90 replies to this topic

#1 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

So Joecool just posted this on fb

11404_4418856511372_461022576_n.jpg

Made me think.. it would be nice to have a go-to thread to learn about who owns what, what companies are worth supporting and which are wroth boycotting.

I have a bunch of info that I'll post over the coming days but if you have any, it would be great to have it here!

THIS IS A GOOD BRAND.

GroupTribeHummus.jpg

#2 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

prop37-poster-e1345665034923.jpg

#3 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

Common brands bought by those who thought they were buying organic and independent:

Naked Juice owned by Pepsi

New Chapter vitamins owned by Proctor and Gamble  (Blue Bonnet is a good brand)

Tom's of Maine owned by Colgate

Muir Glen and Cascadia Farm owned by General Mills

Back to Nature and Boca owned by Kraft

Kellogg owns Kashi (which has gmos)

Honest Tea and Odwalla owned by Coke

Green and Black chocolate: Cadbury

Stonyfield (I really like the CEO of Stonyfield)  owned by  Dannon

Burt's Bees owned by Clorox

Ben and Jerry's owned by Unilver

Bear Naked Granola owned by Kellogg

Horizon Organics owned by Deans (who fought gmo labeling)

#4 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Anyone want to start of list of socially conscious, ethically sound companies to support? Please add those of which you are aware

I think? these are good companies: Amy's, Woodstock Farms, Eden Organics, Smart Juice, Nature's Path, Aubrey Organics, Dr. Bronners...

#5 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

If you care about the palm oil issue

palm.jpg

orangutan-resuce-image.jpg

http://www.angelfire...almoilproducts/

#6 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,558 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

See, this is what I was hoping to find in a SmartPhone app.

#7 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

Yes, Gary this would be awesome. The ability to scan the product in the store and access this info.

#8 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

no crappy ingredients - CT company and working to eliminate gmo ("We are working very hard to get all of our products made with non-GMO ingredients. Some companies claim non-GMO without being certain that 100% of the ingredients used are non-GMO. Currently the potatoes and sunflower oil we use to make our kettle chips are non-GMO. Threfore, our Original Salted, Lightly Salted Reduced Fat, Zesty Jalapeno, and Salt & Cracked Pepper are non-GMO.)

deep-river-original-salted-bag-front.jpg

#9 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

Love this thread, though most of what I could add is already above. :)

#10 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,558 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Yes, Gary this would be awesome. The ability to scan the product in the store and access this info.

Sounds like you and Mr. Beek are ahead of the curve on the Fooducate app. Will be interested to know how useful you find it.

If it doesn't track/warn of all the things you'd like -- I'd like to try to find an app that does and/or get this company to add the functions. ~ Lists of what not to buy don't work well for me, my mind isn't efficient at details so I need systems.

#11 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Tribe Hummus is always cheaper than Sabra, ive always preffered it as well....

#12 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

no crappy ingredients - CT company and working to eliminate gmo ("We are working very hard to get all of our products made with non-GMO ingredients. Some companies claim non-GMO without being certain that 100% of the ingredients used are non-GMO. Currently the potatoes and sunflower oil we use to make our kettle chips are non-GMO. Threfore, our Original Salted, Lightly Salted Reduced Fat, Zesty Jalapeno, and Salt & Cracked Pepper are non-GMO.)

deep-river-original-salted-bag-front.jpg

These are great tasting chips.  :jamguy:

I'm having some with my sandwich now.    

#13 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

The salt and pepper ones are really tasty, and I don't know of another brand that does them with potatoes, oil, salt and pepper, without adding a bunch more corn-derived crap.

#14 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

true dat

#15 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

Canola oil is made from Rapeseed which used to be used to run motors.  Human consumption is not recommended.  The Rapeseed plant is poisonous to most living things.  Yet, it is used greatly by the name of "canola oil"  EEEEEEEEK.

#16 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

I wish more people would catch on to this.  For the childrens sake.  I met a guy who does not care what he feeds his baby because his rebuttal is "I eat it and I"m never sick so who gives a fuck"  Yea, great.  Poor kids.

#17 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

almond-sea-salt-home.jpg

Please support Chocolove!

read more here: https://www.chocolove.com/social/

After watching The Dark Side of Chocolate, I hope no one purchases from Nestle, Mars or Cargill again

http://www.filmsfora...chocolate_2010/

#18 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

http://www.behindthe.../en-us?redirect

#19 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

420313_10151278610111931_1236506828_n.pn

#20 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Canola oil is made from Rapeseed which used to be used to run motors.  Human consumption is not recommended.  The Rapeseed plant is poisonous to most living things.  Yet, it is used greatly by the name of "canola oil"  EEEEEEEEK.

I am not disagreeing with you, but before you use the "used to run motors", any vegetable oil can be used to run a diesel engine.  Canola just has the best bang for the buck considering per acre yield of oil and combustion cleanliness.

#21 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Vegetable oil is nasty.  Rapeseed is even nastier.  WTF is Canola oil?  Eeek.

Anything that you can run your motor with is not something we should be eating.  But then again, that is just an opinion. 

#22 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

grrr.  Tim, Rice Dream is owned by Heinz   :joker:

http://nutritionwond...rate-hierarchy/

#23 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,802 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

So sad. I've also looked up products (Tom's toothpaste, etc) and it makes me just cry when I see my favorite brands have been bought out by big corporate slime. 

And that whole 'canola oil' thing - I'd like to see some information about that. I tout using canola to anyone who will listen. Everyone jumped on the olive oil bandwagon, and I want to slap them. You can't cook (I should specify - fry) with olive oil, because it has a very low smoke temp, and it chemically breaks down into trans fats (chemist/science nerd here...  :wavey: ) Now that being said, canola is right up there with soy as far as GMO, so only buy organic. Has a much higher smoke temp, so it doesn't break down, and it has all the same cholesterol benefits as olive...

I guess the best is still fall back on what you grow and what's at the market, and minimize the rest. :(

#24 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

I can't copy and paste for some reason.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

just google "the dangers of canola oil" or "the truth about canola oil" or just "what really is canola oil".  Lot's of interesting info out there.

I stopped using anything with Canola and it's hard because they put it in EVERYTHING~!  (and that right there tells me something about "canola oil" cheap to make so they spend the money ADVERTISING HOW AMAZING IT IS)  but it's not.  Once you see where it comes from. 

And how the heck can you get  "organic canola oil"?  How can that even be possible?  :confused:  anyway, to me it's super nasty.  But to each their own. :)

#25 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,802 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Ok, I did as you suggested, and I'd like to share my information with you. Again, I have an extensive background in chemistry, so I could dig pretty deep into this.

Yes, canola oil comes from rapeseed oil. However, comparing the two is kinda like comparing hemp and marijuana, as far as THC content. Yes, rapeseed in it's original form is dangerous. It contains high levels of euricic acid, which can be toxic to humans/animals. The plants were cross-bred down to contain less than 1% of the content ( around 0.5%, down from around 50%) and was renamed canola. This was not genetically modified, like they do with many things today, it was selectively bred over the course of many years to achieve this level. The canola oil that contains <1% of this euricic acid is very safe to eat, and as I mentioned before, is one of our "healthy" oils, like olive, where it won't jack up your cholesterol like your standard vegetable and peanut.....

To produce an organic canola oil is just like any other organic food product - it is grown without the use of pesticides, and is not genetically modified. It's a plant... You can find it in many grocery stores, and most definitely in a local co-op or health food store/natural grocery like Whole Foods.

Now, the new martketing ploy as advertising it as this great health benefit annoys me. It's the newest "olive oil" or whatnot that they try to push on people. It's still fat. It's just better than most fats. (ie if you're going to use oil, use this vs another type...)

Anyways, like I said, I've got a heavy science background, and about 5 years ago, started the transition to organic food, so it's a pretty good combination I have as far as finding/translating information. I'm not trying to get in a pissing match. I'm not like that. I will say this though, if you do have questions about this, or something else, by all means, send me a message. The science of food is of particular interest to me, and if I don't already know something I will look it up, if anything for my own knowledge, as I'm always trying to find out more.

