is there a way to find generic gay rights stuff to post to FB

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

maybe generic isnt the right term for it..... i want good points... but i want a well of things to repost and such. here is why.... ive recently broken down and friended all of jons family. they are super christian and they post stuff that is vaguely homophobic... it doesnt come right out and say anything about gay people mind you, but they might repost something from an organization that is very homophobic.... so i want to be able to post a bunch of pro lgbt right stuff to counter act it.......

its my passive aggressive way of getting a point across... normally im not in favor of being passive but idk how else to handle it without creating a confrontation... its hard too bc they do so much for us and are otherwise such nice people it kind of breaks my heart when they are so "christian" about somethings....

#2 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,382 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

You're not going to change their minds, ever, so why bother trying? God hates the gay, just ask any Christian. 

#3 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

How about you use the hide feature and "hide" their posts that you find offensive from your newsfeed?

We only have control over our own actions and reactions.

#4 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,292 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

You're not going to change their minds, ever, so why bother trying? God hates the gay, just ask any Christian. 

Kind of sad that the word Christian has devolved into meaning gay haters, neo nazis, right wing nuts and generally intolerant people. 

#5 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

Kind of sad that the word Christian has devolved into meaning gay haters, neo nazis, right wing nuts and generally intolerant people. 

Sweeping generalizations about people is the new bell bottom. Just ask the progressives about how the "white people" run the Earth.

#6 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

131885531_003eb93938.jpg

Oh, I thought you said geriatric gay rights stuff...never mind

#7 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

pearce you are right, but i kind of cant help myself...

i should probably just hide like teo says but then i will miss the good things they post.. (family pics, news, etc)

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

You can hide specific posts that you find offensive, thus you only have to view them once.

#9 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,829 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Next time I come to visit take lots of pictures with me and the little one.  Then post them all over fb with things like Almost caught the gay but survived this visit.  under them :pimp:

#10 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

greg :rolling:

#11 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,829 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

greg :rolling:

We could take pictures of us shopping and him doing my nails.  and then some in tutus

#12 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,637 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

I'm with Pearce on this, trying to change their minds will probably only result in frustration and distancing. I also understand and think it's right that your voice be heard too. The one suggestion I have is...

Turning Around: A Mother Embraces Her Gay Daughter

I found this episode of Dick Gordon's "The Story" radio program to be really interesting. It's an interview with a mother that felt her daughter's being gay was "the worst thing that could have happened." The woman is not preachy and does not come to the final conclusion that being gay is okay. Rather, she finds a way even within her religion to accept her daughter (and other gay people) even though her religion says it's wrong to be gay. She seems to come to the conclusion that while maybe God will judge people, she doesn't have to. (I could be slightly off in my description, it's been a while since I listened to it). 

I'm wondering if maybe you could ask, as a favor of love to you, that your family listen to it. You might even make a deal that you will listen or read something that they ask you to -- as a way to open a dialog. You can say that the program is not trying to change their minds and neither are you -- you are just asking them to listen to someone else that is like them. Since it's told from "their perspective" it might be less threatening and also something they can hear without shutting down.

Even if they won't listen, It's worthwhile for anyone that want's to put it on.

http://thestory.org/...l_show.mp3/view

There is a link at the bottom of the page to listen to the show. You can download

and save it as an MP3 to be burned to a CD or played on an MP3 player.

#13 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,829 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

The one thing you do have to worry about and make clear is your beliefs and how you want your child to be raised.  Bigotry causes more bigotry.

#14 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,382 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

We have a Catholic church in the Castro here (The predominantly gay district of San Francisco) that my sister attends every Sunday so I hear some really interesting stuff about it. The official Catholic line is that same-sex orientation is acceptable, but gay or lesbian sexual activity is not. Believe it or not, that is considered highly progressive thinking.

#15 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,382 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Of course every once in a while the Vatican calls, and they are PISSED. 

#16 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,292 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

So they say you can be gay as long as you don't have a lover?

#17 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,382 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

So they say you can be gay as long as you don't have a lover?

You can have a lover, you just can't boff them. That's pretty much the Catholic attitude towards hetero relationships too.  :lol:

#18 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

not sure what you mean, but I am a member of? or "LIKE" a few groups that post things, that you can "Share" ....    if that's what you mean.

I fucking hate bigotry in any form.   I got fucked with cuz my parents were hippies in a fuckin pussy town.... then summered in Provincetown...   whatever that means.

https://www.facebook...ThanNOM?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.../WOH247?fref=pb

are two examples.     some of the shit they post is solidly informative, sometimes, not so much.   :dunno: whatever.

66104_611243015568426_1476739973_n.jpg

#19 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

You see the problem is.... .they are going to have time with your child.... and that is time that many "loving grandparents"  etc use to CONFUSE THE SHIT out of an otherwise well adjusted child.

" just saying "

Set the record straight now, for realz.

#20 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

i thought passive agressive was a mental disorder.

somebody lock up the guns!!!!

#21 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

66104_611243015568426_1476739973_n.jpg

lololol

greg, thats one thing you dont have to worry about! my little man will learn to respect everyone if it kills me! and the church we are going to this sunday has a GINORMOUS rainbow flag out front, so we are going to start there!

#22 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

You see the problem is.... .they are going to have time with your child.... and that is time that many "loving grandparents"  etc use to CONFUSE THE SHIT out of an otherwise well adjusted child.

i am so worried about this i have a whole thread going on the ladies board about it... they are awesome people outside the religious weirdness, it sucks it has to be this way. i rememeber when i was a kid some religious folks go ahold of me and i had panic attacks about my parents burning in hell and the second coming... i dont want joe to have anxiety about this and i dont want him to learn anything else like bigotry towards gay people!

a big part of why i want to take him to the unitarian church is so he can learn other points of views (apart from what his grand parents might pump into him when im not around) and so he can learn how to handle certain situations when he gets older where he might not agree with them and mostly so he can make up his own mind about things and not just take the stance thats pumped into his little mind! i think he deserves to figure out what he believes in even tho that might not be what i believe in either!

#23 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

just bring a girlfriend to every family event :)

#24 Goose

Goose
  • VibeTribe
  • 605 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

I have few conservative FB friends that are relentless with the crazy offensive posts.  One of them is constantly

ignored by almost all of his own friends.  Another one's friends are incited and argue amongst themselves in the comments.

I used to try to post a slam dunk link or comment but they would almost always derail and start putting other easily refuted arguments

in the comments that have nothing to do with the original post.

Lately I've been going to the source from where the post was shared and there are usually many posts refuting the offensive statements

and pointing out the falsehoods.  So I go through them and click like on the ones that make a good point,  I love the irony of them finding

out that they had themselves exposed me to the opposing viewpoints.  I don't think they find out if you 'liked' a comment but they do find

out if you post a comment, I think.

#25 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,292 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

a big part of why i want to take him to the unitarian church is so he can learn other points of views (apart from what his grand parents might pump into him when im not around) and so he can learn how to handle certain situations when he gets older where he might not agree with them and mostly so he can make up his own mind about things and not just take the stance thats pumped into his little mind! i think he deserves to figure out what he believes in even tho that might not be what i believe in either!

Good choice.

I was raised in a Unitarian church, and they are really good at teaching this.

I remember in our 7th and 8th grade Sunday school classes, every other week we would go to a different house of worship.

Then the following week we would stay at our church and have a discussion about what we observed the week before.

It was an eye opening experience and dispelled many of the stereotypical myths that children pick up in their daily lives.