Just another day on the road

• Please log in to reply
1001 replies to this topic

#1 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:03 AM

Today was not unlike so many other days. I began the day in southern Virginia, having parked at a MacDonalds overnight as the Truckstop I had hoped to park at had been blown away by a tornado last week. I headed north on I-81 towards Winchester, VA, to deliver a load of barbeque grills. As I got up to the 195 milepost, there was a backup. Hundreds of vehicles were crawling along a a mile an hour, if that. We were routed off the highway there and onto a side road for five miles or so, then back onto the "big road". only got delayed a half hour or so, and since I began the day early, I wasn't late for my delivery. On the way to my next load, I headed back down I-81 past the increasingly large back up headed north. There wasn't any delay headed South, but the backup was now at least 20 miles, and that was before the detour...that being about 18 miles now. The trouble with the northbound traffic was caused by a 24 foot deep sink hole that had the highway closed to traffic. I knew it was OK, cause today was "sink hole de Mayo"

werd

#2 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:12 AM

One Lane Reopened On I-81; Traffic Backups Remain

UPDATED STORY: Thursday, 4 p.m. - Traffic is moving again on Interstate 81 in northern Rockbridge County after the right lane reopened earlier this afternoon. However, massive backups continue on both the interstate and on U.S. 11 from Lexington north.

Susan Hammond with the Virginia Department of Transporation said it will still be several hours before work at the sinkhole site at mile marker 196.9 northbound will be completed and both lanes reopened. Backups on the interstate have stretched for up to 15 miles today. Travelers should still expect significant delays in the area.

The left lane was closed late afternoon on Wednesday following the discovery of the sinkhole in the median and left lane. Both lanes were closed after midnight on Thursday. This location is just north of the Timber Ridge exit.

Motorists have been detoured at exit 195 and are traveling north on U.S. 11 and reentering I-81 at exit 213 north of Greenville. However, many motorists have been getting off the interstate before then and traveling on the Lexington bypass.

The sinkhole location is within the truck climbing lane project.

The Virginia Department of Transportation’s on-call contractor for these repairs is General Excavation Inc. of Warrenton. VDOT and contractor crews have been working around the clock to fix the sinkhole. Pavement was cut away from the sinkhole area and excavation is complete. The sinkhole was then backfilled with stone and earth material to stabilize the hole and now pavement is being applied to the area.

The Virginia Department of Transportation’s on-call contractor for these repairs is General Excavation Inc. of Warrenton.

#3 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,818 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:01 AM

I knew it was OK, cause today was "sink hole de Mayo"

:rolleyes::lol:

crazy thing that though, 20 mile backup... jeez

#4 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

It's always nicer when the big backup is in the other direction....:funny1:

#5 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:46 AM

today, like so many others, began early. I had parked at a truckstop in downtown Nashville. 5am local time, leaving around 5:40 to ge4t to a nearby 6am appointment. Got there and...heyyyyy...nobody there to unload me! I waited 10 hrs at their front gate and then returned to the truckstop...a big 10 mile day! And the good news is I will probably get to deliver the (load of beer) on monday..:rolleyes:

#6 cjtpaint

cjtpaint
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:58 AM

PD, I tried it once. I drove a 36' straight truck from CT to GA. I was doing a favor for a friend who was moving. I had a time at the GW bridge at 7am rush hour, that rental handled like an old whore. I flew home from GA.

#7 cjtpaint

cjtpaint
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:21 AM

One funny point, I hit the weigh station in NC, I was hauling lawn furniture, the guy said, are you empty boy( light load)
He was across the highway in the tower. I said, no son. He, asked where I was from, I said I was a 45 year old from CT. He said have a nice day.

#8 cjtpaint

cjtpaint
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:25 AM

#9 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,373 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

If Tabbooma was on the road he would sing many songs to himself, probably lots of Willie tunes too. Oh and Tabbooma likes your on road diary, please keep them coming, nothing boring about it, if you could add a pitcure from time to time that would be cool too :wink:

#10 hippiechickme

hippiechickme
  • VibeTribe
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

today, like so many others, began early. I had parked at a truckstop in downtown Nashville. 5am local time, leaving around 5:40 to ge4t to a nearby 6am appointment. Got there and...heyyyyy...nobody there to unload me! I waited 10 hrs at their front gate and then returned to the truckstop...a big 10 mile day! And the good news is I will probably get to deliver the (load of beer) on monday..:rolleyes:

My husband is a trucker too. He spent all day Friday in Kansas waiting for his load. He finally got it at 11PM.
At least now he is headed east. Maybe I will see him for a minute this week.
The life of a trucker is not fun!

