Photo

Anyone remember Oriental Luau in Old Tappan?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,935 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.../s400/tiki1.bmp

#2 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

Yep I remember that place from back in the 80's. Old tappan use to be completely different back then. It's crazy how over crowded the town became.

#3 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

my new hood.

Ana's pediatrician is right up on Old Tappan Road.

That shopping center with the Blockbuster and Starbucks is a clusterfuck. :beer:

#4 phishNtrips

phishNtrips
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

shit was tits.

#5 phishNtrips

phishNtrips
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

Is Khan's Mongolian Garden still around?

#6 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,750 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:58 PM

my new hood.

Ana's pediatrician is right up on Old Tappan Road.

That shopping center with the Blockbuster and Starbucks is a clusterfuck. :beer:

But the sushi place in that shopping center is good!

My office is across the street :) (although I work from home in Illinois)

#7 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,935 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

Is Khan's Mongolian Garden still around?

In Bardonia? As far as I know.

#8 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:15 PM

Khan's in Orangeburg/Blauvelt on 303.. yes, def still around. i pass it everyday. I've been meaning to hit that place up, but Lisa would prefer Lanie Lou's cafe right up the block (across the street from Bailey's)

spekaing of Bailey's... the Pitmaster there, Fink isn't there anymore and the BBQ isn't nearly as good. but he;'s got a new place in Pearl River.. Johnny's where Adagio used to be. Adagio was an Accamundo joint, he split with the other owner, and it became Danny's. Danny's became Johnny's and that's that.

Now there's an Accamundo joint in Haverstraw called Antoine McQuire's French bistro meets Irish pub. people RAVE about the place. Next time you are around, if you wanna hit that place up, I'd love to.

#9 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

But the sushi place in that shopping center is good!

My office is across the street :) (although I work from home in Illinois)

excellent, I'll have to give it a try. I may kill someone in the parking lot, though.

#10 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,935 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

Wasn't there a place called Bully Boy once upon a time?

#11 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

Wasn't there a place called Bully Boy once upon a time?

Now Resturant X, and Bully Boy Bar. for me, it's best place in Rockland. a Peter Kelly Joint. Peter Kelly he beat Bobby Flay in Iron Chef, and was on No Reservations' Hudson Valley episode, at Xaviars X2O in Yonkers. that was fun.. Bourdain and Bill Murray. :lol:

http://www.xaviars.com/index.html

I was at X for Hudsion Valley Rest. week. I had lobster and truffle risotto, Capt. Lawrence braised short ribs with Cheddar grits and fried brussel sprouts and a vanilla bean pannacotta with Strawberry compote. FUCK YEAH.

the Sunday Brunch is a glutton's delight.

#12 phishNtrips

phishNtrips
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

Khan's in Orangeburg/Blauvelt on 303.. yes, def still around. i pass it everyday. I've been meaning to hit that place up, but Lisa would prefer Lanie Lou's cafe right up the block (across the street from Bailey's)

spekaing of Bailey's... the Pitmaster there, Fink isn't there anymore and the BBQ isn't nearly as good. but he;'s got a new place in Pearl River.. Johnny's where Adagio used to be. Adagio was an Accamundo joint, he split with the other owner, and it became Danny's. Danny's became Johnny's and that's that.

Now there's an Accamundo joint in Haverstraw called Antoine McQuire's French bistro meets Irish pub. people RAVE about the place. Next time you are around, if you wanna hit that place up, I'd love to.

Definitely need to hit that place up, and your place as well. i need to check out the new digs.

#13 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

My door is open, brother. Let me know when you are going to be up. my summer social calendar is limited with the adjustment to the baby budget, and lisa not working for several months leading into the summer. SO... with that said, there's an open invitation to cook and drink. I've been telling everyone "you bring it, we smoke it" :lol:

another strange twist of ownership.. Martino's (Haverstraw butcher) is still Martino's but Martino called it quits (after what seems like 350 years).

The guys that own Bailey's now own Martino's.

#14 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,935 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

Martio's pizza?

#15 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

in Nanuet.. one of my favorites. Brick oven w/ Sausage & Pepperoni.. small pitcher of Hieneken. :beer:

the Nanuet Hotel, and the Nanuet Restaurant are still kicking as well. I do not care for their styles of pizza. I'm a Martio's guy.

#16 phishNtrips

phishNtrips
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

Love the motto. :lol:

Yeah you would have thought Martino would have retired back when we were in high school. I can't believe he held out that long, but I'm glad someone has chosen to keep that relic going. There is nothing like walking into an old school butcher shop for some choice cuts.

