Documentary Club, Season 2, Episode 5: Hippie Masala

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

"The film focuses on the aftermath of the Hippie migration to Asia, specifically documenting the lives of six Hippies who chose to remain in India: Cesare from Italy, Erica and Gillian from South Africa, Hanspeter from Switzerland, Meera from Belgium and Robert from the Netherlands.[2] No longer in their 20s, they are leading the lives of a traditional yogi and a female meditator in retreat, a painter with a local wife and children, designers of beach clothing in Goa, and a farmer who hunts and cares for his cows in the Himalayas."

"In the 1960s and 1970s thousands of hippies journeyed East to India in the search of either enlightenment, free drugs or a 'pure' life. Most moved back to their home countries after a few months or years while some stayed for good. Cesare, an Italian expatriate, is still there searching and striving for spiritual liberation through back-breaking yoga. Hanspeter, a man originally from Switzerland, runs a small farm in the Himalayas. Erica and Gillian, South African twins, sew hippie handicrafts by day and party tirelessly at night. HIPPIE MASALA is a fascinating chronicle about aging flower children who, after fleeing Western civilization, found a new way of life in India."

#2 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

its on Netflix.   Really amazing film.

#3 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,320 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Wrong forum, hippie! :mrgreen:

#4 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Woops :lol:

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,180 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Sounds interesting, looking forward to watching.

Yes, I have a passport.

#6 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

The kitten Having milk shot into open mouths from a cow teat is ultracute

#7 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,180 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Alrighty, watched this last night.

I can see much appeal in a simpler lifestyle.  

#8 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

fascinating how Cesare ended up a yogi simply because he couldn't leave the country legally for so many years, he traveled from temple to temple for food, water, and shelter, and found a calling.  I found his whole idea of how we westerners live completely in this MAYA world of illusion interesting and familiar to my own concepts.

http://hinduism.iskc...oncepts/105.htm

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,180 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Yes, and if you read/study a bit of neuroscience, you see how we do in fact make up a bunch of our reality that we are convinced is absolutely without question real.

Molded by family/group/society to behave in certain acceptable patterns rather than seek our own inner truth/reality.

#10 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

I also wonder what, exactly, dude was growing on his farm, besides raising cows...

:pimp:  everyone was smoking the Himalayan blonde the entire film..

#11 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,180 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Yeah, a couple of them appeared quite cooked.

#12 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

they didnt need the drunken SOuth African women.  They were annoying, and I learned nothing from them being in the film.

#13 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Cool choice. I'll watch tonight.

#14 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

It's a trip to watch, literally.  The worst off seems to be the Belgian woman who can't find a guru.  Not entirely sure why she couldn't find anyone to help her with her practice, that could have been better explained.

#15 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

I got through 45 minutes and fell asleep, sorry I was tired. Not much to say on this one.

#16 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,320 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

It's been like 20 years since I've seen a chillum. :lol:

I dig the idea of a life of simplicity, which some of these folks seem to have found, though I'm not sure most of them are content...

#17 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,609 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

I found this one hard to connect with. The super-slow pace had my attention going anywhere but to the film. I suppose that's part of the point, form = content and all. If the pace was meant to help get the viewer to feel the difference in life style, I get the approach but it didn't connect with me.

A simpler life that is more spiritual and that recognizes some of the traps and illusions that people in the "regular" world live is desirable. I feel that these people too have their own versions of traps and illusions. That's fine if where they are makes them happy. For me I think it may be possible to live a simpler life and to beware of unwanted illusions without living quite that way. I know many people that live fairly simple lives, where family, honest work, healthy recreation, and enjoyment of life are central to them. I don't have an exact roll model of where I'd like to be but it's closer to the people I know here than the people in this documentary.

Very happy to have watched this and to be thinking about it from another view. 

:smile2:

#18 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Its almost an alien way of living, and i thought it was cool how each of these foreigners live their day-to-day lives and a bit about their historys. The slow pace put emphasis on paying awarwness to everything, to slow down, and to have that realization of whats "real". I also liked the landscapes and varied areas they all lived. Mountains, jungle, beaches...all very beautiful.

Tried to switch it up away from agenda/awareness docs. I really prefer historical or archeological docs way more than the health and sociology type ones posted here...