Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Who watched it? What did you think?

#2 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,036 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

sound and fury signifying nothing....

listened to 5 minutes. all sounds like blah, blah, blah to me.

#3 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,036 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Andy, there is a cynical post for you :lol:

#4 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

I didn't watch any of it. I'm just curious what people thought and if they ran a fact check on him.

#5 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I turned it on for about 30 seconds.

That was all I could take of Boner's scowling face in the background.

And the blah blah blah in the foreground didn't do too much for me, either.

#6 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,462 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

I did not watch it, but I did read about it.  I watched 2 minutes, and more talked to wife during those two minutes about whatever he was talking about then.

Not to much hub bub on him stretching the truth, but lots of it was seen as more stimulus.  Especially to road, bridge infrastructure. Boenher said more of the same on spending.

They say he "found his voice" when it got to gun control.

#7 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...--politics.html

FACT CHECK: Overreaching in State of Union speech

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama did some cherry-picking Tuesday night in defense of his record on jobs and laid out a conditional path to citizenship for illegal immigrants that may be less onerous than he made it sound.

A look at some of the claims in his State of the Union speech, a glance at the Republican counterargument and how they fit with the facts:

OBAMA: "After years of grueling recession, our businesses have created over 6 million new jobs."

THE FACTS: That's in the ballpark, as far as it goes. But Obama starts his count not when he took office, but from the point in his first term when job losses were the highest. In doing so, he ignores the 5 million or so jobs that were lost on his watch, up to that point.

Private sector jobs have grown by 6.1 million since February 2010. But since he became president, the gain is a more modest 1.9 million.

And when losses in public sector employment are added to the mix, his overall jobs record is a gain of 1.2 million.

___

OBAMA: "We have doubled the distance our cars will go on a gallon of gas."

THE FACTS: Not so fast.

That's expected to happen in 12 more years. :lmao:

Under a deal the Obama administration reached with automakers in 2011, vehicles will have a corporate average fuel economy of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025, twice the 27 miles per gallon, on average, that cars and trucks get today. Automobile manufacturers won't start making changes to achieve the new fuel economy standards until model year 2017. Not all cars will double their gas mileage, since the standard is based on an average of a manufacturers' fleet.

and of course, as predictable as the day is long.......Goebbel's Warming

OBAMA: "I urge this Congress to pursue a bipartisan, market-based solution to climate change, like the one John McCain and Joe Lieberman worked on together a few years ago. But if Congress won't act soon to protect future generations, I will. I will direct my Cabinet to come up with executive actions we can take, now and in the future, to reduce pollution, prepare our communities for the consequences of climate change and speed the transition to more sustainable sources of energy."

THE FACTS: Obama failed to get a global warming bill through Congress when both Houses were controlled by Democrats in 2010. With Republicans in control of the House, the chances of a bill to limit the gases blamed for global warming and to create a market for businesses to trade pollution credits are close to zero. The Obama administration has already acted to control greenhouse gases through existing law. It has boosted fuel-efficiency standards and proposed rules to control heat-trapping emissions from new power plants. And while there are still other ways to address climate change without Congress, it's questionable regulation alone can achieve the reductions needed to start curbing global warming.

:lmao:

#8 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,382 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

This is Barak History Month, you know. 

#9 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Sounds like a giant load of crap served up in eloquent rhetoric.

#10 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,462 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Sounds like a giant load of crap served up in eloquent rhetoric.

I am listening to sports radio and the new host came on and said Obama killed it last night.  So yes, eloquent rhetoric.

#11 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Obama killed the truth is what he killed. He back stabbed the shit out of it, then curb stomped it's face into juice. But, he did mention Goebbel's Warming, which I imagine really got the lolberal leg tingle going.

#12 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,462 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Obama killed the truth is what he killed. He back stabbed the shit out of it, then curb stomped it's face into juice. But, he did mention Goebbel's Warming, which I imagine really got the lolberal leg tingle going.

This is the two minutes I watched, now that you mention it.  I like how half the room gave a standing ovation and the other half yawned their displeasure.

#13 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

A leader that can satnd up there and lie that much to the people who did, and who did not elect him without any uproar except a shrug and a "fact check" in the news, only signals the dismal reality of the American voting intellect.

It's absolutely frightening.

#14 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,462 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

I can't find the video of the southern chick who wanted to vote for Romney because he was hot.

That would have been my submittal for the American voting intellect.

#15 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

I thought you were the optimist, though? I mean, with this type of thing going to from bad to worse to down right frightening, where are we going to go from here, brahmigo?

#16 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Wait...   someone thinks Romney is hot?   :huh:

#17 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

I'm sure someone does, yes. I'm also sure that there were folks who voted for Obama simply based on his physical traits. The point being that Amercians as a whole, are increasingly degenerating intellectually. Which to me, is ripe for abuse and WILL be abused.

I'm just curious what are resident optimist has to say about that.

#18 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,462 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

I thought you were the optimist, though? I mean, with this type of thing going to from bad to worse to down right frightening, where are we going to go from here, brahmigo?

I am an optomist, but I can not deny that the American or mass's voting intellect is extremely poor.  They vote for the guy most likely they think would be fun to have a beer with.  Not on the issues, in general.

Yeah I posted a video before the election, but can;t find it.  It was a young lady from the south, prolly under the age of 25.

#19 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

:blush:

#20 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

I am an optomist, but I can not deny that the American or mass's voting intellect is extremely poor.  They vote for the guy most likely they think would be fun to have a beer with.  Not on the issues, in general.

Yeah I posted a video before the election, but can;t find it.  It was a young lady from the south, prolly under the age of 25.

I remember it  :Tabbooma:

#21 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,675 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Tabbooma watched it, like the minimum wage raise proposal, closing tax loop holes, propose an education model like Germany where high school students intrerested can earn an associates degree while in high school and push on engineering.

#22 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,675 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Not easy being the smartest kid on the block is it TASB :lmao:

A leader that can satnd up there and lie that much to the people who did, and who did not elect him without any uproar except a shrug and a "fact check" in the news, only signals the dismal reality of the American voting intellect.

It's absolutely frightening.

#23 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

Tabbooma watched it, like the minimum wage raise proposal, closing tax loop holes, propose an education model like Germany where high school students intrerested can earn an associates degree while in high school and push on engineering.

I like this as it opens up opportunity for nonconformist learning. I'm not a fan of the one size fits all model we tend to push.

#24 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

Not easy being the smartest kid on the block is it TASB :lmao:

That I am certainly not. But it's obvious that there is a great deal of people that choose political and ideological convenience over doing the work.

#25 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,675 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

;)

#26 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

#27 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,675 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

:bouncey:

#28 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,675 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

The President spoke on gun control too, pretty simple idea, put on the floor each proposal for a vote ;)

http://youtu.be/MDNLsNHZoQw

#29 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

It seems like the Republicans in Congress are waiting for the Democrats in the Senate to make the first move. If it's such a simple idea you'd think the Senate would step up and have Obama's back on this issue. Instead it looks like they're more concerned about the next election and protecting their seats in the Senate rather than than protecting the people.

House Republicans Noncommittal on Holding Gun Votes

Republican reactions to President Barack Obama’s State of the Union call for tougher gun laws have run the gamut, with Oklahoma Sen. James M. Inhofe asserting that the proposals are a “disaster” and Illinois Sen. Mark S. Kirk expressing optimism that lawmakers can find some common ground.

The most telling GOP reaction of all, however, might have been the noncommittal one that House Republican leaders gave Wednesday when asked whether they agree with the president’s declaration — repeated seven times during the emotional conclusion of his speech — that victims of gun violence “deserve a vote.”

“As I’ve made clear for weeks, if the Senate acts, we’ll be happy to take a look at what they do,” House Speaker John A. Boehner, R-Ohio, said during a news conference attended by Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., and other members of their leadership team.

Boehner’s wait-and-see approach is essentially the same one House GOP leaders have taken since the Dec. 14 massacre of 20 schoolchildren and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. The Republican leaders have called for a comprehensive evaluation of the tragedy and possible responses to it, but have made clear that they are waiting on the Democratic-led Senate to act first.

Their position may reflect a political calculation that some of the most-controversial aspects of the president’s agenda, such as banning assault weapons or large ammunition magazines, will not make it out of the Senate anyway.

“A lot of the things the president talked about, he would have a hard time getting through the Senate,” House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said on MSNBC on Wednesday. “You have six senators from states where President Obama got 42 percent [of the presidential-election vote] and are up for re-election. That’s a very difficult play.”

http://www.rollcall....s-222404-1.html