Documentary Club: Season 2, Episode 5: The Power of Nightmares

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

The Power of Nightmares, subtitled The Rise of the Politics of Fear, is a BBC documentary film series, written and produced by Adam Curtis. Its three one-hour parts consist mostly of a montage of archive footage with Curtis's narration. The series was first broadcast in the United Kingdom in late 2004 and has subsequently been broadcast in multiple countries and shown in several film festivals, including the 2005 Cannes Film Festival.

The films compare the rise of the Neo-Conservative movement in the United States and the radical Islamist movement, making comparisons on their origins and claiming similarities between the two. More controversially, it argues that the threat of radical Islamism as a massive, sinister organised force of destruction, specifically in the form of al-Qaeda, is a myth perpetrated by politicians in many countries—and particularly American Neo-Conservatives—in an attempt to unite and inspire their people following the failure of earlier, more utopian ideologies.

The Power of Nightmares has been praised by film critics in both Britain and the United States. Its message and content have also been the subject of various critiques and criticisms from conservatives and progressives.

For this stint, we're only watching part 1. For those who find this enthralling, I implore you to watch all three parts.

I'd like to focus on the birth of radical Islamists and also Neoconservatives from where Curtis takes the presentation.

I'll comment my thoughts once everyone has seen it and commented.

#2 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Oooh, looking forward to this one. will get to it over the weekend, for sure.

#3 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,609 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,180 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Viewed that above plus the second installment, looking forward to number 3.

Very interesting how short sighted these both theories have proven to be.

#5 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,609 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:53 AM

Rumsfeld @ 26:00...

frostythe-snoman03.jpg

Busy. Busy. Busy!

#6 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,180 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

Checked out #3 as well, lots of food for thought.

#7 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

k, Tim and I are going to watch right now....

edit, so the vid kept freezin up on us and it was late so we gave up. did get to see about 30 minutes. VERY interesting and plan to watch all of it.

#8 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Much as it angers me, I'm glad I watched this.

Not really sure what to say by way of commentary...I was aware of some of the content previously, but this pulls it all together quite well.

Fascinating parallel between Radical Islam and the NeoCons.

Will be watching the other two parts.

#9 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Ran the last two parts in the background this afternoon.

Part 3 :angry: prolly oughta be a requirement to be able to vote. Though most folks likely would be ok with the tradeoff of liberty for "security." Prolly.

#10 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,180 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

Part 3 really brought it all together.

#11 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Part 1 and 3 were eyeopening for me...and I thought my eyes were pretty open.

#12 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

It's one of those understandings I had to go ALL the way through to wrap my head around. Including spending hours digging up information regarding the trial of the alleged 98 embassy bomber who told federal officials that Bin Laden was the "master mind".

It's one of those rabbit holes you dont climb back out of all the way. Because once you understand how manufactured the threat of Al Qaeda is, and how that threat was packaged and sold, it's an unavoidable consequence to completely and utterly distrust the government in every fashion. If they are willing, and I care not the regime that started it, to lie on this scale for power gains adn grabs, you can bet it all in that they will lie about everything and anything.

It leads to so many other questions.

Who were the rebels in Lybia?

Who are the rebels in Syria?

What does the PNAC have to do with it?

Is this a giant set up by an imperial regime?

Do we have a shadow government?

#13 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,180 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Lots of questions to which we may never know the answers, until the whole shit house goes up in smoke.

#14 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

I suppose we should get our kicks then.