#26 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

grrr.  Tim, Rice Dream is owned by Heinz   :joker:

http://nutritionwond...rate-hierarchy/

Not that Wikipedia is necessarily the most reliable source of info, but according to the Hain Wiki page, Heinz sold its interest in 2005. :)

#27 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

The more I read on Canola, the more I will steer clear of it.  It's very much a genetically modified product. The fact that it never even existed until the 1980's tells me enough.  I understand the Acid content.  I understand your science but, the fact that Canola is a made up oil from a very poisonous plant (there is no such thing as a "canola plant") that they are PUTTING in everything because of how cheap it is? Eee.  Heck, It's banned from any baby formula's, it's banned from our pet foods that we sell.....It's right up there with HFCS.  The two of those things are very North American ingredients.  And well, our health of this nation pretty much speaks for itself.  I have been reading about Canola for quite a long time, in hopes to sway my decision.  Do you know how much more EASY it would be to just agree with you on the safety of Canola (Canadian oil)?  So much easier.  But, alas, it's not that easy to me.  I will however, stick to my olive oil. 

#28 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Thank you Ski chick, I appreciate our conversation we have going.  :)

ANd as I said before "Welcome to the boards, there is no turning back now"  :lol:  <3

#29 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,802 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

ANd as I said before "Welcome to the boards, there is no turning back now"  :lol:  <3

:panic: Run away! Run away!

Haha!!! Nah, I like it here :D

#30 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:39 AM

I'm looking into Canola now because of this thread. Not liking what I am reading

It's refined using hexane?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexane

#31 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:06 AM

this may be helpful: http://www.onegreenp...ressing-making/

cooking with olive oil: http://www.oliveoils...ating-olive-oil

#32 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

It's nasty stuff.

Oooo, coconut oil?  Yum.

#33 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:50 AM

Hexane is what they use to process soy products too I believe?   Soy is another one I stay away from.  Or, at least try.

#34 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,802 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hexane is what they use to process soy products too I believe?   Soy is another one I stay away from.  Or, at least try.

I stay away from anything soy whatsoever, unless it's organic. Mostly because I hate Monsanto and they control most of the market, but soy also tops the list of GMOs. Yes, followed closely by canola, I know. Again, that's why I head for organic. I'm curious to see if they still use hexane with the organic stuff. I noticed they said "almost all", which makes me think there are a few places out there that would process it differently...

BRB... :nerd:

#35 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,802 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

Ok. So it looks like both canola (and possibly soy...?) if certified organic, does NOT use hexane to process. They expeller press it, like olive oil, and some brands actually cold press it as well. The reason hexane is used is it extracts almost all of the oil from the plant, where expeller does not (so more bang for your buck - it's why they use hexane...) and one of the reasons why the expeller pressed is more expensive.

I use Spectrum brand organic canola oil. Here is a link to their site. Although I don't have a bottle in front of me to see, I would imagine, just like olive oil, it would say on the bottle that it is expeller pressed.

http://www.spectrumo...faq.php?fqid=34

http://www.spectrumo...ics.com/?id=240

There are other organic brands as well, but spectrum is what's readily available in my co-op. It's about $10 a bottle - not cheap.

I also found some stuff about "banning" hexane in organic products, but this is all I could find... I don't know if it's actually part of the official USDA "Organic" certification. Some websites say that, but I couldn't find anything like a list of specific things for "organic" certification...

http://www.cornucopi.../11/hexane-soy/

http://www.northcoas...-natural-foods/

The north coast journal makes mention that "Consider the widespread use of hexane, a neurotoxin, in processed foods that aren’t certified organic (those lame organic standards do at least prohibit hexane use)" But that's all I've found on that....

Again, like I mentioned in a PM, wende, it's ultimately up to us to decide whether we believe a company when they claim to use or not use certain processes/chemicals.

I hope this helps...

#36 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

Twisting poisonous plants that we used to use as lubricants and fuels into a cheap oil is just not something I'm comfortable with.  And that's it right there.  :)

#37 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

See, this is what I was hoping to find in a SmartPhone app.

here's something...

New Iphone app for boycotting companies against GMO Labeling and promoting companies supporting it. It will soon be available for Android as well.

Download it here: http://buycott.com/campaign/
211/demand-gmo-labeling

#38 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

551281_10151523284793908_63280195_n.jpg

:lol: @ Biopsi!

