New Oven

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

Tabbooma is in search of, any suggestions, convection, dual ovens?  How are the room in the dual ones and cooking in them, brand??  Anythoughts??? Thanks

#2 CTMuleman

CTMuleman
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Dutch

Just imagine the aromas of what you're cooking in it!  :lol: 

#3 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

I just went thru this a short while ago when I renovated my kitchen,  

I bought a 30" Bosch Dual Fuel Oven stainless freestanding range.      Gas cooktop, electric oven.    

30" Dual Fuel Freestanding Range
700 Series - Stainless Steel HDS7282U

I'm not unhappy with it, but I believe I could have done better if I kept shopping...   I had a deadline, and I was trying to work with Bosch for a matched set of appliances (hoodvent, Range, Dishwasher, Fridge), choices heavily influenced by my neighbor, an appliance salesman who constructed a pretty good deal.         The oven was the trickiest of the appliance to shop for.    I picked it because the size of the oven is larger than most.    As I found out, many of the ovens are 2.1 cu in payload, and that's barely enough to cook a turkey let alone anything else.   This was a bit larger.       I also picked dual fuel because I had it in my mind that any *real* cook has to have a gas cooktop (although i just did fine for years and years with my trusty old electric oven).     Also, they say that the electric oven part offers much more even heating compared to a gas oven.  I fell for it.     I chose freestanding over slide in, becuase it influenced oven payload size, and I didn't want the granite backsplash to have to be customized to the slide in types.    Advantage is if I shitcan this oven, another freestanding oven can go in it's place without any tweaks of the granite.

My complaint with this one is that the cooktop has one large burner, two medium sized burners, and one smaller one.    Sorry, but I really wanted *all* burners to large ones...as somebody who's doing some serious cooking can appreciate.    I've adjusted to the small whimpy burners, but it's still an aggravation.   Had I delved into the commerical ranges, I might've found something a little more to my liking.        A second annoyance which you'll find with most gas cooktops...food easily falls out of skillets, below the cast iron grates.     The only way to get at it is with chopsticks, otherwise it just burns.    People who use the smooth electric cooktops don't have this problem (but they complain about other things).   I also chased after this becuase it was "Convection" thinking it was a big deal.    Ive yet to see the light with that, since the controller dissallows any convection cooking over 350 degrees.   I don't even use the convection setting at all, as the normal baking mode suffices just fine.      I haven't used the self cleaning feature yet, but you should look for that.  

I know you're a little more advanced in the kitchen than most, so gotta choose your battles.   Do a lot of shopping.

#4 VSCT

VSCT
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

aga, hands down best oven around. Well worth the price. 

AGA1-s.JPG

#5 moed_over

moed_over

He saw the spinning lights he knew it was a sign....

• VibeTribe
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

We got this one a couple of years ago on sale for $799.

http://www.sears.com...=1&blockType=G1

It is a great oven, but I worry about the service that Sears provides. We would have gotten something else if we had known how much they sucked.

But, the convection feature is great for meats. It makes them a lot juicier and cooks them 20% faster. We don't really use the fifth oval burner much. Still haven't used the warming drawer either...

#6 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Thanks, no gas in the house and real currious about the convection, lots of research to come. :)

#7 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,978 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

People who have convection ovens LOVE them.

Swear they would never go back.

I cooked some wings once in a convection oven.

Only took about 20 minutes.

#8 Roasted and Toasted

Roasted and Toasted
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationUnder a tent

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

The majority of our clients that have dual wall ovens in their design choose DCS.

Having no space for a wall oven in our kitchen layout, we opted for a 36" Viking range. Great product but really would like to have two ovens and  a cook top instead.

#9 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

Cook top and dual ovens is what Tabbooma is looking for, wish he had gas, well gas that you cook with and not kind he likes to share ;)

#10 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,719 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

i :heart: the convection option

#11 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

no convection use over 350 degrees?

#12 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

Dee.. How is the baking with it?

#13 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,901 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

I'm gonna talk RANGE

Because I was considering a double oven, and freestanding cooktop.... but instead I went with....

http://www.maytag.co...8890AS/1101295/

If you hit the link you can get specs, etc. 

The oven is convection and the top is induction.  I am very happy Iwith the induction part.  While it runs on electricity, the cookware is heated using induction .  The only downside is that I can no longer use my Reverware because the bottom is not magnetic (this is not a big deal.. I love the new cookware I got to replace it).  But on the upside, because it's electromagnetic energy, the pans heat up SUPERfast, water boils incredibly fast, and it's efficient in that no heat is lost to the side of the pan and away.  When you lower/raise the energy it seems even quicker to react than gas.

I love it.  The oven rocks too.

