• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationA peaceful place, or so it looks from space

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

I think I want to go this year but I'm thinking about camping somewhere off site. I've always avoided Mt. Jam cuz I lived around that area and know the cops make it a shitshow.

Any tips on where to camp close-by?
Hard to pass up this lineup :dance:

#2 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

I actually did that one year, and found the experience somewhat offputting.      My buddy had a ski house about one mile up the main drag from the access road.    Some renters accidentally burned it to the ground, so the property was an overgrown lot with the wreckage of a burned house still on it.   He allowed myself and a friend to camp there for the festival.    Added advantage is the Mt Jam festival shuttle busses had a stop pretty close to our lot...  

The upside was that we had essentially "car camping" on a large level lot...  With no spunion neighbors to wake us up, we slept pretty well.     And we saved like $40/person on the overall ticketing expenses becuase we purhased "music only" wristbands.

Turned out that the all access camping/music wristbands was the way to go.   Major headache to have music only wristbands becuase we had some friends in the camping zone that had invited us back to their campsite at various times, and we were dissallowed entry into the camping zone.    Also a major hassle when we attempted to hand off some equipment/supplies to them.   We couldn't "legally" be in the camping zone at any time (although we got where we needed to get to via alternate routes ;-) )        

Our entire experience with Mt Jam was pretty sucky, almost to the point of not ever wanting to go back.      However we agreed that the best way to attack this fest is to go the full monty with camping/music all access wristbands.   And most certainly realize that the primary purpose of those security checkpoints is to arrest people.     (yes, anyone caught with anything are handed to uniformed PoPo).    We had a very close call there.   And last year, another friend was arrested carry some very serious no nos.

#3 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

love the line-up; despise the town's approach to music fans.  won't give hunter a dime...and i stayed in the base lodge when i went.

#4 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Thanks Eddie. I kinda thought having the music only wristband would be a hassle. I'm just kinda sick of the late night shenanigans. Too much too fast for the most part and I'm trying to be a good girl. Plus that area is so beautiful, I'd rather wake up in nature's beauty and serenity.

Cur, I am with you 100%. Hunter has really disgusted me. I almost hate myself for wanting to go. Tell me more about this base lodge.
Keep in mind that I've never attended a mt jam cuz of the town's distain of the fans. I kinda wish they'd move it to Saugerties, Woodstock 94 site.

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Pretty sure the onsite lodge is sold out for this year.

#6 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,730 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

[x] like

love the line-up; despise the town's approach to music fans.  won't give hunter a dime...and i stayed in the base lodge when i went.

#7 Mr Bo Berry

Mr Bo Berry
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationDerby CT

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

We went last year and found absolutely no hassles. It was a great experience so we did not hesitate to get tickets again this year. Last year it even more laid back than Vibes has been to be honest. This year we are doing the car camping.

#8 Dolla Jill

Dolla Jill
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

Mt Jam's cops and security have left bad tastes in a lot of peoples mouths! this year the guy who was in charge of hiring security is no longer on the team, so fingers crossed, there will be less hassle. this year for the 1st time ever, mt jam will have car camping. i have no idea where or how it will be since it's never been done before.

i "work" and don't stay on the grounds myself. i haven't gone into the campgrounds in the last 2 years and don't feel i missed out on anything. so, its really up to you on where you want to lay your head at night. :)

#9 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,791 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

go Jen GO! :crazy:

#10 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

Dee!!! You going??
Hmmm, that give me more incentive. And the BoBerrys too. You're all my favorites!!!
I think we will most likely go. A change of scenery will be nice :D

I'm gonna look into close by campsites

#11 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

I wish I could get a job doing American Sign Language interpreting for Phil and others.

#12 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,048 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

I went last year, and thought it was great. No hassels with the PoPo.  We stayed at the Forester, which is a closer walk than some of the on mountain condos. Even had some great roommates:The BoBerrys!!! YAY!.

The Green Mtn Inn in Tannerville MIGHT have some space.  It is not a bad place, I have stayed there before. It is about 4 miles from  Hunter.  JUST DON"T DRIVE DRUNK.  Forester sells out early.

Further away, the Catskil Mountain Lodge (palenville) is a dump.  Not recommended

We are not going this year.  Strangecreek the week before and all.

#13 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:30 AM

I'm not a drinker so I always end up designated driver.
I was looking at woodland valley campground but its all the way in Phonecia. I'll have to call around I guess. Thanks for the heads up on the Palenville place. I used to have a friend in Palenville but that was many moons ago.

#14 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,048 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

I have no idea, but what about Devil's Tombstone campground?  In Hunter still, on 214 on the way to Phonecia.  Or the campground at North Lake, in Haines Falls?

Devils Tombstone, as I remember doesn't have a lot of "services"  maybe they have a shower, not sure....

#15 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Chocolate pudding is nice :)

#16 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,791 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Jen...this will be my 5th year in a row and, IMHO, the best line-up yet! :crazy:

I will be there along with Jambear, CTmuleman & jboobs, nancykind and quite a few others...we all used to stay in a slopeside condo but they effed up over this year so we are going VIP and camping in VIP car camping (i am pretty happy about it, actually! :ura1: )

i know tabooma and LF are going and the boberrys and lola& tyler...i havent had my :coffee: yet so i know i am forgetting others i know are going...no massive campsite planned (a la velcro) but VIP car camp is so small that i think its inevitable that we all end up relatively close to each other

but where you camp is immaterial

with that line-up, we wont be at the site ceptin to sleep! :lol:

i cannot stress how much it is imperative that you do NOT drive fucked up on anything, carry anything on you in your car or speed.  They have zero tolerance there and will not hesitate to pull you over for talking on cells and driving, speeding or looking like a mtn jammer :plain:

imho, you would benefit if you wanted to camp on the mtn for one reason only: that is less times you need to go through security in the main lodge, which is where i have heard the most police-related horror stories from :wink:

you can park offsite and shuttle in and if you just bring a tent and a bed, it wouldnt be that hard to hike up and find a spot, imho

no paying for camping that way and no paying for parking (a new rule if you park on site, you pay to park)

there are good vendors there that we plan to eat from instead of bringing food

just sayin...then you dont have to worry about driving :smile:

#17 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,791 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

http://www.gathering...am-2013-lineup/

#18 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Yay, I'm pretty much coming to the conclusion that camping off site isn't that feasible, distance-wise or monetarily. So we'd have to buy camping passes.

Ok, time to work some OT this week :D

#19 Dolla Jill

Dolla Jill
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

BEST LINE UP YET!!!!! no need to leave the mountain! :) come stop by and get your karma washed!

#20 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

BEST LINE UP YET!!!!! no need to leave the mountain! :) come stop by and get your karma washed!

Ahhh, but if course. My karma has a hazy film over her. I may even need an undercarriage wash and wax :naughty:

#21 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,791 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

Yay, I'm pretty much coming to the conclusion that camping off site isn't that feasible, distance-wise or monetarily. So we'd have to buy camping passes.

Ok, time to work some OT this week :D

:ura1:

#22 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,292 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Buy your tickets now before the price goes up again.

#23 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Hmm...I'm torn between MT Jam and Strangecreek.  Doubt my body and wallet could handle both....

#24 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

We have done camping and single day on the mt. and didn't have any issues with the police.  Although the single day we slept in the SUV in the parking lot to avoid driving drunk and therefore any road blocks. 

#25 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,048 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hmm...I'm torn between MT Jam and Strangecreek.  Doubt my body and wallet could handle both....

All of the car camping for Mt Jam is SOLD OUT.  Only thing left is the slope camping.

a couple of things you should remember about slope camping:

1. It ALWAYS rains at Mt Jam

2. Water goes downhill....

#26 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Thanks, it looks like strangecreek then. I can't sleep on a hill, don't care for water in my tent and the negative stuff about the popo isn't up my alley.

#27 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

I missed the last couple of years, but Strangecreek is a wonderful scene.      Smaller festival, bands not as popular, and unless you spring for an RV lot, you have to camp separate from cars.  But overall, this is a charming festival. 

#28 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,791 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

strangecreek is wonderful, agreed

but mtn jam is also quite awesome

the reports of horrible police and horrible camping conditions are greatly exaggerated in my humble opinion...just sayin :dunno:

#29 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,048 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

strangecreek is wonderful, agreed

but mtn jam is also quite awesome

the reports of horrible police and horrible camping conditions are greatly exaggerated in my humble opinion...just sayin :dunno:

I agree with:

[ X ] Strangecreek being wonderful

[ X ] Mountain Jam quite awesome

[ X ] Reports of horrible police greatly exaggerated

[    ] Reports of horrible camping conditions being greatly exaggerated

unless you are in VIP camping, or it doesn't rain

#30 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,791 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

agreed :lol:

as this will be my first year camping :D

will report back!

