• 18,800 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

God Hates (gas soaked) Rags

#4 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

Does this seem passive-aggressive to anyone else?

#5 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,566 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

Does this seem passive-aggressive to anyone else?

no.  his actions agree with his words, so no

#6 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

"Passive-aggressive behavior is a category of interpersonal interactions characterised by an obstructionist or hostile manner that indicates aggression, or, in more general terms, expressing aggression in non-assertive, subtle (that is, passive or indirect) ways.

Painting a house rainbow colors seems to qualify as a subtle way to give the ol' fuck you to their across-the-street neighbors in a non-assertive way.

thoughts?

#7 Not_Sure

Not_Sure
  • VibeTribe
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

I'm not sure.

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,562 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

Pissing contests, cock fights, etc not my thing.  If however the homeowner truly wanted their house the color of the rainbow, then good for them.

#9 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,533 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Seems more like nonviolent protest than passive aggressive. There is nothing passive about nonviolent protest, it is fully active. 

#10 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,764 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

"Passive-aggressive behavior is a category of interpersonal interactions characterised by an obstructionist or hostile manner that indicates aggression, or, in more general terms, expressing aggression in non-assertive, subtle (that is, passive or indirect) ways.

Painting a house rainbow colors seems to qualify as a subtle way to give the ol' fuck you to their across-the-street neighbors in a non-assertive way.

thoughts?

I'd call it an assertive, in-your-face way of giving the ol' fuck you to the assholes across the street. The question remains, will the lawyers behind WBC sue for damages, specifically reduced property value because of the garishly painted house?

#11 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,747 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

I'd call it an assertive, in-your-face way of giving the ol' fuck you to the assholes across the street. The question remains, will the lawyers behind WBC sue for damages, specifically reduced property value because of the garishly painted house?

I wondered that myself.

There's another case of a guy (a veteran, if I remember) who got told he couldn't hang an American flag on his house because of neighborhood covenants, so he painted his house like a flag. I think he mentioned the same concern about his neighbors possibly suing...

And IMHO, I don't think it's garish - I think it's quite pretty :bananatiedye:

#12 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,764 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

There was a guy on my street who had a feud with his neighbors. He painted his house pink with black polka dots. Eventually he painted it over, and then just let the property get overgrown.

#13 Luvsdaizies

Luvsdaizies

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Pissing contests, cock fights, etc not my thing.  If however the homeowner truly wanted their house the color of the rainbow, then good for them.

As the story goes - he found out the house across the street was for sale and bought it JUST to do this...

an excerpt from the story:

Aaron Jackson, a humanitarian who helped found Planting Peace, a charity that has in the past assisted orphanages, rainforests and helped with deworming programs, bought a house located across from the church six months ago for $83,000.

“The idea came right away when I saw the house for sale,” said Jackson. “I was like, ‘I’m going to turn it into an Equality House, and I’m going to paint it the color of the Pride flag.”

Jackson said he wanted to paint the house as a not-so-subtle message to counter the anti-gay agenda of Westboro Baptist Church across the street.  Church members are known for protesting the funerals of American soldiers. A huge banner outside the church reads “God hates America.”

#14 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,415 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

I don't believe you can unless there is a city code restricting home exterior colors, siding material, etc.

In Cooperstown, NY there are all sorts of codes restricting and mandating house exterior to try to maintain a level of perception about the town.  Probably 7 or 8 years ago a couple people figured out that there were no restrictions on color so they painted their houses all kinds of crazy pastels in spite of the village and their overwhelming desire to manage everyone to their standards.  there are now color restrictions for home exteriors in the village codes.

#15 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,764 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

lierbal nannystate'd

#16 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,637 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

There was a gay wedding across the street from the Westboro Baptist Church over the weekend

Read more at http://www.philly.co...IWPeTOeBUm2X.99

Screen+shot+2013-06-24+at+9.58.18+AM.png

Kimberly Kidwell and Katie Short held a wedding ceremony 50 feet from the Westboro Baptist Church on Saturday. The couple traveled from just north of Little Rock, Arkansas to get married (even though Kansas won't recognize their marriage).

In a beautiful ceremony against a rainbow-painted backdrop, the Westboro Baptist Church bore witness to its very first gay wedding ceremony Saturday.

Perched approximately 50 feet from the church's front doors, Kimberly Kidwell and Katie Short exchanged vows in an outdoor ceremony in Topeka, Kan.

Approximately 100 guests turned out to witness the ceremony, which was held at Planting Peace's Equality House, the rainbow-painted building across the street from WBC.

Of course, the members of the Westboro Baptist Church protested the event with their typical signage and Twitter vitriol.

As for the WBC members, the often obscenely vocal arch nemeses of all things homosexual, they made their presence known with signs bearing vile messages and upside-down American flags, Jackson said. But otherwise they kept their distance and didn't get involved.

"They're not allowed to protest a residential property," Jackson reminded.

Responding at length to the scene on Twitter instead, WBC called the wedding a "great preaching opportunity," in so many extra words

#17 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,698 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

I support this fully.  Fuck WBC.  If they can troll funerals with their intolerance and bigotry, then it's open season trolling them.  Pricks.

#18 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

I don't know, using your wedding day to troll a bunch of assholes seems pretty douchey and leaves the impression the couple cares more about sticking it to the WBC than they do about the actual "marriage" thing. 

#19 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,930 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

I think people use their wedding day for lots of statements, some about their lifestyle, some about each other.   Whether it is getting married while SCUBA diving, or jumping out of a plane, or standing by a river @ Strangecreek.  Would you say that those people care more about SCUBA than their actual "marriage" thing?

#20 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,747 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

I don't know, using your wedding day to troll a bunch of assholes seems pretty douchey and leaves the impression the couple cares more about sticking it to the WBC than they do about the actual "marriage" thing. 

I see it as killing two birds with one stone:

1. Getting married

2. _____________(Insert passion or interest, such as rock climbing, scuba, music, legos, political statement)

I got married on a mountaintop, and I made my guests hike a half a mile in (yep, I did too, in a bigass wedding dress!) I wanted to feel that feeling when I'm on a mountain, and I wanted my friends and family to, as well. Does that mean I cared more about the mountain? (Hindsight being, I probably shouldn't answer that!!! :P )

#21 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

I can understand the scuba, plane, mountain things etc... but this seems to have been done just to say fuck you to the WBC (and I can even see that to a certain point) rather than celebrating something they love. Hell, even the place they chose to have it at was built as a big fuck you to WBC. 

Why stoop to the levAl of such a hateful group on what is supposed to be a joyous day?

I just think that, in a way, it demeans the whole marriage ceremony when it's being done out of spite.

#22 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,930 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

I can understand the scuba, plane, mountain things etc... but this seems to have been done just to say fuck you to the WBC (and I can even see that to a certain point) rather than celebrating something they love. Hell, even the place they chose to have it at was built as a big fuck you to WBC. 

Why stoop to the levAl of such a hateful group on what is supposed to be a joyous day?

I just think that, in a way, it demeans the whole marriage ceremony when it's being done out of spite.

Jack may be coming around.  He didn't quote marriage in this last post.   :rolling:

#23 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,747 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

Perhaps that's just your interpretation of it. Was it done to make a statement? absolutely. Was it done maliciously or out of spite? I don't think so at all. I don't think they were stooping to a level of hate.

You don't necessarily understand the depths of their passion towards a cause either - no one could unless it directly affected them (any sort of equal rights throughout the years). I can't imagine the women's suffrage or black/white dilemma, because it never affected me. Empathy, yeah, but true understanding, no. So IMHO, don't judge someone else so harshly for a cause they passionately believe in, because you don't feel as deeply about it as they do.

#24 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Jack may be coming around.  He didn't quote marriage in this last post.   :rolling:

Shit I think I might have caught the ghey   :one:

#25 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,930 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

Shit I think I might have caught the ghey   :one:

:rolling:  

Starts with a pounding in the butt...

#26 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

Perhaps that's just your interpretation of it. Was it done to make a statement? absolutely. Was it done maliciously or out of spite? I don't think so at all. I don't think they were stooping to a level of hate.

You don't necessarily understand the depths of their passion towards a cause either - no one could unless it directly affected them (any sort of equal rights throughout the years). I can't imagine the women's suffrage or black/white dilemma, because it never affected me. Empathy, yeah, but true understanding, no. So IMHO, don't judge someone else so harshly for a cause they passionately believe in, because you don't feel as deeply about it as they do.

Without a doubt it's just my interpretation. I just don't see any other reason for them to travel out of their own state, to that specific location in order to have a ceremony that wouldn't be legally recognized in either the state it was performed in or the state they live in.

#27 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,930 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

people travel thousands of miles to see a french fry that looks like Elvis.  This seem light....

#28 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,363 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Where is there a french fry that looks like Elvis?   

#29 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,930 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

Where is there a french fry that looks like Elvis?   

theDHJ found 7 more, and well...  They are in a place that doesn't get a lot of sunshine.  :rolling:

#30 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,930 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

http://jeromiewillia...en-or-jay-leno/

#31 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

people travel thousands of miles to see a french fry that looks like Elvis.  This seem light....

I'm sorry but I just can't pass judgement on them without knowing whether it's thick cut, shoe string or crinkled Elvis   :confused1:  

#32 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,363 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

http://jeromiewillia...en-or-jay-leno/

Really?   I don't see anyone, except maybe NH's old man in the mountain with a pompadoo.