MIR8890AS 6.2 cu. ft. capacity induction range with EvenAir™ true convection and Speed Heat™ induction elements

Standalone_1100X1275.jpg
  • Standalone_100X100.jpg
  • Feature_134X103_p110449_12z.jpg
  • Open-Propped_134X103_p110449_2z.jpg
  • Open_134X103_p110449_1z.jpg

6.2 cu. ft. capacity induction range with EvenAir™ true convection and Speed Heat™ induction elements

Built to cook everything from dinner for two to large family feasts, this industry-leading 6.2 cu. ft. capacity3 freestanding induction range has the space to get it all done and the power to get it done fast. You won't know how you ever cooked without features like powerful induction technology with Speed Heat™ elements that boil 40% faster2, 8-minute Power Preheat1, EvenAir™ true convection with Auto Conversion and a 10-year limited parts warranty on the ceramic-glass cooktop and oven and cooktop elements protecting your purchase. For added convenience, odor-free, low temperature AquaLift® self-clean technology helps get your oven clean in less than an hour.Plus, you can be proud knowing your innovative new range is designed, engineered and assembled in the U.S.A.

Top Features
capactiy_p110449_11z.png Industry Leading 6.2 Cu. Ft. Capacity

From everyday meals to large family feasts, count on the industry-leading 6.2 cu. ft. capacity3 to meet all your cooking needs.

speedheat.png Induction 3,700-watt Speed Heat™ element

AquaLift_technology_W10270978-A.png AquaLift® Self-Clean Technology

This innovative coating on the oven interior activates with water and heat, to release tough baked on soils, from underneath so food and debris easily wipe away.

#14 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,719 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

chris, i completely admit to not being a mad baker or anything, but i do cook quite a bit in the oven and avoid pan-frying

well, in the winter, anyway...summertime i grill

but ANYWAY!

i find i can cook it shorter and get good color

i like the good color outside but hate when it gets overcooked

well, meat, anyways! :cow:

what i have is nothing fancy but i do enjoy that feature

dunno about the 350 degree auto off thingy? :huh:

i have roasted using convection at 450 degrees...hmmm

#15 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Ahhh I misread your inital post....I thought I read "duel fuel", not "dual ovens".       Man, I wished I had the room for a dual oven.   With one compartment for apps at 425-450 and one compartment for the main course/sides at 350...   you're rockin.     Can feed an army with that.

Well, then the features I'd be tracking:  The selection of the brand that maximizes the cubic feet of ovenspace.    Get convection (generally considered a good thing), and make sure it's self cleaning,     As for brand selection....well, lots of them are good.   You could debate about brands all day long, but as long as you stick with the major manufacturers you'll be fine.    Read online reviews..    If you got $$$ to burn, there's a handful of higher end manufacturers, but I don't have any recommendations offhand.    

#16 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Thanks everyone.. will start looking at the reviews, getting old man when Tabbooma gets a bit excited about picking out an oven ;)

#17 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,030 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

A good resource to tap in regard to kitchen appliances is independent repair men/women.  

Spent some time chatting with one several months ago and learned quite a bit regarding types, brands, warranties, reliability and availability of parts.

#18 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

I also think convection is the way to go, although LM did override my choices when we replaced our old wall mounted oven. 

If you're stuck having to combine it with a cook top (range) look into one with a convection cooktop... you need to use only iron based cookware, but they work amazingly well. 

You could always get a conventional electric oven/range and then add a convection microwave oven above it if you have the space.  

#19 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,014 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:15 AM

aga, hands down best oven around. Well worth the price. 

AGA1-s.JPG

I agree.  

I happen to have a 2 oven Electric AGA.  

Cooked on it for years, now sitting in my garage 'cause I can't fit it in my kitchen.

Tabbooma, I could let you have it for short money, but I costs a heap to install.

It is by far the best oven you can buy.  Indirect heat. You can not fuck up a meal in one of these.

Looks just like this one:

master_aga-2-oven_claret_ts_rebuild-9ce7

#20 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

THanks, just wont fit into the space without remodeling the kitchen and really dont wamt t get into that ;)

#21 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Just take a lazy Sunday afternoon and hit all the local appliance stores.     All things considered, your goal is pretty quick and easy to resolve.     Gets far more complex when you're trying to track down a whole set of appliances.    Good to see the things up close and personal..       Get some quotes.    Go online with the model numbers and see how much you *realy* should pay for it*...then pull the trigger.       

#22 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

I just shopped for one big enough to put my head in.

Unfortunatly i got electric and it burns the back of my neck.

#23 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

Good advice Eddie.... Tabbooma is going to need to see the room if he goes with a bouble oven, have heard concerns that the top ovens are hard to get into... Tabbooma's head must fit without burning back of neck, need to remember that when shopping thank you Mr Bear ;)

#24 VSCT

VSCT
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

Yeh I grew up using an aga and still use one to this day. Love it Love it.

#25 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Todays the day, range/stove shopping :bouncey:

#26 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:49 PM