Photo

Are you overcoming your white priviledge?

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#1 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

http://cnsnews.com/n...white-privilege

Wisconsin’s VISTA Program Encourages Volunteers to Overcome White 'Privilege’

(CNSNews.com) - The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) wants its white VISTA volunteers who work with low-income, racially diverse public schools to examine the “privilege” their Caucasian race confers on them.

DPI devotes an entire Web page to “Power and Privilege,” including links to racial justice workshops and online tests where VISTA volunteers can “learn about your personal bias.”

One “diversity” document linked to DPI’s Web site suggests that white people “wear a white wristband as a reminder about your privilege, and as a personal commitment to explain why you wear the wristband.”

The document -- written by a diversity resource center in New Jersey -- also suggests that white people ask themselves questions, such as: “How do I ignore privilege? What am I doing today to undo my privilege? How do I fool myself into thinking I am powerless?”

Other suggestions for white people include:

-- Set aside sections of the day to critically examine how privilege is working.
-- Put a note on your mirror or computer screen as a reminder to think about privilege.
-- Make a daily list of the ways privilege played out, and steps taken or not taken to address privilege.
-- Find a person of color who is willing to hold you accountable for addressing privilege.

The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction is the state agency that advances public education and libraries in Wisconsin.

DPI notes that its AmeriCorps VISTA volunteers are serving in schools that are culturally and racially diverse, and therefore DPI provide “multiple opportunities for training…that help the volunteers better serve the schools and communities in which they are placed.”

(The document mentioned above is just “one strand of information” provided for Wisconsin VISTA volunteers.)

“Not only should you examine the kind of privilege you bring to your (work) site but also how power is distributed among the families, community members, and students you work with,” the DPI Web site says. “The VISTA project encourages VISTAs to think about power and privilege in the context of race, gender, socio-economic status, to name only a few.”

At the top of the DPI’s “Power and Privilege” Web page is a quotation from feminist Gloria Steinem that reads: “The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn.”

AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty.

VISTA members commit to serve full-time for a year at a nonprofit organization or local government agency, working to fight illiteracy, improve health services, create businesses, and strengthen community groups.

#2 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

coping_with_white_privilege.png

#3 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

wow

#4 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

I know. It's pretty difficult to wrap the mind around.

#5 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,001 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

I am the end product of countless generations of humans who evolved to survive and flourish in a northern European climate. Natural selection favored intelligence, resourcefulness, and a strong work ethic. Any "privilege" conferred upon me comes from the hard work of my ancestors. It is not unearned; it was paid for by the generations before me who survived and flourished, despite sometimes oppressive conditions. Most recently, the generation that took the risk of migrating across the ocean to another continent led to my birth here.

Only the sickest of minds would want to manipulate me into hating myself for my heritage. How do I live with my "privilege?" Very well, thank you.

#6 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

I am the end product of countless generations of humans who evolved to survive and flourish in a northern European climate. Natural selection favored intelligence, resourcefulness, and a strong work ethic. Any "privilege" conferred upon me comes from the hard work of my ancestors. It is not unearned; it was paid for by the generations before me who survived and flourished, despite sometimes oppressive conditions. Most recently, the generation that took the risk of migrating across the ocean to another continent led to my birth here.

Only the sickest of minds would want to manipulate me into hating myself for my heritage. How do I live with my "privilege?" Very well, thank you.

Like.

#7 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Frank Zappa.."I'm not black people, but there's a whole lot of times I wish I wasn't white"....

#8 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,365 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Slavery was my fault. So is racism. Sorry about that.

#9 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,147 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

When do I receive my white privileges?

I ve been white a long time...is there a form I'm suppose to fill out?

#10 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,800 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

I come from an upper middle class family and make the same amount of money I did in high school. Totally privililged

#11 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,001 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

When do I receive my white privileges?

I ve been white a long time...is there a form I'm suppose to fill out?

Yes. Go through this gate and ask for one.

