Night time routines

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

So I need some help ladies and gent's....

Baby Moon is not wanting to go to sleep at night time.

I try and keep him up more during the day but he keeps wanting to sleep. I can manage an hour after each feeding.

But my problem at night is getting hard. At 7pm I give him a bath, then feed him and read to him. Around 8 pm i put him down with soft bedtime music playing. We are using a red light in his room to keep him from becoming hyper alert. But when we lay him down he gets super fussy and cries and cries. We will try and comfort him and hold him. He will calm down when we hold him and right before he falls asleep we put him down again and he starts to cry again.

I don't want to let him fall asleep on me but I have had to a few times in order to get some sleep myself. It has taken up to three hours and another feeding to get him to sleep.

Can anyone suggest anything?

#2 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Emelia has slept through the night since 4 weeks old.  Lucky and rare I guess.

Routine is key, so keep sticking to it, and hopefully it will click.  Do you have a sound machine?  We play a sound machine every night for her.  She likes it.

I will say that around 8 months she hit a period of being fussy at bedtime, so it takes anywhere from 5-30 minutes to get her to fall asleep.  We don't do cry it out.  When she starts crying, we pick her up, quiet her down, and then put her down again.  If she cries, we repeat.  (We don't run in right away...we will let her fuss for a few minutes and then we go in and pick her up and soothe her).  Last night she was asleep after 5 minutes of doing this. But, other nights it takes longer.  Good days and bad days!

Good luck!  Sorry I'm not much help.  

#3 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

We just started the routine this week.

Our house has been crazy and we finally have his room again to use.

Thank you for the suggestions. You are so lucky she sleeps so well.

Did you ha e problems keeping her awake during the day?

#4 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

All 3 of mine have nursed to sleep

usually about 830 or 9, Teegie gets her final diaper change, we sit in the big chair, and I either read or watch crap tv while she boobs it, and about 25-30 minutes later she is in a milk coma and I put her to bed.   

#5 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

She would take a lot of naps during the day, but still sleep through the night.  I think around 3-4 months is when she really started being more awake.  Even now at 8.5 months she takes her 3 hour nap (sometimes 1-2 hours) in the morning, 1-2 hour nap in the afternoon, 30 minute nap in the evening, and then sleeps 8/8:30 until we wake her up at 6. 

#6 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Everything I read says don't give them food as a way to sleep because they will always expect that.

Does anyone find that to be a problem?

#7 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

We give her oatmeal at 7/7:15 ish and her last bottle is between 7:30 and 8.  Sometimes she is so sleepy she falls asleep during her bottle.  I don't see it being a problem.  It's not every night that it happens.

I also found it interesting that some people suggest oatmeal/rice/etc. before bed because they will sleep better, but have been reading lots of articles (and our pediatrician even said) that it doesn't have any effect whatsoever on their sleep.

#8 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

We give it, and hey, I dunno if it's true or not, maybe it is if she sleeps so well. :lol:

#9 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,594 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Everything I read says don't give them food as a way to sleep because they will always expect that.

I did the same as Ravn with my 3 kids.

I don't see anything wrong with that when they're infants, and don't recall any ill effects as they grew older. 

#10 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,739 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

studies have shown that eating carbs before bed help people fall asleep faster.  dairy too, i believe.

i'm not sure if there's any effect on quality of sleep, though.

#11 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,338 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

As a non-parent with plenty of parenting experience, let the baby fuss. It's good for them.

#12 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

He is barely 2 months old. He is barely a gestational 1month.

I need to find that line between self comfort and upset.

I'll talk it over with camera man about feeding him right before bed time.

#13 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,941 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Why keep him up during the day when he wants to sleep?  Would that potentially make him over tired, cranky and difficult to sleep?

#14 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Why keep him up during the day when he wants to sleep? Would that potentially make him over tired, cranky and difficult to sleep?

I think it's a fine line between that and needing to have him play and learn. He needs his tummy time and other stimulation a to help develop skills and brain functions.

