Photo

Alcohol abuse! Maker's Mark cutting alcohol in its bourbon to meet high demand.

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#51 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

why dont they just make their bottles a little bit smaller?

remember the nickle candy bar?

would you like to talk about all the ways to cheat on the size of toilet paper?

yummy water in the ground beef cause the regulations say it is allowed to have x moisture content

retooling the bottle factory migth be the issue with that.

paper wrappers, not as hard to do.

#52 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

4%

How about a 4% drop in filling the bottle? Let the consumer and bar owners water down their own!! :joker:

Are people really so foolish that they think getting water instead of less liquor is a better solution? :dunno:

#53 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Dave do you drink Makers Mark?

#54 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

No. :lol:

#55 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

I used to drink Dewars scotch . :dunno:

why in god's name would you do that to yourself?

#56 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,882 posts

Not here, as with most things I value quality over quantity, although prefer to have both in unison.

#57 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

I just think it's a terrible policy.

#58 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

why in god's name would you do that to yourself?

It was free at the local watering hole. Mostly because it was water and a little because the bartender chick wanted the pen15.

#59 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

i meant gypsy dave ;)

#60 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Not here, as with most things I value quality over quantity, although prefer to have both in unison.

have i told you yet today that i love you?

#61 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

ah free liquor & pen15 wanting slooots. those were the days. :beer:

I might be bothered by this if I drank the stuff but for me, the watering down would be welcome. (even if it's just a very small amount)

and on the ice / water thing.   I always taste a new scotch or whisky neat, but do not prefer to drink it that way regularly..  I'm partial to a covered ice cube for the Speyside single malts.

#62 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

i'm not a big fan of american whisky, but i have been know to drink MM.

a friend Dave is a big fan, we had bottles on every table at his first wedding.

our table went on s+r missions at the end so we had some for the bus ride home.

typically i will relax the malt unless it's a shooter.

i can't belive this was all started by a rum drinking hack from Fox, well actually i can.

#63 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

rational or not, my desire to drink makers has gone down considerably.

#64 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Way too much Daving going on in this thread.

#65 cassady

cassady

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 18,226 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

tuna can'd

#66 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

How about a 4% drop in filling the bottle? Let the consumer and bar owners water down their own!! :joker:

Are people really so foolish that they think getting water instead of less liquor is a better solution? :dunno:

sounds like a Dewers mind set, more concerned about proof than the taste.

they didn't just add the water - they say thay have adjusted the taste so it is the same,

just 3%, (.96 oz per qt) less alcohol.

#67 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Fine. You win, feck. They put the water in. Wait, they were doing that anyway.

#68 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,882 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

they didn't just add the water - they say thay have adjusted the taste so it is the same,

So I'll have to purchase two bottles rather than one, for that one extra shot to get the same buzz?

#69 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

one persons abuse could be anothers fanasty ?

#70 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

How does one add water to an already maturing or matured whiskey and adjust the taste?

#71 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

How does one add water to an already maturing or matured whiskey and adjust the taste?

part of the normal blending process.

this ain't a single malt, or small batch distilery

#72 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

So I'll have to purchase two bottles rather than one, for that one extra shot to get the same buzz?

one airplane bottle (1.5oz) and 1 handle (1.5 liter) post change will = one handle pre change abv. 

#73 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

rational or not, my desire to drink makers has gone down considerably.

bingo

#74 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,645 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Japanese whiskey FTW

#75 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,882 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

I was actually impressed when I thought Maker's had come out with the information of their own accord, however based on Feck's comments I no longer think that is the case, thus am not feeling as warm and fuzzy over their practices.

#76 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

no sense looking for timelines, after all the NY Post  is such a great newspaper - to line birdcages with

#77 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Japanese whiskey FTW

Interesting.   Got a brand I can find in the store? single malt, and blend?

they're going for scottish, and that's cool.  Those are my favorites.  

