Whaddya think?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,620 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

TtB is in favor of marriage equality (though I'd just as soon not see the government involved in marriage at all, unless it's to mediate if it doesn't work out, as with any other contract). TtB doesn't much care for Chief Justice John Roberts.

TtB also gets kinda pissed when the media slings bullshit, regardless of whether or not it supports a cause I like.

Headline at very top of HuffPo just now:

MARRIAGE 'DEFENDER' SMEARS ROBERTS FOR ADOPTING!

The article:

The leader of a prominent anti-gay organization called Supreme Court Chief John Roberts' decision to adopt children the "second-best option," the AP reports.

"You're looking at what is the best course societywide to get you the optimal result in the widest variety of cases. That often is not open to people in individual cases. Certainly adoption in families headed, like Chief Roberts' family is, by a heterosexual couple, is by far the second-best option," said John Eastman, chairman of the National Organization for Marriage.

Eastman was responding to a question about the Chief Justice's position on the rights of same-sex couples. Roberts and his wife adopted two children, Jack and Josie, in 2000. Both children are now 12 years old.

The Supreme Court will consider two high-profile gay rights cases later this month-- whether or not to strike down the Defense of Marriage Act and California's Proposition 8...

http://www.huffingto..._n_2877225.html

Does anyone else see this as a smear?

Seems to me the dude is saying the best family setup is two heterosexual, biological parents raising children.

And that heterosexual couples adopting is the next best thing.

I don't particularly agree, but am I seeing this wrong? Wasn't the dude just voicing his opinion, and not taking a shot at Roberts?

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,129 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

I don't rightly know. I'd need a bit more background info to speculate.

#3 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,678 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

I'll speculate....I don't see the smear...perhaps it was the tone in the man's voice that prompted the "smear"

Govt needs to butt out anyways like Timmums said!