#17 sneakyjack

sneakyjack
  • VibeTribe
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

Up to the top of the post (TIKI) Tappan.
Go down a bit to Chan's or Lee's Hawaiian Islander for good drinks and such!
Chans is near the GWB down the palisades..
:one:

#18 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

in Nanuet.. one of my favorites. Brick oven w/ Sausage & Pepperoni.. small pitcher of Hieneken. :beer:

the Nanuet Hotel, and the Nanuet Restaurant are still kicking as well. I do not care for their styles of pizza. I'm a Martio's guy.

I like Nanuet hotel pizza - but Pie man rocks it!!! :Phishfolk:

#19 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

I take the Hotel over Restaurant. and the Hotel's Irish fare is quite good.

Pie Man ain't the same Pie Man anymore.

Pie Man Cottage there now.. I believe it's now owned by a NR grad, and her husband. will report back.

#20 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,388 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:47 PM

Notable current and former residents of Old Tappan include:
  • Joe Benigno (born 1953), sports radio personality on WFAN.<SUP id=cite_ref-28 class=reference>[29]</SUP>
  • Al Di Meola (born 1954), jazz fusion guitarist.<SUP id=cite_ref-29 class=reference>[30]</SUP>
  • Vincent "The Chin" Gigante (1928–2005), a New York mobster who headed the Genovese crime family.<SUP id=cite_ref-30 class=reference>[31]</SUP>
  • Jon Hensley (born 1965) and Kelley Menighan Hensley (born 1967), husband and wife actors who had appeared together on the daytime soap opera As the World Turns.<SUP id=cite_ref-31 class=reference>[32]</SUP>
  • Robert A. Lewis (1918–1983), co-pilot of the Enola Gay.<SUP id=cite_ref-32 class=reference>[33]</SUP>
  • Jeffrey Maier (born 1984), best known as the young fan who deflected a ball in play during Game 1 of the 1996 American League Championship Series between the New York Yankees and the Baltimore Orioles.<SUP id=cite_ref-33 class=reference>[34]</SUP>
  • Kenyon Martin (born 1977), professional basketball player for the Denver Nuggets.<SUP id=cite_ref-34 class=reference>[35]</SUP>
  • 50 Cent (born 1975) aka Curtis James Jackson III, Rapper<SUP style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" class=Template-Fact title="This claim needs references to reliable sources from January 2009">[citation needed]</SUP>
  • R. Sundarrajan, Indian director, actor and writer for Tamil language films

#21 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,326 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

There's a Lee's Hawaiian Islander in Lyndhurst...although the food and drinks may be good I had a friend that did HVAC there...and well I won't eat there anymore :( I used to love those little pork things wrapped in tin foil.

#22 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,935 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

It's all about Chan's Dragon Inn...

#23 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:15 AM

I take the Hotel over Restaurant. and the Hotel's Irish fare is quite good.

Pie Man ain't the same Pie Man anymore.

Pie Man Cottage there now.. I believe it's now owned by a NR grad, and her husband. will report back.

Really? This makes me sad. Well a least Fiesta Cancun is sill going strong! :jamguy:

#24 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

Up to the top of the post (TIKI) Tappan.
Go down a bit to Chan's or Lee's Hawaiian Islander for good drinks and such!
Chans is near the GWB down the palisades..
:one:

chan's was in paramus and has been gone for years. its now chakra. holy shit the mai tai's were off the fucking hook there. i lived close enough to walk. :mrgreen:

#25 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

Well a least Fiesta Cancun is sill going strong! :jamguy:

not that I'm aware of.. there is a new joint operating where fiesta used to be. My brother says the drinking's good when you want that kinda thing, but the food is not upto Fiesta quality. I'll get more info this weekend from him or Big Murph.

for the classic Fiesta you need to come to Orangeburg and got to Fiesta Mexico. it's the same menu as Cancun was forever.

#26 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,935 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

chan's was in paramus and has been gone for years. its now chakra. holy shit the mai tai's were off the fucking hook there. i lived close enough to walk. :mrgreen:

I'm sorry, it's in Ridgefield, and is still alive and well in its original form.

http://www.yelp.com/...-inn-ridgefield

http://media4.px.yel...m14Y1AMCNSYMg/l

#27 sneakyjack

sneakyjack
  • VibeTribe
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

Chans is awesome, great food, drink, atmosphere and people working there. And yes it's still there in Ridgefield mins from the GWB.