#11 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,398 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

ever notice any arrows of neon and flashing marquees out on main street, piedoh?

#12 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:59 AM

ever notice any arrows of neon and flashing marquees out on main street, piedoh?

yeah, saw them, been there...:cool:

I'll try to post some pics...Today: sat all day in Nashville...kind of in limbo cause the weekend staff really can't do anything that anything to do with actual decisions...

So, I got some extra sleep (always nice) and did a laundry.

Dinner was the soup bar...cream of broccoli with cheese...thick and tasty.

#13 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,926 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:18 AM

You and I need to get together and write a travel book...

#14 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

I need to edit some pics down to 97.7 kb.....that's pretty small. I guess I need to upload the pics to a pics place and then insert the image link, no?

#15 Beany

Beany
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:04 PM

Love your stories, PD. Hope to see you at vibes.:rose:

#16 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

thinking about it...don't really want to camp...I need my sleep. :smile:

#17 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

10944, 40 oz bottles of colt 45....

take one down and pass it around....10943 bottles of colt 45 40 oz'ers on the wall....:mrgreen:

#18 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

10944, 40 oz bottles of colt 45....

take one down and pass it around....10943 bottles of colt 45 40 oz'ers on the wall....:mrgreen:

that's an important delivery!!!

#19 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

496 igloo coolers to kentucky....

#20 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,373 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:16 AM

:smile:

#21 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:22 AM

in Tennessee now, loading...

headed for the Allentown area...

sang a little "Mama Tried" today....

#22 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:49 AM

350 miles today....crappy Monday...at least I found a parking space. :idee noire:

#23 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,926 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:56 AM

I've heard there's amazing truck stop food in Arkansas...

#24 Drop_o_Rain

Drop_o_Rain

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

I often think of you and Red when I pass truckers on the entrance ramp asleep in my neighborhood!

#25 hippiechickme

hippiechickme
  • VibeTribe
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:59 PM

My husband is coming home today!!!! He has been on the road for 3 straight weeks now

#26 hippiechickme

hippiechickme
  • VibeTribe
  • 670 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:37 AM

Yay!!!! He is home till Friday!!!

#27 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:47 AM

502 today. At a rest area in West Virginia....

#28 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:50 AM

I often think of you and Red when I pass truckers on the entrance ramp asleep in my neighborhood!

it's nice not to mention it...I mean to the authorities. Some states go out of their way to bother/fine truckers for using the ramps....sometimes it's the only choice.

#29 Drop_o_Rain

Drop_o_Rain

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:40 AM

eh... i see trucks lined up there all the time...
the BP gas station is there at the top of the ramp
and I stop there for my morning coffee......
and chat with state highway patrol....
apparently "our" authorities don't care who is sleeping where in my neighborhood ;)

#30 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

in breinigsville, pa now, getting 24 garden tractors unloaded...then on to hazleton, and then Michigan....

#31 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

Channahon, Il, a dusty little armpit where we have a drop yard...waiting on a load to get me home. I told them Wednesday, that sending me to upper Michigan wouldn't get me home on time...They weren't very sympathetic.

So....three stops in Michigan with Office Smax onboard...and ending up in Petoskey, Mi....nice northern lake Michigan place...Came south to pick up 1071 40# bags of salt for water softeners....
And now, I wait....tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock....

#32 hippiechickme

hippiechickme
  • VibeTribe
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

My man left yesterday, overnight run from Hartford Ct to Columbus Oh. He is now waiting, load to leave tomorrow Columbus Oh to Kansas City Ka, Then Lawrence Ka back to east coast somewhere.

#33 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

PieDoh hope you got a little rest on your Birthday!

#34 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:41 AM

not really, did a long day. It's ok, miles=money.

561 today...stopped at StonyRidge,OH...

#35 Col_Sandoz

Col_Sandoz
  • VibeTribe
  • 760 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:01 AM

PieDoh....if ever in the Knoxville area :jamguy:

#36 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:41 AM

PieDoh....if ever in the Knoxville area :jamguy:

There often (now watch, I'll be eveerywhere BUT there)

which end of town? east---398? or 374?

