Today at the playground

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mylightning2

mylightning2
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

Took my Daughter (she's almost 3) to the playground today. Mostly out of state plates in the lot (1 state in particular stood out as being the majority), this is a tourist town. Anyway, this was the first time either of us have experienced people like this, and while I was kinda bummed at people's inconsiderate behavior, my Daughter was terrified.

It's a big jungle gym, HUGE! Ya know, like what you find in "rich prick" towns. Overweight children and their parents were running around the thing, not giving a shit about smaller children and their parent's were joining right in, not saying a word about having respect for others. Kids were climbing up slides while my Daughter was trying to go down, and going down right after her, potentially injuring her. We left unscathed, but I was amazed at how disrespectful these people were.

I asked one child in a really nice way if he could just chill and leave my Daughter alone, and the little *&%$@# had the nerve to talk back to me. They left, but it took some restraint not to take his parent's aside for a sit down.

We do our best to teach our Daughter to have respect for other children's feelings, belongings, space, etc. Wish everybody did. Not sure what the deal was. The only thing I know about the disrespectful people is that they were from someplace else (it seemed all from the same place).

Maybe there should be some sort of requirement to be allowed to reproduce. Mostly joking, but WTF?

#2 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:03 AM

seriously! I have no problem disciplining other children at the playground. Maybe b/c I'm a teacher but it's not okay to endanger a lil one!

#3 mylightning2

mylightning2
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:37 AM

Maybe if I hadn't been so nice, the kid wouldn't have been such a prick.

He was maybe 7-8, and damn close to bullying my little girl right in front of me. It's now obvious that he was being aggressive on purpose.

My Daughter doesn't really understand what that is, but I could tell that if I wasn't there this little &%$*#!*&^%$# would have bullied her. Not sure how i'm gonna go about it, but I won't stand that shit for a second.

Is it the parenting?

I have a great story about bullying. My Friend used to get bullied when he was in HS. Kids would beat him up walking home from school. He never said anything, but his Pops caught on. Well, his Pops is......well, he's in waste management:wink::funny1:. So, he's walking home from school one day, the bullies were following him. All of a sudden a town car pulls up and a couple of goons get out and "rough up" the bullies. That was the last time anyone fucked w/ him. I think they carried his bag home after that.:lol:

He was great guy. He's gone now, was a VP at Cantor on 9/11. Sorry, I know that's a bit of a downer, he just came to mind:sad:.

#4 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

:heart:

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:40 AM

Been that way for years and years here in VT.

#6 VibeCalledQuest

VibeCalledQuest
  • VibeTribe
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:52 AM

i feel the same way when i take my children to the playground. My daughter is so respectful and polite to everyone and everything. And then when shes there kids cut in front of her, go up the slide while shes going down, go down while shes still on the slide, push her out of the way on the monkey bars, and the list goes on. Then I see their parents over on the bench half asleep or face buried in a magazine or anything but monitoring their child's behavior. Sometimes it makes me sick. Other times i butt in and tell the kids to watch out, or wait their turns. And half the time the kids either pay no attention or ignore me. I then will give them a mean evil look and it usually works to get their attention. I feel that it is just becoming worse and worse. A child's behavior is solely based on the parent's actions and behavior and most of the time I feel that those parents should've never been given the opportunity to have children. :hit:

#7 Guest_Again and Again_*

Guest_Again and Again_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

seriously! I have no problem disciplining other children at the playground. Maybe b/c I'm a teacher but it's not okay to endanger a lil one!

+1 I've found myself disciplining other children at the playground. Parents usually are so out of it they don't even see/hear it.

#8 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:54 PM

i try to find a balance when at the park with jeremy. first, he is an only child so when i take him to the park, it is to give him an opportunity to interact with people other than me. so i am often that parent either reading a book or working on a craft or something while also keeping an eye on him. i watch from afar when he is trying to work out something with a peer so that he gets practice in conflict resolution. if it seems too big for him to deal with, then i step in. i ALWAYS step in and remove him from a situation if he is being a goon and not playing well with others.

and if another child is being a goon, and their parent is not getting involved, i have no problem stepping in and directing the other child, e.g taking toys from someone else, or throwing sand, or swearing or whatever. or if the parent is being a wishy washy fool, i will talk directly to the other child. for example, there was a day when a small child, say three, was playing in the park across the street. he was throwing sand, the mother didn't stop him and jeremy literally got an eyeful. as i tried to clean jeremy's eyes out, the mother was hovering nervously saying in a hesitant, weak voice, "say sorry, say you're sorry..." her kid wasn't even paying attention, he was looking at jeremy (who was wailing) in shock. so i got right down at his level, looked him in the eyes and said very sternly, "don't throw sand. it hurts!"