Supreme Court Case: Farmer vs. Monsanto

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#51 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,623 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

The whole knee-jerk anti-GMO movement who generally present their case with oversimplified memes that omit any of the scientific facts that don't support their contentions.

I've printed out a copy, and will read it over the weekend, but I think you're aware that I tend not to take a knee-jerk approach to things, and that my concerns stem from my opinion that not enough study has been done on the safety of GMOs...in large part because they're not something which can be contained.

If I weren't concerned about the genes getting into the wild and in other people's crops, I'd actually be in favor of "Terminator" technology, though not for the same reasons that DuPont, Monsanto and Syngenta are.

#52 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,514 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Tim, you are most certainly a reasonable radical and I'm not lumping you into the category of people who can't tell peer-reviewed science from propaganda. Not so for most others on your side of this issue though. 

#53 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,359 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Tim, you are most certainly a reasonable radical and I'm not lumping you into the category of people who can't tell peer-reviewed science from propaganda. Not so for most others on your side of this issue though. 

Sweeping generalization irony is ironic.

#54 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

I believe it's 20 years...though there's some though in some cases that the utility of the seeds is diminishing before the patents are up...weeds getting resistant to Roundup and the like.

but the info would still be out there for anyone to use & improve on, correct?

after reading the article i'm surprised that the ones selling this leftover grain aren't being taken to court by monsanto as well.  unless that's a separate case altogether

#55 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,514 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Sweeping generalization irony is ironic.

:lol: snap

#56 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,623 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

after reading the article i'm surprised that the ones selling this leftover grain aren't being taken to court by monsanto as well.  unless that's a separate case altogether

The elevators are selling grain, and not seed, is the best, though somewhat confusing way to explain this.

Starting in 1999, he bought some ordinary soybeans from a small grain elevator where local farmers drop off their harvest. "They made sure they didn't sell it as seed. Their ticket said, 'Outbound grain," says Bowman.

#57 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,623 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

So. JCS, any thoughts on my question from earlier?

Why should I not be concerned about consolidation in the seed industry?

While I don't often place a whole lot of stock in visual presentations, this seems telling to me:

seedchart.png

#58 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

I know next to nothing about all this, but, wasn't there some sort of rules/laws that prohibited a corporation from having too much media in a specific city/region.  Like they couldn't own more than X TV/Radio stations, or something like that.

Advertise to kids bothers me, but it is nothing new.

Advertising prescription drugs bothers me.  IMO, in a perfect world, your doctor (who would not be accepting $$ from pharma companies to push their brand) would prescribe the best medicine for your ailment.  Now people say, "No, I want the stuff with the pretty fields of flowers", or whatever.  :dunno:

yep, and they are further eroded all the time. Telecommunication Act of 1996 under Clinton was devastating in this way. 

#59 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

The elevators are selling grain, and not seed, is the best, though somewhat confusing way to explain this.

grain that may or may not contain monsanto technology.  & if what they claim about their patent rules are true then it sounds like anyone caught reselling any bit of monsanto "property" without paying monsanto is gonna have their ass dragged into court.  sucks, really

#60 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,623 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

grain that may or may not contain monsanto technology.  & if what they claim about their patent rules are true then it sounds like anyone caught reselling any bit of monsanto "property" without paying monsanto is gonna have their ass dragged into court.  sucks, really

Well, unless it's being sold for food or feed...but yeah it kinda sucks, IMO.

What sucks more is their having gone after farmers for patent infringement for planting seed which got M's IP in it from pollen drift, or from seeds falling into their fields. Their bankroll makes it nearly impossible for any farmer to defend such a lawsuit.

#61 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Was thoroughly enjoying the ideas in this thread.

Was.

Are people incapable of simply sticking to the issue? What is it with the tendency to move from comments about the issue to comments about the opponents or proponents of the issue?

#62 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,514 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

So. JCS, any thoughts on my question from earlier?

Why should I not be concerned about consolidation in the seed industry?

I recently saw an agriculture  industry report with detailed market share by product, I'll see if I can dig that up but their numbers are different from those you presented. 

#63 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,514 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

Was thoroughly enjoying the ideas in this thread.

Was.

Are people incapable of simply sticking to the issue? What is it with the tendency to move from comments about the issue to comments about the opponents or proponents of the issue?

Oh boo-hoo you're not enjoying it anymore. Why is that, because your opinion is no longer totally dominant and unopposed?

#64 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Hi Gar

I would say, legally, the farmer is wrong.

(as much as I abhor Monsanto, they have a case)

Above was one of my first posts.

Oh boo-hoo you're not enjoying it anymore. Why is that, because your opinion is no longer totally dominant and unopposed?

I've continued in plenty of threads with varying perspectives. This has nothing to do with my opinion, it has to do with the way others choose to share theirs. You response, making my very point.

Be well.

#65 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,623 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

It's almost as if you aren't aware of her history here...

#66 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,877 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

This has nothing to do with my opinion, it has to do with the way others choose to share theirs.

Ummmmm.....    You do realize you're posting on the Vibes Board here, don't you? 

#67 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,260 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

And while I'm at it, those who have bought into what is essentially an urban legend that vaccines cause autism are also worthy of a good laugh.

I enjoyed how House handled these people on that show.

#68 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Sometimes I feel like my penis was a Monsanto experiment.

#69 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,260 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

#70 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

How Monsanto outfoxed the Obama administration  

The inside story of how the government let one company squash biotech innovation, and dominate an entire industry

Last November, the U.S. Department of Justice quietly closed a three-year antitrust investigation into Monsanto, the biotech giant whose genetic traits are embedded in over 90 percent of America’s soybean crop and more than 80 percent of corn. Despite a splash of press coverage when the investigation was initially announced, its termination went mostly unreported. The DOJ released no written public statement. Only a brief press release from Monsanto conveyed the news.

The lack of attention belies the significance of the decision, both for food consumers around the world and for U.S. businesses. Experts who have examined Monsanto’s conduct say the Justice Department’s decision not to act all but officially establishes the firm’s sovereignty over the U.S. seed industry. Many of them also say the decision ratifies aggressive practices Monsanto used to entrench its dominance and deter competition. This includes highly restrictive contractual agreements that excluded rivals,

alongside a multibillion-dollar spree to buy up seed companies.

When the administration first launched its investigation, many antitrust and agriculture experts believed it was still possible to imagine an industry characterized by greater competition in the marketplace and greater diversity in seeds. That future may now be foreclosed.

( much more at the link above )

#71 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,623 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Comes as no surprise, but the USSC ruled in Monsanto's favor.

#72 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Comes as no surprise, but the USSC ruled in Monsanto's favor.

Given current law, it's understandable.

#73 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

it was really the wrong case to appeal to the USSC. Not sure what the thinking was there, but it probably did more harm than good. I'd guess it makes it more unlikely that the court will entertain a similar, but better crafted, case in the near future. :(

#74 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,623 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Given current law, it's understandable.

Absolutely.

it was really the wrong case to appeal to the USSC. Not sure what the thinking was there, but it probably did more harm than good. I'd guess it makes it more unlikely that the court will entertain a similar, but better crafted, case in the near future. :(

May just have been a farmer who did something dumb, but had a bee in his bonnet. Looked like a bad case to me from the start.