#37 cjtpaint

cjtpaint
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:20 AM

Something of interest pd , I drove the three speed. It could do a back flip,

#38 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,926 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:23 AM

I've always wondered why they did away with Three on the Tree. :lmao:

#39 cjtpaint

cjtpaint
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:29 AM

first gear could kill the tires, and assorted neck vertebra,

#40 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,926 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:41 AM

It loos difficult to learn.

Posted Image

#41 cjtpaint

cjtpaint
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:05 AM

Josh, before that gleam in Pop's eye. It was three on floor,Hurst. You had to use both feet, like the Lotus Elan I raced. You could spin that love and finish.

#42 Col_Sandoz

Col_Sandoz
  • VibeTribe
  • 760 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

There often (now watch, I'll be eveerywhere BUT there)

which end of town? east---398? or 374?

Couple of exits east of 374...I'll keep an eye on the travel log:pimp:

#43 hippiechickme

hippiechickme
  • VibeTribe
  • 670 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

There is always a rest stop and a hot meal waiting for you in NH PieDoh!

#44 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:06 PM

There is always a rest stop and a hot meal waiting for you in NH PieDoh!

Ooohh...NOW yer Talkin' ....:wink:

406 so far today...and waiting on a swap to get me closer to home.

A classmate drove a nice red GTO with the three speed, 389 pontiac..

And I knew guys who had: 409 impala, and a 327 '57 chevy.. The chevy caught on fire when we went for a spin.....

#45 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:40 AM

Can't tell ya the miles for today...am home and it's "only" two days late....

prob, oh, 285....

lost my court case today...(would've helped if I could have been there in person)....$$$

Opened a bottle of bordeaux... a nice '08...

sauteed me some chickin'.....

listenin' to jazz on the radio....

got an appointment for a massage on Wednesday......:rose:

have written $1100 in bills so far.....off to mail them now......

#46 foo

foo
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:19 AM

who are you? :rolling:

#47 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

who are you? :rolling:

sometimes I wonder...

#48 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,111 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:55 AM

I enjoy your stories too.. I love to drive, but I couldnt imaging driving so much and being gone for long periods of time. so I have a LOT of respect for truck drivers.

PieDoh, you plannin on going to vibes this year?

#49 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

I enjoy your stories too.. I love to drive, but I couldnt imaging driving so much and being gone for long periods of time. so I have a LOT of respect for truck drivers.

PieDoh, you plannin on going to vibes this year?

Sure thinkin about it...best year since my last one ...'05

#50 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

It was Sunday afternoon when I was headed to swap loads with another driver, so I could be closer to home when I emptied out,...if too far away, then they don't like to let you just deadhead home...Yes, you just saw deadhead and wondered...hmm, is Piedoh funnin around? Well, no. When you travel anywhere empty, it's called deadheading....

So....I'm headed eastbound in Pennsylvania on I-80 and it's pouring cats and dogs out...I knew, because I stopped for a break and when I got out of the truck, I stepped into a poodle!

Oh my!

All of a sudden! I see vehicles brake lights coming on and dozens of cars and trucks are all slamming on the brakes and swerving. It's pretty rare that you actually see this sort of thing. I was going slower than the speed limit, and it was a good thing, cause if I was going 5mph faster I might have hit the truck in front of me. To our left on the shoulder was a car that had gone off the road and flipped over...maybe once, maytbe twice...and the driver and passenger were just getting out of the accident, no injuries I assumed and they were already on a cell phone calling who knows.
You have to appreciate how fast something like this occurs...vehicles doing a brainspeed ballet to avoid each other...as I came to a near halt, I looked in my rearview mirror..(west coast...the big ones on the side) to see that a pickup truck had perceived the mayhem a second too late and had lost control of his vehicle and went off the road, onto the shoulder and into a wall of rock. Crunch!..... My first impression was "travelling too fast for conditions"....and probably what the State Police officer would have told him too....

Please, people, if it's raining out, don't travel at the speed limit. Just because a sign says you can do 65, doesn't in anyway mean that you should. Slow down , even as much as 15-20 mph less than the posted limit.

On the other hand, don't use your four-ways unless you actually have an emergency....in some states it's against the law to travel with your emergency lights on...