DHJ in reference to your avitar - you a fan of Vinnie and Jimmy? I got some ink done there a bit a ago - those guys are funny as hell when they get together. :Phishfolk:

#28 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,935 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

Chans is awesome, great food, drink, atmosphere and people working there. And yes it's still there in Ridgefield mins from the GWB.

DHJ in reference to your avitar - you a fan of Vinnie and Jimmy? I got some ink done there a bit a ago - those guys are funny as hell when they get together. :Phishfolk:

:lol: I'm old school NYHC. I know those two fools from back in the day. I got this at the shop back in January when I was in town:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,423 posts
  • LocationA peaceful place, or so it looks from space

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

Wow! What a difference Rt 59 makes. I grew up on the OTHER end of Rockland with the likes of Mt Fugi and U-Me Sushi. :D
I'm sad that one of the other reasons I return to Rockland, Three Boys from Italy is gone :cry:
I used to LOVE Nanuet Pizza. But Kinchly's in Jersey was closer to me :wink:

#30 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

not that I'm aware of.. there is a new joint operating where fiesta used to be. My brother says the drinking's good when you want that kinda thing, but the food is not upto Fiesta quality. I'll get more info this weekend from him or Big Murph.

for the classic Fiesta you need to come to Orangeburg and got to Fiesta Mexico. it's the same menu as Cancun was forever.

REALLY?!?! :cry1: Rockland is just going to hell :lol: Didn't care about the drinking, LOVED their mexican. Fiesta mexico is close but not quite as good. Had my bachelorette there b/c cancun was burned down at the time

#31 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,935 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

Mexican in Rockland sucks...now that I live in the SW.

#32 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:56 PM

I used to LOVE Nanuet Pizza. But Kinchly's in Jersey was closer to me :wink:

I've got Kinchley;s east 9as some refer to it) The Mountain House, right across the street.

REALLY?!?! :cry1: Rockland is just going to hell :lol: Didn't care about the drinking, LOVED their mexican. Fiesta mexico is close but not quite as good. Had my bachelorette there b/c cancun was burned down at the time

yeah, stony point in particular is nothing like it was a couple years ago even.

#33 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,935 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

Anyone hit Caffeine Jones or Che's Rebellion? Those were my hangouts...

#34 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

which one was Jones? broadway in Nyack or main street in New City?

#35 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:27 PM

well, yes.

#36 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,935 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

which one was Jones? broadway in Nyack or main street in New City?

Jones was next to Shop Rite in New City, Che's was in Nyack...

#37 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

HA.. tells you wtf I was doing before coffee. yeah I hung at both of them for a bit.

#38 phishNtrips

phishNtrips
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:03 PM

used to rage C.J. all the time with Danny Paccione and Chris Heffernan almost nightly. When it was late in the evening we'd step outside and roll ourselves a j.

#39 phishNtrips

phishNtrips
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:05 PM

also, it seems like every time I go home I leave wishing I'd never have to go back even though what I'm going home to really isn't my cup of tea either.

#40 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

Find your city, find yourself a city to live in....

#41 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,935 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

HA.. tells you wtf I was doing before coffee. yeah I hung at both of them for a bit.

used to rage C.J. all the time with Danny Paccione and Chris Heffernan almost nightly. When it was late in the evening we'd step outside and roll ourselves a j.

:lol: I totally have hung out with you, Ed. I used to do poetry nights at CJ. Remember the Egyptian dude who was the coffee slinger? "Schtep up to ze bar and buy something."

There was once a guy who came to CJ for poetry night...his poem was called "The World is a Cunt". I'll never forget it.

I totally knew Heffernan....how about Royce Ramos?

#42 Pete99

Pete99
  • VibeTribe
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

Anyone hit Caffeine Jones or Che's Rebellion? Those were my hangouts...

I found both around the same time in 1994. Che's Rebellion was great because it was a dark, smoky coffee shop that served beer (or a dark, smoky bar where people drank coffee). It was a great place to camp out and play chess.

Caffeine Jones was a lot of fun. I once -- and only once -- read a poem there, something messy I wrote in a college writing class. Halfway through, I concluded it was awful, and the audience accordingly was deathly silent.

I met a few interesting people there, but never mustered the courage to talk to the cute red-haired girl working there that I had a huge crush on (and, of course, about whom I wrote another lousy poem). Stupid young me.

#43 stylzing

stylzing
  • VibeTribe
  • 713 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:39 AM

El Bandido's:pimp:

#44 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

whoa... what a bump. I'm going to X this weekend for my company christmas party. boo-ya.