#78 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

By Zachary M. Seward | Quartz – Sat, Feb 9, 2013 2:25 PM EST

Here’s the email that Maker’s Mark sent today:

Dear Maker’s Mark® Ambassador,

Lately we’ve been hearing from many of you that you’ve been having difficulty finding Maker’s Mark in your local stores.  Fact is, demand for our bourbon is exceeding our ability to make it, which means we’re running very low on supply. We never imagined that the entire bourbon category would explode as it has over the past few years, nor that demand for Maker’s Mark would grow even faster.

We wanted you to be the first to know that, after looking at all possible solutions, we’ve worked carefully to reduce the alcohol by volume (ABV) by just 3%. This will enable us to maintain the same taste profile and increase our limited supply so there is enough Maker’s Mark to go around, while we continue to expand the distillery and increase our production capacity.

We have both tasted it extensively, and it’s completely consistent with the taste profile our founder/dad/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr., created nearly 60 years ago.  We’ve also done extensive testing with Maker’s Mark drinkers, and they couldn’t tell a difference.

Nothing about how we handcraft Maker’s Mark has changed, from the use of locally sourced soft red winter wheat as the flavor grain, to aging the whisky to taste in air-dried American white oak barrels, to rotating our barrels during maturation, to hand-dipping every bottle in our signature red wax.

In other words, we’ve made sure we didn’t screw up your whisky.

By the way, if you have any comments or questions, as always, we invite you to drop us a line at [email address] or [email address]. Thanks for your support.  And if you’ve got a little time on your hands, come down and see us at the distillery.

Sincerely,

Rob Samuels

#79 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Yamazaki/Suntory, Nikka + Karuizawa come to mind

when you ask for ice, they tend to give you 1 round ice ball, almost the size of the glass.

while it was pertty cool to look at and spin around in the glass, it got too cold to really taste all of the notes

380575658739_1.jpg

#80 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,882 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

How does one get to be a Maker’s Mark® Ambassador?

#81 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

CNBC is just about to do a live piece on this if you have access to a TV. . . they're really good at getting to the crux of the issue, somewhat mercilessly.

#82 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

How does one get to be a Maker’s Mark® Ambassador?

mailing list ?

http://www.makersmark.com/#embassy

#83 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

that ice cube is ridiculous.  

will try some soon :beer:

#84 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,882 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Going to be a barrel of TEO now.

#85 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

i've been told they hand carve them at the expensive whisky bars in Tokyo.

#86 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Going to be a barrel of TEO now.

putting you name on the inferior product ?

#87 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,882 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Yep, for company you know.   :lol:

#88 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

i say why not have an offical taste test at this years VIbes ?

#89 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,645 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Jme I was going to suggest exactly that brand Dave posted.

#90 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Which Dave?

#91 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,882 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

i say why not have an offical taste test at this years VIbes ?

I am up for that.  What non glass containers shall we use that will not taint the taste?

#92 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

might be a problem, maybe do a blind taste test @ VIP check in. 

no glass beyond that point.

if not there, maybe Eddie's picnic.

#93 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

you said "taint"

#94 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,645 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

Feck.

#95 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

?

#96 CTMuleman

CTMuleman
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Oak Cask.

Prolly will want to skip the hurricanes, prolly (not)

#97 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,882 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Maker's Mark defends watering down its bourbon

Lowering the proof will help the company keep up with unanticipated demand, says the founder's son.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Experts say most folks won't taste the difference
Move is permanent, but price won't change
New bottles to be on shelves in a few weeks
Your next glass of Maker's Mark will be a little less potent, and the son of the man who founded the famous Kentucky bourbon says it's all his fault.

In an interview Monday, Bill Samuels Jr. said he failed to foresee a worldwide surge in demand for premium bourbon when he was still in charge of the brand about six years ago. As a result, Maker's Mark is being diluted to 42 percent alcohol by volume, from 45 percent, so more of the whiskey can be bottled to meet demand. That's a cut from 90 proof to 84 proof.

"I was the forecaster in chief around here. ... I must have been asleep at the wheel," Samuels said.

Samuels and his son, Maker's Mark CEO Rob Samuels, insist consumers won't notice the change when the slightly weaker bourbon hits shelves in the next few weeks. Even Maker's Mark's professional taste testers couldn't tell the difference, Rob Samuels said.

Maker's Mark, which is distilled in Loretto, Ky., announced the change in email to the brand's "ambassadors," or loyal fans, on Saturday. No changes were announced for Maker's 46, a more expensive 94-proof offshoot of the main brand that is aged longer inside barrels containing seared French oak staves for a different flavor.

Rob Samuels, who succeeded his father in 2011, said Maker's Mark's growth over the last 1.5 to 2 years, along with the broader bourbon industry, was "significantly greater than we had ever experienced as a brand."

Citing statistics from a market research firm, Samuels said sales of Maker's to consumers grew about 18 percent in 2012.

Revenues for American whiskey makers, including bourbon distillers such as Maker's Mark, were up 7 percent in 2011, driven mainly by increased sales of premium brands, according to the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States.

Maker's Mark ages in oak barrels for a minimum of 5 years and 9 months, so distillers can't simply make more of it to meet a sudden surge of demand, Rob Samuels said.

Of the limited options available — taking the whiskey out of the barrels early or buying whiskey from other suppliers — the only way to increase the supply without compromising the bourbon's taste is to add a little more water, he said.

In a letter posted on Maker's Mark website Monday, Bill Samuels said he and his son never considered raising the price of the bourbon even in the face of greater demand.

"We don't want to price Maker's Mark out of reach," he wrote. And if you're thinking a weaker drink will have a weaker price, "The value of Maker's Mark isn't set by alcohol volume," Bill Samuels said.

Rob Samuels said the change will allow Maker's Mark to boost supply by 5 to 6 percent.

Maker's Mark was acquired by Deerfield, Ill.-based Beam Inc. in 2005. But Rob Samuels, a Louisville resident, said he's still "fully accountable" for the business, and it was his idea to dilute the bourbon.

"This was our decision," he said.

Rob Samuels said the change will be permanent, and it should address any future supply shortages as the company works to make more bourbon.

In the last two years, Maker's Mark has invested $54.3 million in the Loretto facility to increase distillation and warehouse capacity, as well as make it more of a tourist attraction, according to the Kentucky Distillers Association.

Representatives of two other Kentucky premium bourbons, Woodford Reserve and Four Roses, said they have the supply to meet demand and don't plan changes to their whiskies.

Jim Rutledge, master distiller of Four Roses in Lawrenceburg, Ky., said it's like "looking into a crystal ball" for bourbon makers to forecast demand more than five years ahead.

"When you get caught short ... you can't do anything about it," he said.

Rutledge, who has been in the business more than 40 years, said he doubts the new version of Maker's Mark will taste "exactly the same" but such a small cut in the alcohol won't make "a dramatic difference."

And given that most people don't drink Maker's Mark neat, few will notice the change, according to industry experts.

"It's usually going to be in a Manhattan, an Old Fashioned, or on the rocks," said Tom Fischer, founder of bourbonblog.com and one of the "ambassadors" of Maker's Mark who got first notice of the change on Saturday.

Lew Bryson, managing editor of the industry magazine Whiskey Advocate, noted that Jack Daniel's cut the alcohol in its Tennessee whiskey nearly 10 years ago to 80 proof from 86.

"When was the last time you heard someone saying, 'I just don't drink Jack Daniel's anymore because they lowered the proof,'" he said. "It blew over."

Jack Daniel's, part of Louisville-based Brown Forman, said in 2004 that the change was made to match customer tastes, not demand.

#98 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

I got that same note from Makers... sounds like more marketing BS to me.

"New Coke" anyone?   

#99 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,469 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

goebbles market? i'll meet you in 10 forward for some dilaudid synthahol or maybe some rigillian brandy...

#100 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

I got that same note from Makers... sounds like more marketing BS to me.

"New Coke" anyone?   

6.67% is a lot of water.

they should have just put less in every bottle