He took 3 hours again to fall asleep, and I finally caved and let him fall asleep on me.

Usually I give him a bottle at this time but tonight i am going to give him breast and see how he does. The only thing is he takes an hour to nurse.

He gave me a hard time at 2 am as well. I hope this is just the fits and stops all the books talk about.

#15 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,941 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

Ah, gotcha.  Have faith it will stop.  :heart:

#16 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Ah, gotcha. Have faith it will stop. :heart:

((((Teo))))

#17 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

I think it will all work out. :)

Emelia has been waking at 1am the past 2 nights...fuck you fevers and congestion! :ravn:

She finally has a normal temperature and is acting like she feels better today.  Hopefully tonight she won't wake!

#18 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

I think it will all work out. :)

Emelia has been waking at 1am the past 2 nights...fuck you fevers and congestion! :ravn:

She finally has a normal temperature and is acting like she feels better today. Hopefully tonight she won't wake!

I hope she feels better very soon. :heart:

#19 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

It's 11 and he will not sleep. We have been trying since 8 :sad:

#20 laylalime

laylalime
  • VibeTribe
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

OUr little one didnt start a nitght time routine until around 3 months. I wouldn't worry about it. Just start your night time routine a little later, tubby, bottle or boob, maybe around 9 if that seems to be reasonable. You can eventually start moving things back.  It sucks at first, but starting a routine is great, just dont expect any thing for a bit. It does get easier, trust me, ours just turned 3

#21 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

Baby moon did not take his afternoon nap today and went down easier tonight.

It was do wonderful to actually play with my son today.

I love being a mom!!!! :heart:

#22 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

i would offer advice... and it may work today... but tomorrow will be different.

no two days are ever the same until they are about 3. ha!  they change without warning. little crazy babies.

ha~

even at 5 .... the changes happen so quick. just a matter of keeping up (or staying awake, i should say) :) 

love that you love momhood. i love it too. :) <3

#23 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hi!

It sounds like you're trying too hard.  Just let him guide you a bit.  I understand the need for routine and that is important...night time is night time, don't turn on lights or TV...keep it quiet.  He will eventually get it.  Are you sleeping near him?  Or is he in a room by himself?

I have found that to be an issue with my kids.  Babies so little should be right near you, hearing your breathing, your sleeping...it gives them comfort and confidence.  Don't ever let a baby cry it out.  (I know you're not) but that teaches them betrayal and insecurities.  :(

ANd your baby will sense your frustrations.  Stay calm and understanding.  And absolutely feed him right before bed.  Yes, he will expect it every night......

.........for about a year.  :lol:   Let him guide you for the first 6 months.  It doesn't last forever and it will always work out.  Just try not to get frustrated....<3

#24 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

i would offer advice... and it may work today... but tomorrow will be different.

no two days are ever the same until they are about 3. ha!  they change without warning. little crazy babies.

ha~

even at 5 .... the changes happen so quick. just a matter of keeping up (or staying awake, i should say) :)

love that you love momhood. i love it too. :) <3

oh and this!

All we can do is offer up our experience and you can take it all and figure it all out for yourself and pass on what works for you.  This is our idea of the  "village" aspect in the 21st century.  Through the internet.  But like Jacks said, tomorrow is different.  parenting is a touch and go.  Pretty insane actually.  lol

#25 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

His routine is coming along.

We go into his room with soft bed time classical music playing.

I undress him and then give him a bath every few nights.

I am starting to learn baby massage and doing that after the bath or in place of the bath.

I read to him, hold him, and feed him.

We have a red light to keep him from being stimulated.

I lay him in his crib with his nightlight Mobile and half the time he sleeps the other half he doesn't.

On bad nights he sleeps in his rocker in our room.

On very bad nights I let him snuggle on me then after he is deep asleep put him in his crib or rocker depending on the situation.

Now that he is starting to be more alert during the day night time is not do bad.

