Photo

How integrated/segregated was your college's cafeteria.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

I went to Hobart and William Smith and the white students all ate together and the black students all ate together too.  No mixing.

My friend Kareem had 2 names for the black section, "Little Africa" and "The Back of The Bus"

there were very few Asians, Native Americans, Latinos or Pacific Islanders. Not sure where they ate.

#2 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,451 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

I was a commuting student at an all women's college so we were by  by definition segregated, at least by gender. As if I needed the distraction on boys. :lol:

My closest college girlfriend was American Korean and she was very involved with the Asian club and foreign exchange students, and I would often be the driver to bring them in town. Kamakazis and private karaoke rooms were of the highlights of my college social life. I was a sociology major and am fascinated by diversity, so I sought out other color, but honestly there wasn't much to be had at my school. I also happened to be married to someone with profound race issues (which I didn't realize until it was much too late) and he was always afraid I was going to run off with a black man. Fought everytme I went out with his sister and her black friends to the club. So what did I do?  For my big junior year research project I chose as my topic "Interracial interaction in a hip hop nightclub," and chose direct observation as my mode of data collection. "But I have to go to the club tonight, it's for school!"  That paper went to conference and was really very good. One should never underestimate my audacity. 

#3 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,396 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

We had a smoking section it was awesome

#4 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,451 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

:lol:

#5 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,202 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

We had a smoking section it was awesome

Us too. That's how we were segregated.

#6 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

I didn't really go to my college cafeteria that much, and when I was at the school it was largely still a commuter population, so much so that in fact I would've chosen a different school if I knew how many people were actually commuters and thus in no way invested in any kind of culture happening on campus... may not have had to do with commuting alone but I'm sure it was a big factor... at the times I did go it was very segregated, but by major mostly, oh and nationality... the kids from India did their own thing and always grouped together pretty much, same with the kids from China, but all the Americans no matter the race hung out together as long as they were in the same or similar majors. The school started out being an engineering school but had a growing media arts college when I was there, which is now a much larger part of the school today

#7 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,742 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

I went to Tufts which was about 70% Jewish and the cafeteria was segregated along more practical lines. . . all the Long Island japs sat together, all the Engineeering students sat together, I usually sat with the international crowd which included the African blacks and the American blacks all sat with the rest of the basketball team. 

#8 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,686 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

I don't know. I drank my meals in my apartment.

#9 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

completely segregated.  college students ate in the dining hall.  townies did not.

#10 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,529 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

huh.  the only things i remember about meals in college are:

we stole plates, mugs and silverware for our room

we called the fried shrimp - at least i think it was fried shrimp -  "poodle doo's"

my roommate ate her spaghetti with butter only

i knocked over a salt shaker once, gave the small resulting pile of salt a very brief but thoughtful look and decided to throw a pinch over my left shoulder, only to look up and see one of the ladies who watched over the hall had been watching me and was laughing. 

i own, to this day, one of their m&m green colored cafeteria trays

there was an extremely steep hill just outside the main dining hall and we'd ice it up in the winter on purpose.   to slide allllll the way down it without falling was rare and considered an impressive feat.   i tried it every single time i went to eat there.   i successfully did it once, the last 15 feet or so going backwards no less.    :cool:

i learned that the best 'drinking food' is to have 2 orders of french fries as dinner

in general, the food was pretty bad and there was no salad bar or any healthy options like they have nowadays. 

#11 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,396 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

I miss having 20 different cereals to choose from at every meal.

#12 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,742 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

I was brought up eating at a "civilized hour" like no earlier than 7:30-8:00. So dining hall dinner hours of 4:45-6:15 were like WTF dude!

#13 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

I went to Brooklyn College and it was super diverse and there didn't seem to be any 'segregation'.    

There were definitely ethnic groups that sat together but I think it was more a language thing....

The gang I hung out with was American, Indian, Turkish, Korean, RUssian and Orthodox Jewish.

Glad I grew up in the city :)

#14 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

I miss having 20 different cereals to choose from at every meal.

so true

#15 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

I went to Ithaca and there were 3 dining halls - I ate at 2 of them - the third, callled T... towers, I did not...

#16 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

mostly segregated, partially integrated.

#17 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,572 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Completely integrated at Ga. Tech. Basically tables grouped by cliques, but that's true anywhere.

Freshman were required to purchase a dining card (presumably to ensure they ate proper meals) so pretty much everyone in my class ate at the dining hall.

The food was pretty awful, so by Sophomore year almost everyone was eating in town (Atlanta has some good eats).

#18 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,202 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Mary Mac's Tea Room for the win.

#19 deadphan

deadphan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Almost completely segregated at New Paltz. Funny you bring this up. It was in the dining hall in college that I realized, latinos are the loudest people in the fucking world. No matter which clique of latinos was in the dining hall, they were always 10 times louder than anyone else. :lol:

#20 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,373 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

pretty segregated, although there were not a large number of other ethnic backgrounds.  

mostly segregated by majors