#31 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:02 AM

Ugh!!! I don't know how I feel about slope camping :undecided:

#32 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,715 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

if the set up is the same as in past years there's lots of places to camp in general camping without being on the mountain

#33 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,715 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

trying to post a pic....   the field underneath the word 'entrance' was general camping last year, and has trees as you can see, as was the field below that, where the words 'mountain jam members' start, and the little field where their "boardie camping" is circled was general camping in past years too.    

that said, some of that may be non car VIP camping this year because the sparsely populated field behind the building that's marked as 'entrance' here, is VIP car camping this year.

MJmapfromtheair_zps51908d8f.jpg

#34 Terry Bo Berry

Terry Bo Berry
  • VibeTribe
  • 941 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Nancy is THE BEST!!!

We walked through the camping areas last year and I agree that there was plenty of flat space if you wanted it. 

#35 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,292 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

They let you sketchfactors into the camping area?   :huh:   :wink:

#36 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,791 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Ugh!!! I don't know how I feel about slope camping :undecided:

jen, a lot of the gen pop camping is on sloped areas BUT, like the pic nancy posted shows, a lot of it isnt, as well! esp if you are smart and go minimal...a tent and an ez up or canopy...eat at vendors, dance more, sleep less :D

the key here is to get there early...like asscrack:00

one caveat, i have to admit that i have never arrived at "gates" for mtn jam as i was at the kaatskill mtn club, so i have no idea what the rules are for arriving pre-official gates time

BUT, if you are not able to get an on-site parking pass, then you will be shuttling, so i guess, make sure you know where you are going to park and be there early, so you can be on the first bus and grab a primo spot :Phishfolk:

do you know where the hillside spot we all congregate is?

i can kinda point it out using nancys picture...

trying to post a pic....   the field underneath the word 'entrance' was general camping last year, and has trees as you can see, as was the field below that, where the words 'mountain jam members' start, and the little field where their "boardie camping" is circled was general camping in past years too.    

that said, some of that may be non car VIP camping this year because the sparsely populated field behind the building that's marked as 'entrance' here, is VIP car camping this year.

MJmapfromtheair_zps51908d8f.jpg

awesome pic, nancy :clapping: :heart:

#37 groundhog

groundhog
  • VibeTribe
  • 349 posts
  • Locationthe 603

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

I agree with:

[ X ] Strangecreek being wonderful

[ X ] Mountain Jam quite awesome

[ X ] Reports of horrible police greatly exaggerated

[    ] Reports of horrible camping conditions being greatly exaggerated

unless you are in VIP camping, or it doesn't rain

I've been searched a little too thoroughly a few times over the years.  Last year was the first time I decided not to buy a camping ticket and sleep in my car.  I found the security to be much more pleasant at the entrance that goes directly to the grounds (underneath the lodge) than the camping entrance.

#38 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,715 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

They let you sketchfactors into the camping area?   :huh:   :wink:

can you believe it??   :D    i like to check out the vending and other things ( {{{ my all-day breakfast vendor }}}} in camping so i've always gotten a camping wristband :thup:

#39 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,048 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

I've been searched a little too thoroughly a few times over the years.  Last year was the first time I decided not to buy a camping ticket and sleep in my car.  I found the security to be much more pleasant at the entrance that goes directly to the grounds (underneath the lodge) than the camping entrance.

There have been stories in years past of police pulling over anyone who might look like they are going to Mtn Jam.  Police presence in the Hunter/Tannersville area is high, for sure, but I have never seen it being really bad. 

Hunter/Tannersville is not unlike any other resort type of area.  The visitor pay a large amount in the form of traffic fines, etc.  Right or wrong, it is the same all over.  

#40 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,791 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

can you believe it??   :D    i like to check out the vending and other things ( {{{ my all-day breakfast vendor }}}} in camping so i've always gotten a camping wristband :thup:

yup...the campgrounds are so entertaining and people who dont get a camping band cant get to half the vendors!

nancy, where is this all day breakfast vendor? :huh:

i was planning on bringing no food except breakfast type stuff, but if there is a good breakfast vendor, i may bring no food at all :lol:

#41 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,791 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

There have been stories in years past of police pulling over anyone who might look like they are going to Mtn Jam.  Police presence in the Hunter/Tannersville area is high, for sure, but I have never seen it being really bad. 