20080713_1496598567_brama.jpg

#12 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

I have experienced direct discrimination against me in the workplace because I am a white male

kiss my ass

#13 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Find a person of color who is willing to hold you accountable for addressing privilege.

W

T

F

?!?!?!?

#14 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,001 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Your tax dollars at work:

AmeriCorps is a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service, an independent federal agency whose mission is to improve lives, strengthen communities, and foster civic engagement through service and volunteering. (http://www.americorp...ut/ac/index.asp)

AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Authorized in 1964 and founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965, VISTA was incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs in 1993. (http://www.americorp...grams/vista.asp)

The goal of the DPI VISTA Project is to build capacity for family involvement in low-income schools and communities by implementing a research-based, sustainable process for partnerships. (http://fscp.dpi.wi.gov/fscp_vistahmp)

DPI Vista Overview: http://fscp.dpi.wi.gov/fscp_vexplain

#15 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

I was just talking about this last night how I want to put a bumper sticker on my truck saying, "I'm not the color you're looking for." except I know I'm just asking for trouble and while usually  I'm ready to take the bruises, I really don't need the fines and jail time.   I know full right well when I get pulled over I am likely to be let go- 35 and no record? that isn't luck, and it sure as shit ain't all skill cause I have a temper and I just dared them to take me down. And they never did- not once. Not really. I know a good deal about my privilege. My maiden name is Brown.    

#16 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,175 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

How many generations ya'll have living under the same roof.  You have your own bedroom or do you have to share or are there no bedrooms?

#17 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Card card...oh yeah, I have one and I'm pulling it out...Native American card...you fuc-ers go home.   Kidding and I really need to make myself a card since my tribe is gone having merged with several other tribes almost 100 years ago.  Then again if you fall into the correct thinking (oops) that we all come from Africa we are all of the same color.....just tanned out a little different or sunburned in the case of the Irish. 

#18 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

mmmmm. just read the article rather than the chart. Maybe those are things that would connect in others' interactions, but not my own. A little contrived, but I don't know who the audience or the group asking is- so I couldn't say.  I try to be conscious about the power differential in almost all of my interactions- I can't exactly say the affect that has on my response- but I'm pretty grounded in that I know I have a lot more power over my life than a lot of people I interact with, but it doesn't make my experience any more valid. (on my better days)

#19 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

How many generations ya'll have living under the same roof.  You have your own bedroom or do you have to share or are there no bedrooms?

There was one time in my life when i was 4 that we lived with mom mom- and you can sure as shit believe that she never had any grandkids live with her again after that! but my ma was the only girl. 

I presently forego a living room so my son and daughters can have their own rooms and we still live comfortably in a town I feel is safe and has as good a school as I can afford. 

#20 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,001 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

mmmmm. just read the article rather than the chart. Maybe those are things that would connect in others' interactions, but not my own. A little contrived, but I don't know who the audience or the group asking is- so I couldn't say.  I try to be conscious about the power differential in almost all of my interactions- I can't exactly say the affect that has on my response- but I'm pretty grounded in that I know I have a lot more power over my life than a lot of people I interact with, but it doesn't make my experience any more valid. (on my better days)

You are an oppressor, and you will defer to those with less privilege, or you will be sent to the reeducation camp. Is that clear, comrade? :spank:

#21 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

My coworker in the office next door to me- almost 20 years older with 3 boys from 30 down to 12. She lives in what I call the hood. So doesn't she.

Last summer when I asked her why when we make the same money, we pay the same for rent for the same sized apartment, she wasn't getting the fuck out of the city where her kid could roam in the summer time without worrying about stray bullets. (a very real problem in her part of Dorchester) I'm not coming in to work  lamenting about my son's childhood friend being shot and I'm sure as shit not worried about my child catching stray bullets like she worries for hers. She only said, "I can't go way out there." I know her. She doesn't have any less love for her boy than my love for my children. In fact- her dedication to her clients FAR exceeds my own- at the end of the day I go home- but she picks up the call anytime her client calls....I learn about her capacity to see what is going on around her and do something to fix it...but why doesn't she get the fuck out? 

