Supposedly you can scan labels and get nutrition info and alerts if the food contains GMOs or is not Vegetarian / Vegan.
Anyone tried it or anything similar?
Jump to content
Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:48 PM
Installed this. Seems like it could be helpful if you took the time to use it.
* Asked me to create a login or login using Facebook -- so yeah, it's gonna track you
* Asked questions about age, gender, etc. -- because nutritional needs differ with these factors
* Let me set that I want to be warned about Vegetarian, GMO, and/or Vegan
Scanned a few items -- which was very easy, just point a bar-code.
* It gave them a "Personalized Grade" of: B+
* Calories per Serving: 120
* GMO - High Probability
* Seems to be Vegetarian
* Dieter food point value = 3
* Contains MSG like ingredients
Also gave some alternatives and a couple of user comments.
Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:30 PM
I wish these things didn't all want you to have a FB account attached to 'em... otherwise it sounds like a cool app... We don't buy much pre-packaged stuff and I always read the labels, so I'm not sure how helpful it would be.
It gave the option of creating an account just with them. For a quick test I opted to just use Facebook but if I were to use it full time I'd create an account with them so that what I buy is not linked to Facebook.
Yeah, if you already buy local and are good at knowing what's what, not very helpful. I though of looking for this app because the Food Inc documentary made a point that it's hard to get laws passed that require accurate labeling. This type of app/service could put information in the hands of consumers without laws and whether the companies want to cooperate or not.