a the Jack Straw light show :)

Is that your wook trap? If you can't catch 'em with a bear trap, then dazzle them with a light show until they wander off in a stupor empty-handed? :clap:

#19 bahhhoo

bahhhoo
  • VibeTribe
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

For $20 bucks you can get a stronger canopy from Family Dollar that will out live your EZ-Up. I've owned mine for 7 years now. It takes a little longer to setup with its metal poles, but will with stand a wind storm. Trust me, just get it.

http://www.familydol...and-garden.aspx

#20 TheOriginalSuburbanHillbilly

TheOriginalSuburbanHillbilly
  • VibeTribe
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:38 AM

I've used both the cheap ones and more expensive ones, but what I've found is that what really matters is how they are secured down. With wind gusts that typically pop-up at festies, especially coming off the sound at the Vibes, you want to make sure you tie down the ez ups with more than just the stakes that go in the feet. Also, we usually have a few ez ups next to each other and then a large tarp over the whole thing. Side tapestries for privacy and to block the sun too. Add on some Tibetan prayer flags and other decorations...

#21 Jerky

Jerky
  • VibeTribe
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Job Lot!!! for easy up and also tarps r way cheap.

#22 cassady

cassady

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 18,226 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

ok, this thread makes an appearance every year. this time, i'll chime in. we've used a combo of ez up and quest at space camp since around '06. the quests were on the cheap side, 10 X 10 with angled legs. the objective is securely tying them down. i also purchased a 60' X 30" tarp at job lot that covers 6 tarps set up in a row. we had no rain issues last year using this method. as i was taught many years ago, dry floor = happy campers.

#23 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

"the objective is securely tying them down"... and we have a WINNER!

#24 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

"the objective is securely tying them down"... and we have a WINNER!

Yes we do!

I agree completely that straight leg is the only way to go.  Bigger, stronger and much easier to integrate with other canopies without all the stupid angled legs getting in your way when stumbling around.

Also, Jim turned me on to the best way to secure them with the heavier stakes and ratchet straps he mentioned.  Doing it that way definitely makes it much, much more resistant to high winds.  Come by and check out how we do it. 

#25 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Yes we do!

I agree completely that straight leg is the only way to go.  Bigger, stronger and much easier to integrate with other canopies without all the stupid angled legs getting in your way when stumbling around.

Also, Jim turned me on to the best way to secure them with the heavier stakes and ratchet straps he mentioned.  Doing it that way definitely makes it much, much more resistant to high winds.  Come by and check out how we do it. 

given that my "bedroom" is a canopy tent, and given I don't want to one day wake up to find my walls gone, I've been thinking about going to this securement method... I still have the giant 6 inch spikes from West End, the only thing I'm unsure about is how do you attach the tiedown to the spike end without it slipping off?

#26 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,883 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

Come by and check out how we do it. 

I'll be checking out how yous do it.  :naughty:

#27 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

given that my "bedroom" is a canopy tent, and given I don't want to one day wake up to find my walls gone, I've been thinking about going to this securement method... I still have the giant 6 inch spikes from West End, the only thing I'm unsure about is how do you attach the tiedown to the spike end without it slipping off?

i'd have to see both the spike and the tiedown, but i would bet some bacon that at most it would take would be a little loop of some poly twine or parachute cord,  that is if the tiedown hooks were too big.  

#28 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

it's a standard six-inch landscaping spike:

ladnscapespikes.jpg

and I'm talking about the kinds of straps that Jim posted, I don't own any currently but I want to get some... so it would be hooks on either end connected by webbing with a ratchet for tightening... I've seen them used on several other boardies' camping setups and I think the hook was around the end of the webbing attached to it to make a loop but I wasn't sure I was remembering it properly

#29 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

unless you get some oversized tie downs, i think that should work without ant extra loops.

might need to lower the angle the spike gets hammered into the ground/sand.

if not a stong loop of cord should do it.

loop goes aound the spike and passes under itself , leaving a loop end for the hook and 2 loops around the spike.

as an alt. to the loop, some big ass washers that won't slip off the top of the spike would prolly work very good too.

#30 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

it's a standard six-inch landscaping spike:

ladnscapespikes.jpg

and I'm talking about the kinds of straps that Jim posted, I don't own any currently but I want to get some... so it would be hooks on either end connected by webbing with a ratchet for tightening... I've seen them used on several other boardies' camping setups and I think the hook was around the end of the webbing attached to it to make a loop but I wasn't sure I was remembering it properly

I just use big steel washers... from the same isle in HomeDepot.

#31 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

This size should work fine: 

s_duet_washer.jpg

#32 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,080 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

I like the ez ups with the angled legs...never lost them to the wind and they seem sturdier than the straight legs :dunno:

#33 Sensei Miller

Sensei Miller
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Bang those landscaping nails in at an angle (top angled toward outside of structure, bottom angled towards middle of structure) and that badboy ain't goin' nowhere.