#39 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,668 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

http://www.momsacros..._versus_non_gmo

Home » Blog »
Stunning Corn Comparison: GMO versus NON GMO

The claims that "There is no difference between GMO corn and NON Gmo corn" are false. Yesterday while on a playdate at the lake, Vince from De Dell Seed Company, Canada's only NON GMO corn seed company called me to support the march and Americans finding out about GMOs. He emailed me this stunning report, clearly showing the nutritional value difference between GMO corn and NON GMO corn. I was floored. And at the same time, not totally surprised because Glyphosate draws out the vital nutrients of living things and GMO corn is covered with it.

The important thing to note in these deficiencies is that these are exactly the deficiencies in a human being that lead to susceptibility to sickness, disorders and cancer.  People who have osteoporosis are low in calcium and magnesium, people who have cancer are low in maganese. The list goes on and on.

GMO Corn has 14 ppm of Calcium and NON GMO corn has 6130 ppm. 437 X more.

GMO corn has 2 ppm of Magnesium and NON GMO corn has 113ppm. 56 X more.

GMO corn has 2 ppm of Manganese and NON GMO corn has 14ppm. 7X more.

Look at the levels of Formaldehyde and Glyphosate IN the corn! The EPA standards for Glyphosate in water in America is .7ppm. In Europe it is .2 ppm. Tests showed organ damage to animals at .1ppm of Glyphosate in water. This corn has 13 ppm! 

In another study that Dr. Huber reported, on Elizabeth Dougherty's Talk Radio,  .97 ppm of formeldehyde showed to be toxic in ingestion to animals. This corn has 200X that! That is why the animals , given a choice will not eat it at all, they can smell the formeldehyde!

Please share this report with your legislature, farmers, news editors, school district food services and Moms.

We will no longer be feeding our children food with nutritional deficiencies,  foreign proteins, toxins, sprayed with Glyphosate, or injected with pesticides. Nor will we be fed their lies of safety!

Corn_Comparison_1.jpg?1363419079

Corn_Comparison_2.jpg?1363419209

THANK YOU De Dell sharing this report and supporting the Americas in GMO labeling and in going GMO Free!

#40 Misha

Misha

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

This is really fascinating and educational! I do have to say that it freaks me out to think of the stuff I've let Jude (my 7 year old) eat before I knew about these horrors :-(

#41 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

It kills me to see children walking around eating lunchables and drinking BLUE gatorade or Mountain Dew.  KILLS me!  We are all ignorant to many degree's.  It's important to let eachother know things we know and even more important to be willing to LISTEN and take it in.

Oh and don't EAT GRAPE JELLY!   Like ever! 

#42 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,802 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

Oh and don't EAT GRAPE JELLY!   Like ever! 

Unless you make your own ;)

My ma makes a tasty grape jelly.

#43 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Very true.  In fact, you can eat certain Grape Jelly's.  Just not the big companies.  You know what comes along with those mass grape picker thingy's right?   Yup, snakes.  Lot's and lot's and lot's of snakes. 

#44 Misha

Misha

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:19 AM

Luckily, I've always hated jelly (and ketchup and mustard--I'm weird! ).

#45 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:30 AM

THIS IS A GOOD BRAND.

GroupTribeHummus.jpg

Tribe has canola oil :joker:

#46 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

That's why it's so good. 

Same as Sabra.  :lol:

#47 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

Gotta stick to the locally made Hummus or make your own.

#48 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,802 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

I'm a big fan of most anything from Trader Joe's. They're not perfect, but they do make quite a concerted effort to have products with no HFCS, GMOs, etc. (though at the current time, non-GMO is hard for most any company with the lack of labeling...) They stock more and more organic all the time, it's very reasonably priced, and it tastes fantastic.

And.... Their hummus is made with sunflower/olive oil :D

#49 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Aldi's bought out Trader Joes.  Been seeing a lot of Organic choices in Aldi's.  (not that I ever shop there but my mom tells me) I guess that's for the better, but curious to see what it does for the Trader Joe's side.

Been to ALdi's a couple times and it scared me.  :lol:

#50 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Is the only Trader Joes on Wolf road?  In the ALbany area that is.