Light shows rant: What makes a good one and a bad one

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,726 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

I was at a Galactic show last night and had never noticed that their light show is one of the best in the business. And it made me think of what makes a good one versus a bad one. The lighting was warm and ambient and adhered to the basic flow of the music, so it really complimented it without trying too hard to be its own standalone show.  Very similar to Phish.

What I liked the most is whenever the lights were shined directly in my face, they were muzzled enough to not blind me or confuse the hell out of my pupils.  I could still look at and see the stage.

So I know there are people's friends involved here, and honestly I don't care, but if you shine unpleasant blinding spotlights directly in my face, as far as I'm concerned your lightshow SUCKS ASS. And I will say so. STS9 and NMAS light guys, I am looking at YOU. Having interrogation lights ruin my night kind of even makes me angry. But it doesn't seem to affect others as much as it affects me so maybe I stand alone on this.

#2 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I've heard people in the business describe these things (9-lights):

par-light-audienc-blinders_1_12_9Light.j

as "audience abusers"... even the name of the photo in the original link is called an audience blinder

Those things are obnoxious if they aren't used correctly... as far as moving spots they probably can be dimmed a little when they point out into the audience's faces relatively easily... I agree that blinding people who are attending your concerts is probably not a good idea

#3 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,392 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

Get some sunglasses noob :pimp:

The best light shows are done by people that know the bands music well.  biscuits and um have the best lights around in my opinion.

Whenever I see furthur I feel like they have this big rig that they don't do shit with same thing with Widespread panic.

Phish obviously has great lights but besides adding the screens I feel like they have had the same light rig since 2003.

#4 SueTheDonkey

SueTheDonkey
  • VibeTribe
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

I like red light bulbs

#5 SueTheDonkey

SueTheDonkey
  • VibeTribe
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Black lights too

#6 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,726 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

As far as the sensitivity of there being people's good friends involved, I have this to say: I'll make a deal with you, you tell them to get the fucking interrogation lights out of my eyes, and I'll stop loudly proclaiming how they SUCK. 

#7 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,681 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

That's why Umphrey's sells sunglasses at their merch table. :pimp.

#8 Kuzsin

Kuzsin
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Get some sunglasses noob :gregoir:

The best light shows are done by people that know the bands music well.  biscuits and um have the best lights around in my opinion.

Whenever I see furthur I feel like they have this big rig that they don't do shit with same thing with Widespread panic.

Phish obviously has great lights but besides adding the screens I feel like they have had the same light rig since 2003.

that's because phish has been playing the same songs since then...lol....biscuits lazers for  the win......

#9 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,392 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

that's because phish has been playing the same songs since then...lol....biscuits lazers for  the win......

Yeah the  biscuits lasers are cool but I dig the normal lighting they do even more then the lasers.  Their lights are very good at setting the proper tone for a song and for going in directions that can be just a complete mindfuck.  I also like that at Camp bisco they have never used video screens that project the band, but they do have one behind with psychedelic images on it.  

#10 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

As far as the sensitivity of there being people's good friends involved, I have this to say: I'll make a deal with you, you tell them to get the fucking interrogation lights out of my eyes, and I'll stop loudly proclaiming how they SUCK. 

as I turn my back to the stage ..

Here, here!  Well put

#11 cheeseweasel

cheeseweasel
  • VibeTribe
  • 802 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:24 AM

Never a fan of the interrogation lights. Always make me feel like my mom has walked in while I am "baking" and listening to music and she flips on the lights.
Also not a fan of strobes. I don't need my concert inducing a seizure.

#12 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:59 AM

I agree with everyone here.  1. don't fucking blind me please 2. UM and Biscuits absolutely have the most awesomest light shows AND LD's to boot.  I think Toddy thinks UM's are/is the best best.  3. Strobes put me in the ER with seizures.  :lol:

And that Gregior is the headiest of heads and Julius is a n00b...:)

Yea, I have absolutely nothing of my own to add to this thread.  I'll carry on now~

#13 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,483 posts
  • LocationA peaceful place, or so it looks from space

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:11 AM

I'm in complete agreement about UM's lights. Fan-fucking-tastic!!!

#14 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

20538_1292313902712_4952233_n.jpg?dl=1

#15 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

20538_1292311622655_5287363_n.jpg?dl=1

#16 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,392 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:23 AM

Wende gets sig status :pimp:

561605_10152159846275472_1356400600_n.jp

#17 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:27 AM

Now I feel pretty damn heady....:)

#18 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,726 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

Yes I am a neub. And a conservative catholic. So where's all the puritan chicks at?

#19 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

this reminds me of a jefferson airplane show i saw in 1969 at the palace in albany. groovy stuff, not like the "we'll be shining brights on you for a few seconds so the feds can take their surveillance shots now" ....

#20 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

I'm not a big fan of 10 gazzillion lights all going apeshit...flashing blinding strobe lights..    Gives me a headache.   Sometimes it reminds me of an accident on the interstate highway where every Fire Dept and Police agency responds with their seizure inducing wig wag code lights.        Some acts more successful than others at it though.  

I do like lighting effects though...    Some quick Grateful Dead examples come to mind:  During Space, various spotlights would reflect off of randomly placed mirrors (say on top of amp stacks) ...smoke generator going full steam...    The stage would take on a surreal spaceship looking creation.       

During "Looks like rain", a backdrop of downward shining lights...panaspots I think they were called..each projecting a sharp pattern on the stage floor, also with smoke...set against a purple background...kind of gave the illusion of rain.    

Just two examples of inventive use of the lights, that complimented the song.     But in no way cuased anyone in the audience occular trauma. 

Not long ago, I saw RATDOG.        They had like 5 fairly high powered Panaspots on the top of the speaker stacks directly behind the musicians, all of which were positioned just a few inches higher than the musicians heads.   Most of the show, they were aimed directly at the audience.   Those poorly placed lights totally assaulted my eyes..      I think that was my all time most hated light show ever.