Rototillers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

I'm looking to buy one fairly soon. What do you have? Any recommendations? :wink:

#2 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

If you're only looking to do small to medium size beds, the Mantis is a great little tool. Doesn't take up a lot of storage space, isn't a heavy monster, but easily turns over the root zone (top 6+") of most soils/beds.
http://mantis.com/mantis-tillers.asp

If you're looking to do a big garden, say bigger than 20 x 20', then I might consider a bigger tiller with wheels. Or just rent one to do the big heavy work to start a new bed and at the end of the season and use a mantis to freshen stuff up in the spring.

#3 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

i rented a mantis a few yers back to do my Dad's small garden whlie he was away.
nice surprise for him, very easy to handle for me.
only needed it for 1/2 a day :dance:

#4 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

We've got already established beds- 2 pretty big ones so this will just be used to turn in the compost every spring. I am also planning to break new beds for clients someday.

We got a Troy Bilt Counter Rotating tiller- should be something I can handle and it wasn't too pricey. :wink: Someday when everything dries up I might actually be able to try it out. :rolleyes: