Photo
- - - - -

Documentary Club, Season 2, Episode 4: Food, Inc.

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,326 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Watched 'Earthlings" last night.  

Was not thrilled with the presentation of this material in a regurgitated fashion.

Perhaps I am not giving credit to the time frame when the documentary was produced.

Although a most important concept, there could have been a greater impact by acknowledging that other Earthlings besides humans hunt and kill, not always in a "humane" fashion.

Interesting point. Since the central concept is that humans and other animals are
all Earthlings, I see your point about including how earthlings other than humans
also kill their prey, often violently.

Been a year since I watched it and pretty much I just remember that it showed some very nasty things being done to animals. Also seem to recall that it didn't have really high "production value" but was okay. Produced ≈ 2005, so it's not that old. ~ Even tough it said at the beginning that these were not isolated incidents, I was left wondering if maybe they had found and filmed the worst offences and that it wasn't really representative of the norm. ~ Since then through other reading and watching I've come to believe it is the norm that many animals are not treated well, though I'm not sure it's as bad as in Earthlings.

#52 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Since the central concept is that humans and other animals are
all Earthlings, I see your point about including how earthlings other than humans
also kill their prey, often violently.

Plenty of other Earthlings would devour a human in a heartbeat for food, or otherwise, with brutality.  Humans have an over-developed sense of emotion about these things.

#53 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,326 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Plenty of other Earthlings would devour a human in a heartbeat for food, or otherwise, with brutality.  Humans have an over-developed sense of emotion about these things.

To me there are two main differences:

1: I'm not totally against the idea that humans kill and eat animals. What I'm against is the prolonged pain and torturous conditions some of these animals live in for their entire lives. A lion that runs after a gazelle (or that kills a human) has it killed in a matter of seconds or maybe a minute. But it does not torture it's prey for it's entire life before killing it.

2: Humans have developed. Unlike a lion, we CAN decide not to inflict pain. We have the ability to raise animals and eat them without them ever being in pain. Why not do that?

For me personally: I believe it's also healthier and better for the environment not to eat much meat at all. So why do it? ~ I may return at some point to eating some meat, if I know it's raised & killed humanly. For now I'm abstaining totally so I can learn how to not eat meat and also so it will raise the conversation with people...as it has already done. 

#54 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,690 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

150702_10151437611413194_1710903598_n.jp

#55 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,820 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

1: I'm not totally against the idea that humans kill and eat animals. What I'm against is the prolonged pain and torturous conditions some of these animals live in for their entire lives. A lion that runs after a gazelle (or that kills a human) has it killed in a matter of seconds or maybe a minute. But it does not torture it's prey for it's entire life before killing it.

2: Humans have developed. Unlike a lion, we CAN decide not to inflict pain. We have the ability to raise animals and eat them without them ever being in pain. Why not do that?

For me personally: I believe it's also healthier and better for the environment not to eat much meat at all. So why do it? ~ I may return at some point to eating some meat, if I know it's raised & killed humanly. For now I'm abstaining totally so I can learn how to not eat meat and also so it will raise the conversation with people...as it has already done. 

well said, Jab.

#56 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,690 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Ram Dass, Love Serve Remember
When we see how much of our behavior is a defense mechanism to alleviate the pain of separateness, we begin to realize the importance of healthy intuitive and compassionate hearts.

#57 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,820 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

coming out soon!!

#58 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,393 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

while not for the entire life of the prey, some animals do torture before they kill.  some animals do seem to kill for their own edification as well.  a cat will often kill a mouse that it does not need for food.  i should say though, that i completely agree with your point about humans differing from other animals in their ability to choose not to torture.  also, glad you are trying the vegetarian route ;)