But tonight is a new night. :wink:

#26 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

I love your attitude.  IT's amazing how amazing you women are right off the bat.  I had such adjustment issues with being so young and so not ready to be a single mom and just not ready to grow up.  You are amazing and ispiring.  I wish I had the internet when I had my first babies.  I think it would have helped me to not make so many mistakes that I made.  But I guess I wouldn't be the mom I am today had I not made those mistakes.  :shrugs:

#27 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Have you tried a swaddler?  That was a lifesaver for us.  That and not trying too hard to settle into a routine so early in life- things change so much and so fast.

#28 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

Baby moon likes only to be partly swaddled.

He likes his arms and legs to be free but the rest of his body to be wrapped up. :lol:

We swaddle, we bag blanket, and even let him have a blanket if he is in his bassinet since its on an angle.

Yesterday was a total melt down day. I could not put him down with out crying. I think I only had two maybe three times he was ok.

I think he is growing because he also ate every 2 hours yesterday and into today.

Today he gets a round of vaccinations.... so I am sure I will be in for a cranky baby day.  I plan to lay in bed with him and nurse him when ever he wants.

I just want to snuggle and sleep with him. :bed:

#29 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

That was how Emelia liked to be swaddled....just her bottom half.  She hated her arms constricted and liked them free! :lol:

Now that Emelia is feeling better she's back to her normal sleeping, thank god.  We have been putting her to bed with her favorite teether and she falls asleep holding it. :)

#30 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:39 AM

I am so glad she is feeling better.

#31 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

"I keep trying to keep him up but he just wants to sleep." A routine with an infant is a little beyond me...I nursed, he slept,l I nursed some more maybe I slept and he was awake and I slept but be were both safe in a big ole bed together. My husband was on a schedule needing to work and all, but at 2 months...we mostly ate and slept together until daddy came home and hhe got to eat but then it was time to play all together and then we all went to bed closer to 11.Is daddy n ot home til 5 or 6 or 7? Maybe he just misses his daddy.Mornings were play time, but always in bed  and always had full potential to turn into a nap. You are saying 8pm your trying to put him down, but when is the last time any of us wanted to go to bed at 8pm on a regular basis? I don't know- we always had bedtime closer to 11...my husband came home and was fed by 6- so that was the 5 hours he was going to get to bond with his family- If I just needed my kids to sleep so I could have some peace- I put them in the carseat that strapped into the stroller and started the dishwasher. White noise. Find it for those times you need it- but if you have the luxury to stay home- I don't know conform less to your needs and more to what he wants. No sleep habits are made in the first few months- each individual in the family basically tried to get as much sleep and food and peace as possible and if you're lucky it coincides...but really that's not until later, and even then, it's about being adaptable, or developing very good coping skills. That's what I remember. It's about finding the flow and not trying to force it.  

I didn't have the earlier bedtimes, but my happiest times in life were waking and playing in bed until late late noon in the morning, snuggling and kissing, and such.

#32 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

Nah.  I nursed, and when I needed to sleep and they wanted to eat, I rolled over and gave them a boob and they ate happily and I slept beautifully with both of them. There are no lasting eating effects that I can see- it was a symbiotic relationship.

I'd have been a great  wet nurse. :lol: But past weening as young toddlers when they only drank from a cup anyhow....I don't see any ill effects. Abby isn't looking for a snack before bed now because I gave her the boob hoping she would fall asleep. 

But every family is different and you'll figure out what works for yours, just try not to stress about what you should or shouldn't do and do the best you can to be sure everyone is getting their primary needs met. It's all you can do.=) 

#33 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

I just want to snuggle and sleep with him. :bed:

I'd go with  that. 

#34 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

As a non-parent with plenty of parenting experience, let the baby fuss. It's good for them.

Perhaps that's where your mistrust comes from. :lol: (Erickson) 

I remember my first baby being 4 or 5 months old and my mother in law telling me I needed to stop holding him so much. Yeah. Like that was going to happen, cause that's what babies need: Less affection. :lol:

#35 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

I am so glad that we have a routine/schedule.  Yes there are times it gets messed up, but oh my goodness, if we don't stick to our normal one, holy shit is she thrown off.  Thank goodness for daycare helping to establish one for during the day.  We learned to follow what she does there, and she's happy as a clam.  She did very well with the time change this weekend...I was surprised! 