#34 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,556 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Bingo!  Tabbooma has 5 or 6 of they and loves them, one man show to put up and take down :)

We have 2 that I like from the FirstUp brand one 10'x10' and one 12'x12' (44 square feet bigger) and it's way heavy and needs extra tiedowns just to stiffen it up.  The 10' one even has a really cheap sides kit that works really well when the weather sucks. 

I have found the "straight leg" versions are much better, and last longer than those that have legs that go out at a slight angle... not to mention that if it's advertised as 10'x10' you only get an 8'x8' coverage from the top smaller top canopy.

Also make sure it has some kind of UV coating on the underside to keep the heat out. 

this> 0072700112191_500X500.jpg    and not >3541788_15833545_trimmed.jpg

Also NEVER use those silly little spikes thru the feet to hold it down... I really think they make them all that way just knowing any gust will trash it.

Get some light duty ratchet tie downs and some decent spikes to drive into the ground, and whatever you buy will last a lot longer.

C08019177a.jpg 0007650192209_500X500.jpg

#35 IT_Buzz

IT_Buzz
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

Nails? I use those corkscrew type spikes to hold my EZ-Up down.

#36 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

those are great but one of the festivals I went to last year was in a place with very rocky (and possibly concretey) soil and those spikes were the only thing that could get into the ground

#37 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Jordan, Jim has washers welded (I think) to the spikes.  I haven't done that, but I do use the big fender washers.  I put the ratchet side of the strap down, toward the ground, and run the spike through the webbing loop to which the hooks are attached.  So the hook sort of lays on the ground while the spike passes through only the loop of webbing.  Am I explaining this clearly?

On top, I loop the strap all the way around the whole corner framework of the canopy, hooking it back on itself.  This forms a choker that spreads the load around the whole corner, making it very strong and not inclined to bend the frame.

I'll show you at SC.

#38 Jam Fan

Jam Fan
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

ez up advice:  there is a way to wedge 4 hula hoops into the canopy to keep the rain from collecting up there,

#39 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

and if you can't find, afford or just plain forget your tie downs - the taught line hitch can still be your friend.

i've been known to throw an extra turn in there ( step 2) if it's raining or expecting a strong wind. 

4.jpg

#40 LostsailorVT

LostsailorVT
  • VibeTribe
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for all the tips. It sounds like the straight leg canopies are the way to go.  I'm going to look around to see what I can find on sale between now and festival season. Sounds like the key is making sure they aren't going to fly away when the wind picks up.   Looking forward to seeing everybody soon.

#41 bigtoddy

bigtoddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

FWIW, I have a cheapy 10x10 quick shade slant leg for over 5 years now. I also have an ez up brand 10x10 straight leg that's coming up on season 4.  Its all about how you take care of your stuff, and how you tie it down when you're in the field.

#42 cassady

cassady

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 18,226 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

exactly.....

#43 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,657 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

ez up advice:  there is a way to wedge 4 hula hoops into the canopy to keep the rain from collecting up there,

that is an awesome idea! :clapping:

if there is a storm coming that promises high winds, your best bet is to NOT have all your sides down on your ez up

if they are down, your ez up is now prone to be a kite or an airborne sailboat

after many years of vending i found that the best thing if you are at ilcc- er, camping, and there is a MAJOR storm coming, is to drop the height of your ez up (drop the legs a few holes) and now wind cant get up under it and blow it up and away

took out a few leg sections of my booth at ilcc when a storm was coming

so the roof was just hovering over the tables with my merch on them

every booth around me got literally blown away but mine was unscathed

seeing multiple ez ups all in the air at once is kind of :shocked:

and yes, it is all about how you secure it down

stakes not at an angle is the mistake i see people make all the time

#44 gMONEY

gMONEY
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

ok, this thread makes an appearance every year. this time, i'll chime in. we've used a combo of ez up and quest at space camp since around '06. the quests were on the cheap side, 10 X 10 with angled legs. the objective is securely tying them down. i also purchased a 60' X 30" tarp at job lot that covers 6 tarps set up in a row. we had no rain issues last year using this method. as i was taught many years ago, dry floor = happy campers.

ya it would smells funny with wet carpet in their so we make sure to do it right the first time an secure the ez- ups good ..its allways better to use extra tie downs an make it solid :thumbsup:

#45 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

and don't forget the gutters :)

#46 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,973 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

those noodle things for swimming pools work also...

#47 IT_Buzz

IT_Buzz
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

Only on the Vibes boards can ya find a 40 + response to "Canopy Advice". :funmeter2:

#48 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Only on the Vibes boards can ya find a 40 + response to "Canopy Advice". :funmeter2:

:lol:  No kidding.  A helluva lot of collective experience here.

#49 gMONEY

gMONEY
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

thats cuzz most of us lost many A ez-up at the last year at ILCC ;)

#50 IT_Buzz

IT_Buzz
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

thats cuzz most of us lost many A ez-up at the last year at ILCC ;)

Truth be told, nothing beats people's experience. It's why I love these boards! :impaled: