Vibes lineup 2013..yay or nay?

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#101 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

Hah, next to MAYBE Phil and Friends, I think the Original Strangefolk has more lyrical, instrumental, and variety of genre within the band than ANY other band at Vibes.  More room for me on the lawn >:)

tumblr_m3bduzqGzR1rsawgno1_500.gif

:)

#102 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,800 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Kung Fu's got your late night covered.

While I enjoy what they do they play in Albany about every 3 months.  not something that is going to get me super excited as I can see them all the time.

#103 yem1980

yem1980
  • VibeTribe
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

Phil's friends are the biggest draw, but this lineup is really missing some edginess.  

I'd guess Roots get Sunday closing shift, and Crowes and TTB get second billing before Phil on Fri and Sat. Maybe sticking DSO and Galactic on Thurs.  So with the 5/7 prime slots filled, there isn't really room for a big name to carry Les's freak flag, right?  I want to think there will be one bigger alternative band, but I'm not sure the TBA has any prime slots left to dole out.  

First choice is Les, if not, maybe Pixies, Malkmus, Atoms for Peace, or Built to Spill are available.  

Also I'm partial to TLG so I'd put that on my wish list to round out the current innovators in jambandland

#104 Kuzsin

Kuzsin
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

.....needs some stuff like motet's funk is dead and albino! from California..... I agree that the lineup is good, it's just not creative.......but there are reasons for this....I just don't want to bring them up :protest:  and kill another thread..... :angel: ....

#105 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

While I enjoy what they do they play in Albany about every 3 months.  not something that is going to get me super excited as I can see them all the time.

that isnt very heady at all, as they are simply one of the best musical acts out there.  pshaw

#106 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Camp Bisco > every other fest this year.  Sorry, but the Biscuits fucking DELIVERED this year!  

tDB + UM + STS9 + Lotus =  :thumbsup:

#107 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

480314_485928204795651_2080780774_n.jpg

#108 Kuzsin

Kuzsin
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Camp Bisco > every other fest this year.  Sorry, but MeatCamp fucking DELIVERED this year!  

....fx'd

#109 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

:lmao:  chris

Folks can complain about Phil being a major double act this year but your all forgetting this is Vibes and Vibes was created to Honor what we had when the Dead were touring.

For us all to get together in that spirit and spend some time with each other.

If ya all, want to unsk it up go French Molly and dance with her in silence on the beach while i flash a flashlight in your face.

#110 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

NAY

#111 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,800 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Camp Bisco > every other fest this year.  Sorry, but the Biscuits fucking DELIVERED this year!  

tdb, Um, Lotus, Tribe, animal collective, squarepusher, nadis warriors, toro Y moi, .  shit if going to be so off the chain.    and tons of other stuff that is new to me.  

I obviously don't expect to vibes to have the same lineup but damn that shit is going to be hot.  :pimp:

Vibes I do get people I don't get at Camp though.  of course I have turned Teo to the Dark Side :pimp: 

#112 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

I actually am psyched Kungfu are playing late night i have yet to get to see them.

#113 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,175 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Vibes I do get people I don't get at Camp though.  of course I have turned Teo to the Dark Side :gregoir:

Hoping so spend some time on the dark side again this year.

#114 VSCT

VSCT
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

I actually am psyched Kungfu are playing late night i have yet to get to see them.

:funmeter2:

#115 Kuzsin

Kuzsin
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

If ya all, want to unsk it up go French Molly and dance with her in silence on the beach while i flash a flashlight in your face.

............A+...........

#116 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,147 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

:lmao:  chris

Folks can complain about Phil being a major double act this year but your all forgetting this is Vibes and Vibes was created to Honor what we had when the Dead were touring.

For us all to get together in that spirit and spend some time with each other.

yes indeedie-do

#117 Stanimal

Stanimal
  • VibeTribe
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Had my peachfest buddies change their tune and are back with us...yay

Thats Right BEEEOOTTCH! :clap:

#118 Tad Dense

Tad Dense
  • VibeTribe
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

Thats Right BEEEOOTTCH! :clap:

Hmmmph.  nice potty-mouth

...jerk :nulo:

just kidding. just trying to over inflate my boardie status by posting useless posts (padding my post totals yo!) 

#119 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

GUNG Ho is all I can say.  That tune is like being punched in the face repeatedly, but in the best way possible.

#120 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,549 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

GUNG Ho is all I can say.  That tune is like being punched in the face repeatedly, but in the best way possible.

with a pen1s

#121 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,001 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:40 AM

Tell me what you want me to do.

#122 yem1980

yem1980
  • VibeTribe
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

Oh just had a good idea for a TBA

Ghosts of Jupiter the newish name for Nate Wilson Group.  They put the pedal to the metal and would shred the green vibes.  They also have New England jamband cred out the wahzoo

#123 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,800 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:10 AM

Yeah Kung Fu is great they were also awesome when they were called Soulive.

#124 Goodvibrations2013

Goodvibrations2013
  • VibeTribe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWest Haven , CT.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

I suppose The Rolling Stones are one of the TBA.

Otherwise, Whoo-hoo!   :dance:

:afro:

#125 bigtoddy

bigtoddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Phil's band is awesome, the rest of the lineup is very vanilla, although somehow its managed to be different from the other major's this year, for good or bad. I still don't understand how people pay $250+ for ticket to these things, but that's commentary on all the major's not just this one.

#126 Ahmet Adoudi

Ahmet Adoudi
  • VibeTribe
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Assembly of Dust is a good time for Adoudi.

#127 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,111 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'd guess Roots get Sunday closing shift, and Crowes and TTB get second billing before Phil on Fri and Sat. Maybe sticking DSO and Galactic on Thurs.

I don't think Tedeschi Trucks Bank will play right before Phil Lesh. When Derek Trucks played it was the middle of the day. 2 years ago when TTB played, it was the middle of the day. However, I'd be shocked if DSO didn't headline Thursday.

And, who am I confusing Galactic with? Didn't they play late night a couple of years ago? Wasn't it some sort of dubstep?

Gregoir, while you get the see Kung Fu whenever you want, that might not be the case for everybody who comes to this festival? Did you ever think of that?

#128 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,001 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

I think Galactic played late afternoon on that really hot Saturday.

#129 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,730 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Early bird'd.

$185.

Phil's band is awesome, the rest of the lineup is very vanilla, although somehow its managed to be different from the other major's this year, for good or bad. I still don't understand how people pay $250+ for ticket to these things, but that's commentary on all the major's not just this one.

#130 deadphan

deadphan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

That pretty much sums up the lineup for me on a whole. I've seen Kung Fu 4 times in like 6 months and haven't traveled at all. I enjoy this lineup, there's some stuff I definitely dig. But I think I've literally seen almost every band on the lineup, and many of them multiple times. I would like something FRESH. Out of the first 16 bands listed the only ones I haven't seen are Funky Meters (I've seen multiple Porter/Batiste/Stoltz and Ivan Neville shows though) and John Butler Trio. Would love to see like Jack White, Black Keys, Paul Simon, Ryan Adams, Wilco, basically something that I can't see at every other jamband fest. I thought it was really badass of Vibes to go out on a limb that one year and have Jane's Addiction and Elvis Costello and then Furthur the other night a few years back. I love Dead music and I love jambands, but there's more to music than that. I'll most likely be at Vibes this year.

#131 jhenri23

jhenri23
  • VibeTribe
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

Overall i like the lineup  but really really really hoping they add The Avett Brothers, they killed it last year and are playing every other festival. Edward Sharpe would fit in nicely as well, or Gary Clark Jr

#132 yem1980

yem1980
  • VibeTribe
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

I don't think Tedeschi Trucks Bank will play right before Phil Lesh. When Derek Trucks played it was the middle of the day. 2 years ago when TTB played, it was the middle of the day. However, I'd be shocked if DSO didn't headline Thursday.

And, who am I confusing Galactic with? Didn't they play late night a couple of years ago? Wasn't it some sort of dubstep?

Gregoir, while you get the see Kung Fu whenever you want, that might not be the case for everybody who comes to this festival? Did you ever think of that?

Yeah, I could see TTB with an earlier afternoon set.  Grace Potter also seems like a daytime act.  So maybe there is space for another big name.  

I do think Roots will be the Sunday set.  Its a good draw for Ct residents. 

Galactic are New Orleans Funk fronted by a bari sax and with Stanton Moore on drums.  They tour pretty constantly and have been blending elements of hip hop and a bit of metal into their core sound.  Not sure when they last played Vibes, but I could see them as a Thursday co-bill.  They'll be a good draw, but folks who can't make it won't be too disappointed cause they will be back soon.

#133 fin_fang_foom

fin_fang_foom
  • VibeTribe
  • 549 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

For my tastes, I think the lineup is a little dull.  Phil's friends look great, and man '02 was sick for two nights (but that was the 'Q'), but I think I would have preferred something edgy for the Saturday night headliner. 

I tend to get burned out on what I would call the afternoon setters (Grace, TTB, AOD, Ryan Montbleu, Strangefolk, RRE etc).  I believe my tastes are just changing, and I understand that the Vibes needs to cater to a certain style, but I found myself digging most of the non-Dead related bands last year.  It's almost like the Vibes isn't the best festival for me anymore (I've been to 11), but I wouldn't miss it for the world because of the people I get to hang with.

I'll probably take it like last year - stay up for the latenight fun, and sleep through the daytime stuff.  Vocal jams with Occifer Boland and such.  My favs on the list are (in no particluar order):

Phil

DSO

Galactic

Fishbone

Papadosio

King Fu

Man I wish Twiddle was playing again - I really like their style, and I could see Tea Leaf Green every year.  I hope DBB does something to spice up their setlist, because I have been bored the last two years with their set.

That is all.

#134 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

okay i have not looked but kung fu is soulive?

Is Krasno in that band or is it some of the horns that play with soulive.

Like i said never seen them and never heard them.

I like to go see the big buzz bands live for the 1st time so i have no clue who is in the group.

#135 fin_fang_foom

fin_fang_foom
  • VibeTribe
  • 549 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

I like to go see the big buzz bands live for the 1st time so i have no clue who is in the group.

No, they're not Soulive.  Gregoir being his usual cheeky self.

Tim Palmieri (Pyschedelic Breakfast) is lead guitar

Todd Stoopes (RAQ) is keyboards.

They are both outstanding musicians and the music is more rock/jazz fusion more  than anything in my opinion.

#136 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

Just looked it up thanks.

I am hoping some electric Hot Tuna gets added to Vibes but i know that will just send Gregoir off on an old persons music rant. :lol:

#137 gMONEY

gMONEY
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

i like to know more about this santana tribute ???? :dunno:

#138 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,800 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Yeah Galactic is totally dubstep :rolling:

And last I checked most people that attend Vibes are from the Northeast.  Where is Kung Fu from and tours all over all the time?  hmmmmm the southwest yeah that's it.  :pimp:  

#139 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,800 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Sorry Tony I was just being an ass :rolling:  I actually stole that joke from Megmyster :pimp:

#140 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,111 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Yeah Galactic is totally dubstep :rolling:

Whoever I'm thinking of... They were terrible :lol:

#141 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

I think you are thinking of big gigantic?

#142 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

I understand people saying they need something fresh, but I don't go to major music festivals to see the newest most cutting edge music out there, I go to see established artists that I really like... I see fresh music at the smaller ones, yes out there among the third tier jam bands there is some really exciting and original music... a lot of people out there don't see nearly as much live music as many of us here do, so for a lot of people this is all fresh and exciting music (or music that means a lot to them like Phil & Friends)...

#143 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

No sweat bro........I know how it is you like to rag like me. :lol:

Maybe this should be my year to suck face with Molly and cut loose to the Unsk sets.

I wanna passifier and some glow sticks yo!!!

#144 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,800 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Most likely big g. Not really dub step but they def bring the whomps and wobbles. I'm not a big fan of them either

#145 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

Yup.............they were the Big Gigantic Suck in my book.

#146 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,111 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

I think you are thinking of big gigantic?

THAT's the one.

#147 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,111 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Also, I had somewhat high hopes for Dumpstaphunk. I was disappointed.

#148 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,730 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Put it in her Dumpstah.    :bowl:

:

#149 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,800 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Also, I had somewhat high hopes for Dumpstaphunk. I was disappointed.

they are alright the 100 degree heat may have decreased enjoyment. 

#150 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

It is unlikely I would attend anyway, but all the bands are in that Jamband festival wheelhouse and the ones that are not are not all that surprising.  The only real draws for me I could see in Boston for about $20.  

I know it is about the "vibe", but if there were a group of up and coming bands from the past few years I would be more likely to attend for the price.  As it is the most innovative bands here are about 10 years old, I know that is not entirely true, but nothing is compelling me to go to Bridgeport.