Hunter/Tannersville is not unlike any other resort type of area.  The visitor pay a large amount in the form of traffic fines, etc.  Right or wrong, it is the same all over.  

do NOT talk on your phone, they WILL pull you over (found this out last year the hard way :bang: )

i am an outta stater and didnt realize i couldnt :dunno:

oh well...and the fine isnt predetermined! i was advised to admit guilt and apologize and that my fine could be "as low" as 75 bux

i did so, and added thank yous to the town in the letter, for hosting the event and received the 75 dollar fine

so

fasten your belt

put down your phone

dont wear tie dyes when you drive

and for the love of all thats holy, DO NOT SPEED

the last few miles will feel like a crawl but the towns are peppered with local cops looking to ticket you

then, if you speed going up the mtn, you run the risk of plunging down a 100 foot deep chasm :eek:

its a beautiful road, but please keep both hands on the wheel and eyes on the ever-twisting road :smile:

oh, and as of today, 12 weeks to go! :ura1:

#42 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,048 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

do NOT talk on your phone, they WILL pull you over (found this out last year the hard way :bang: )

i am an outta stater and didnt realize i couldnt :dunno:

oh well...and the fine isnt predetermined! i was advised to admit guilt and apologize and that my fine could be "as low" as 75 bux

i did so, and added thank yous to the town in the letter, for hosting the event and received the 75 dollar fine

so

fasten your belt

put down your phone

dont wear tie dyes when you drive

and for the love of all thats holy, DO NOT SPEED

the last few miles will feel like a crawl but the towns are peppered with local cops looking to ticket you

then, if you speed going up the mtn, you run the risk of plunging down a 100 foot deep chasm :eek:

its a beautiful road, but please keep both hands on the wheel and eyes on the ever-twisting road :smile:

oh, and as of today, 12 weeks to go! :ura1:

From the NYS Thruway up to Palenville, Police are heavy.  The road is flat, and you will want to speed.  Bad idea.  

After Palenville, you start going uphill.  Just be careful.  It is twisty/turny.  It is a BIG drop.

Then you hit, in quick succession, Haines Falls, Tannersville, and Hunter.  Assume heavy police presence.   Assume they are looking for speeders, cell phone use, seat belt use, or expired tags and the like.  A broken headlight will get you pulled over for sure. 

The thing is, if you don't do those things, they will let you pass by.  They know SOMEONE will come by speeding, yapping on the phone, they don't want to miss their chances...

#43 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,791 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

in a completely off-topic note...along the MA Pike there is a maintenance shed area with a sign "Warren Maintenance Facility"

i always giggle and imagine inside is decorated in all black and flames, with Warren reclining on a chaise lounge getting a mani/pedi by beautiful hippie chicks, being fanned and fed grapes and beer bongs :lol: :dunno:

#44 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,715 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

nancy, where is this all day breakfast vendor? :huh:

i was planning on bringing no food except breakfast type stuff, but if there is a good breakfast vendor, i may bring no food at all :lol:

the last two years, it's been on the right, past the very first set of vendors.  kind of at the bottom of the first trail up the mountain than you can camp on.   on the right.    

does mt jam list its vendors in advance?    prolly not, but would be helpful....

#45 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,715 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

also, the festival has also coincided with the week of a nys crackdown on seat belts, inspections etc, and we miss that this year so according to mt jam, there won't be the checkpoint coming in to town this year at all.   

#46 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

The year we camped (2010?)we arrived less than one hour before gates opened and not only didn't see a single cop on the way into town but we parked  right were that picture ends in the middle of the right side (so, very close)  and only about 100 people ahead of us in line to get searched.  Only downfall was that said line did not move for quite some time due to a lack of communication between the ticket guys and security (which I have experienced at Vibes as well) 

Over all good experience on the mountain. 

Would like to camp at the top of camping but dont' want to climb the mountain that many times in a weekend.

#47 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,829 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

I camped at the top in 06 it was a lot hiking. Cool view though

#48 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

I know the back way in from rt 214. I'm sure that will be heavily patrolled too but less people know that way

#49 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

We took all winding back roads south from the Amsterdam area.  Not sure the route number but it was a great drive at dawn. 

#50 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,715 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

i think i was wrong about last year (not sure about previous years) - - the field with trees might have been VIP camping last year but the open field at the bottom was definitely general camping.   i recall an orange fence on my left as i was walking down that one road last year so that's why i think it was VIP.