#22 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

I'm aware that as a college-educated, white male in this country, I have it really good.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to feel bad about the color of my skin, or about my not dwelling on the color of my skin.

#23 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

You are an oppressor, and you will defer to those with less privilege, or you will be sent to the reeducation camp. Is that clear, comrade? :spank:

All I see is your spankings and I'm like yessah misstah. :blush:

#24 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

I'm aware that as a college-educated, white male in this country, I have it really good.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to feel bad about the color of my skin, or about my not dwelling on the color of my skin.

i don't know about feeling bad, (I don't do that unless I'm breaking up with you.) but I'm pretty happy that the education I have makes me more cognizant of differences, history, social influences, institutions, and other factors that are all at play in all of our lives and influence the decisions we make, and the decisions we are allowed to make because of the particular circumstances we are born into. 

#25 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,001 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hey, I think I found the name for my Vibes camp site! Reeducation Camp -- has a nice ring to it, eh.

#26 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

been eating a lot more chocolate pie than usual.

#27 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

fucking white woman in America- I can think of almost no better place to be. 

#28 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

:lol: lucky! NY doin you right!

#29 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Awareness and education are important, without a doubt.

But a program which suggests (which it does, IMO) that you go around mea culpaing for the circumstances into which you were born seems to me to be the epitome of political correctness. I actually find it pretty revolting.

#30 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

:lol: lucky! NY doin you right!

teh darker the berry yada yada..... 

#31 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

teh darker the berry yada yada..... 

There ya arrrrr. Burying that waaay in deep. So way up in there no one would even think to look!

#32 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

and what the hell do they put in the water in Trinidad anyway???  shit be like pure sugar cane

#33 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Me too, especially being a ginger ( we stand out too, the tall red head (there is like 3 of us) )...

but I grew up with a single mom in the projects.  I make more now in bonuses than my mom made in a year.

TodtHill1.jpg

#34 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

:rimshot:

#35 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

and what the hell do they put in the water in Trinidad anyway???  shit be like pure sugar cane

Show me. Fucking Popeye motherfucker- show me. 

#36 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

Awareness and education are important, without a doubt.

But a program which suggests (which it does, IMO) that you go around mea culpaing for the circumstances into which you were born seems to me to be the epitome of political correctness. I actually find it pretty revolting.

I do as well. As IASW said, only the lowliest of lows would encourage others to be self loathing over a condition of which they are not responsible.

And "white privilege" is a bunch of absolute nonsense. Unless by privilege it means to work with the hand one is given. that isn't to say I don't see disparage around me. I see lots of it adn I myself have overcome some pretty terrible odds. What I refuse to do is base that disparage off the color of ones skin as opposed to ones decisions.

I came froma  poor family of "white" people and was given nothing in the way of any "privilege".

#37 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,258 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

When I first read the op, I thought this couldn't possibly be real.

So I sent it to my sister in WI who is very politically active and asked her if it was real and if she's heard of it.

Here is her response.

"Yes, heard of it. In my opinion teaching about power and privilege needs to be part of teacher training and actually taught in the classrooms to the youngest of kids if we are going to get anywhere combating racism in our society. By the mocking tone of the article and the rightwing credentials of the parent organization of the website, this looks like another thinly veiled attack on both public education and any attempt to address social inequality.  Sad."

#38 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

When I first read the op, I thought this couldn't possibly be real.

So I sent it to my sister in WI who is very politically active and asked her if it was real and if she's heard of it.

Here is her response.

"Yes, heard of it. In my opinion teaching about power and privilege needs to be part of teacher training and actually taught in the classrooms to the youngest of kids if we are going to get anywhere combating racism in our society. By the mocking tone of the article and the rightwing credentials of the parent organization of the website, this looks like another thinly veiled attack on both public education and any attempt to address social inequality.  Sad."

