19 replies to this topic

#1 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

I know, move it to L&S.

No but really. It's time to root my vzw galaxy nexus stock 4.1.1

Any pro-tips, toolkits, words of wisdom, horror stories or triumph tales are welcome.

kthnxbai

#2 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:22 AM

wugfresh nexus root toolkit, I use it with the Nexus 7.

http://www.wugfresh.com/

#3 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

That's the one I keep going back to. I'm going to wait until he finishes 1.6.3

#4 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

I am waiting for that version too, but used past ones.

#5 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

He just released 1.6.3.

#6 megmyster

megmyster
  • VibeTribe
  • 987 posts
  • LocationNo place, like the right time

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:21 AM

nerds :kashmir:

#7 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

VaMotXt894GfxLovTre.jpg

#8 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,863 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Is rooting better than tethering are they similar?

Or is my stupid showing again?

#9 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Rooting is different than tethering.

Rooting is similar to becoming "Administrator" in Windows, a way to allow for greater control of the Operating system on the phone.

Tethering allows you to use your phone's cellular wirelesss network for other devices that need network access, like laptops and tablets. A portable wifi hotspot. It used to be the case that you needed the extra control of Rooting to allow tethering on an android phone.

Basically rooting lets you "Allow or Deny" the Tethering app access to the phone's cellular network that would normally be blocked by the operating system by default if it was not rooted. Rooting allows you to make the choice to allow or not to allow.

#10 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,863 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Very cool...

I am actually learning on these boards!

Thanks!

#11 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

My Galxy Nexus (android version 4.1.1) lets me use FoxFi.  No rooting necessary to make it a hot spot

#12 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I used Fox Fi too, tethering along with some other features like Screenshots used to require root are now not requiring root access in new android iterations.

I usually use Open Garden for seemless less power heavy tethering, but not every apps sees the network over bluetooth which is what open garden uses.

For a new one The new app Carbon Backup is a app that allows you to back up android phone apps and app data, that used to be a function of a root only app prior to last month when Carbon came out.

BTW, I recommend Carbon for non rooted users to back up that ass, er, phone.

#13 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

excellent on the 1.6.3.  also looking at an option phishNtrips recommended over the weekend.

GREAT to know about Carbon. I'll get that one tonight.

i have no interest in tethering currently (i'm sure verizon will stop that as soon as I start it, like they did on my X), just looking to get root.

#14 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

A court ruling has stopped Verizon and all other carriers to stop blocking Tethering apps and tethering in general.  So they no longer can stop you from tethering.

#15 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,863 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

Now if only the govt would prohibit carriers from
slowing down bit rates (?) on broadband for folks who come close to their limit...not over just using what they paid for!!!

#16 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Ooh, good to know Chip. Thanks.

#17 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

A court ruling has stopped Verizon and all other carriers to stop blocking Tethering apps and tethering in general.  So they no longer can stop you from tethering.

did some reading up on this... in this Q/A, I'll have to pay them more money to do it... but I'll keep reading to see what's what.  it's not a big deal currently, so I'll keep reading up on it.  My company pays for the wireless service, so I need to make sure I don't do anything dumb.

http://news.cnet.com...ans-to-you-faq/

What if I have an old Verizon unlimited data plan? Can I download an app and avoid the $20 tethering fee too?

Unfortunately, the answer to this question is no. Verizon says that customers under the unlimited plan are required by the company's terms of service to pay an additional fee to tether their device.

#18 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

did some reading up on this... in this Q/A, I'll have to pay them more money to do it... but I'll keep reading to see what's what. it's not a big deal currently, so I'll keep reading up on it. My company pays for the wireless service, so I need to make sure I don't do anything dumb.

http://news.cnet.com...ans-to-you-faq/

What if I have an old Verizon unlimited data plan? Can I download an app and avoid the $20 tethering fee too?
Unfortunately, the answer to this question is no. Verizon says that customers under the unlimited plan are required by the company's terms of service to pay an additional fee to tether their device.
Yes, but most apps that tether would not give anything away to Verizon that they are being used, so chances are that you will never get caught, but there is a chance.

I have been using it, but I seem to recall I am on the old Business Unlimited Data plan when my old work went Bring Your Own Device and I needed enterprise email. Verizon said for the particular type they would raise my rate $15 and put me on Business.

Now according to things I have read as the Business Unlimited I am able to tether under the ruling, if I still had the old grandfathered consumer unlimited I would be breaking the terms of service. But unlikely to be caught.

If your company pays for Business, the ruling states what it does with the network is up to the business.

#19 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

right on.  it's worth playing with, and I'm not going to over use it, just that once or twice that I'm without a wi-fi and need me some net.

carbon's working.  I've got some play store money to burn, so I may get the full version... primarily to restore from drive.

#20 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

I find Carbon much easier and intuitive vs. Titanium, with no root desktop and cloud backup for paid is great.  Same Developer just started developed a new "superuser" app, which sound better than the others.

http://androidcommun...-beta-20130225/