Newest development...standing up in the crib.  Ack.  Gotta lower to the last setting tonight. :(  No more kissing her sweet face before bed (I don't think I will be able to reach over! :lol:  )

#36 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

I'm thinking routines are good.
Our house has been stressful and in chaos with the exterminators the last few weeks.
I'm hoping it settles down and we can settle into a grove soon.

#37 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

It will....Give him some time.  Around 3-6 months you'll have a SOLID routine that will hopefully last a lifetime with some minor glitches.  Humans release sleep hormones at night...it's natural.  Newborns don't have those hormones pumping yet.  3 months.   Some earlier, some later.  It'll always happen with consistency.

#38 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Baby Moon has turned into some sort of sleep protestor!

The books all say this happens around the 6 week mark....

He will not sleep at night time.... last few nights have been crazy.

Last two nights he will only fall asleep nursing.

#39 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

sounds about right.  :lol:

#40 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Baby moon likes only to be partly swaddled.

We thought this too, with the first one, right at about 4-6 weeks we thought Ana didn't care for it.  2 weeks later we started it again as results weren't changing and she took to it.  the waving of the arms and legs was her telling us to get that shit wrapped up.   She didn't sleep the night completely for 11 months.  It was all mostly acid-reflux and digestion issues.   that was fucking AWFUL.

Molly's a creature of habit so far (at 5 weeks) and for her, sleep begets sleep.  the better she is sleeping shorter naps during the day, the better chance we have for a longer sleep at night.,  if she's fussy all day, she'll be fussy all night.

and routine is the key to it all.  if the house has lots going on keeping you from your routines it's harder to keep it going with the baby.  Once the hectic time is over, work that routine, and you should see the results.

and her sleep follows feedings ALWAYS right now.  feed -> sleep -> pee -> be awake for a while.  We haven't even considered putting her in a separate room yet. We've got her next to the bed in a 'co-sleeper' crib.  we've had to fuss with propping up the head end of the bed, and we have a vibrating machine in there too, which has really helped her settle when disturbed by gas, or spitting up.  

there are sound machines in my room, the hallway, and Ana's room.  it's a wonder I can get to sleep. :lol:

keep with it, you'll see her signs, and you'll get it.  it's so hard the first time around, you tend to question everything.   also know, the book can be wrong quite a bit to.  it's not written for every kid, just the good ones. :lol:

#41 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:24 AM

Yup.  Every baby is so different.  Every routine is so different.  It's a learn as you go.  And it's great.  <3

Congrats to you again Jme.  :)

#42 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

thanks Wende.   :cheesy:

#43 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

Either I'm crazy forgetful or I didn't know....CONGRATS JME! 

#44 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

And on the routine note...the past few weeks Emelia has been super tired right before bed, but wide awake once we put her in her crib.  For a week we put her in, let her cry a few minutes, ran in, picked her up, put her back down, and she fell asleep.

Still going strong, and she's falling right asleep now when we put her in her crib.

Silly babies.  They like to keep you on your toes. :funny1:

I can't quite believe she is going to be 10 months tomorrow! :eek:

Where is the time going?  It's going too fast!!! :heart:

#45 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

thanks G, I had a thread on the first page, but I didn't post any pictures.  people only remember babies that they see pictures of. :lol:

#46 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

I think I remember posting in it.  I don't know.  I'm all confused these days. :lol:

#47 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

The last three nights he has only been waking once during the night to feed.

We moved his bed time routine up to 5:30. By 6:30 he is bathed and on the breast. Most nights he refuses to sleep till the sun goes down.

The first night he didn't wake I was like omg is he ok. :lol:

Hopefully soon this will all be second nature for us.

#48 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,594 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

It will be.  :heart:

#49 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Yup, and then they're teenagers and you're shaking their beds and pouring water on their heads to get them up.  ;)  :lol:

#50 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

true story~