What's really sad is someone condoning people to be self loathing. Even worse, turning such a subject into a political football game. That's what is sad. As if other skin colors aren't fucking racist. Give . Me. A. F*&(ing. Break.

#39 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

What's really sad is someone condoning people to be self loathing. Even worse, turning such a subject into a political football game. That's what is sad. As if other skin colors aren't fucking racist. Give . Me. A. F*&(ing. Break.

Why do you feel there necessitates self loathing to acknowledge that there is some privilege you reap by being a middle class white man in america? You deny you have better infant mortality rates? you deny lower rates of incarceration? younger morbidity rates? I could go on. If you do then you're just not paying attention. 

#40 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,823 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

yup

#41 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

Why do you feel there necessitates self loathing to acknowledge that there is some privilege you reap by being a middle class white man in america? You deny you have better infant mortality rates? you deny lower rates of incarceration? younger morbidity rates? I could go on. If you do then you're just not paying attention. 

There's a big difference between having awareness, and walking around with a label on your wrist and asking people of a different color to hold you accountable.

Humility, good. Humiliation, not so much.

IMO.

#42 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

I believe there are many white guys that are poor, and not thriving because of his priveledge.

Life is what you make of it.

#43 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

I do as well. As IASW said, only the lowliest of lows would encourage others to be self loathing over a condition of which they are not responsible.

And "white privilege" is a bunch of absolute nonsense. Unless by privilege it means to work with the hand one is given. that isn't to say I don't see disparage around me. I see lots of it adn I myself have overcome some pretty terrible odds. What I refuse to do is base that disparage off the color of ones skin as opposed to ones decisions.

I came froma  poor family of "white" people and was given nothing in the way of any "privilege".

Fucking nonsense. :lol:

#44 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

Well, first, the organization isn't addressing non-Amercians. This isn't about world poverty, it's about American poverty. Something I'm more than familiar with, so I'm not so sure your contention holds any water. It would also probably have to actually fall into a socio-economic group labeled "middle class". I reject the VISTA premise of "white privilege" off hand.

#45 DF

DF
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

This is quite interesting.

#46 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

I believe there are many white guys that are poor, and not thriving because of his priveledge.

Life is what you make of it.

No way, man! All "whites" need to recognize their privilege and brand themselves for political gain. Let me know when you find that "privilege".

#47 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,258 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

I don't think it's about condoning self loathing.

It's more like mental excercises to encourage additional ways of thinking.

Remember this is lilly white Wisconsin where people can go their entire lives interacting only with other Caucasians.

#48 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Well, first, the organization isn't addressing non-Amercians. This isn't about world poverty, it's about American poverty. Something I'm more than familiar with, so I'm not so sure your contention holds any water. It would also probably have to actually fall into a socio-economic group labeled "middle class". I reject the VISTA premise of "white privilege" off hand.

Sure I fall into middle class- because I come from a family that was all educated in college. And white. Every. Last. One of them. How many black folk you know can say that? I married beneath me I'm not proud to say it but it's true- racist son of a bitch- his family is good working class folk, not a one of em went to college. 

Which contention did I make that you quarrel? 

I certainly never argued I agree with anything VISTA has to say- I was talking about "white privilege" as I experience it. And also some data facts like (I'll repeat myself here) infant mortality rates being lower for white babies, overall mortality ages being lower for BLACK adults: more miscarriages from black mothers; higher rates of obesity among black youth- what the fuck more do you want dude? Incarcerations, murders, felons, 

I'm not talking about loathing- I'm talking about acknowledging race is a fucking factor in outcomes. Fucking libertarian I'll shoot you. 

Edited: because I feel like this gets lost further down the line. 

#49 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

with my words I mean. :chinup:

#50 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,823 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

hmmmmmmmm

since Mike is an ultra extra white person,,he should just go whip himself with a barbed whip to make up for all that "guilt"