Winter Storm Nemo

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#51 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,774 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

But I don't care very much for the guy who clears the snow off my driveway.

#52 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

:lol: 

#53 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,146 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

I :heart: my plow man.    :wink:

But I don't care very much for the guy who clears the snow off my driveway.

:clap:

#54 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,882 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

:lol:   All is well.

#55 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,291 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Whenever I think of Sandy, I think that here - Bud & I were telling you guys you could shack up with us if the weather was too severe down in Jersey....but it was VT that was hard hit!!!!

Love snow shoeing - come visit , we have extra sets and lots of land/woods.....cross country skiing is my absolute favorite!

i would love to come visit, but this winter is going to be tough with Jason and i working opposing schedules.  hopefully by next year i'll have found a job that makes sense for us so we can get back to doing fun travel-related things together on the weekends :)

and that's Irene you're thinking of, when we were in VT for Terra and Stephen's wedding and were going to come for a visit.  when the storm changed paths we ended up staying in Burlington with Taraleigh and Dan and a bunch of stranded hippies for a couple of days until the roads opened up enough to make it home by driving in the middle of the night.  you guys sure did get walloped by that one!  it was a real eye opener.  

Sandy took Jason's parents home back in October, and many local friends and family are in similar situations.  our neighborhood got hit hard, but we got lucky because our property sits on a rise above the lagoon so we made it through with minimal damage...a couple of doors were destroyed, and we have some mold issues we're addressing.  locally, we're still reeling from the effects of this storm in a lot of ways, as i'm sure VT is from Irene.  whole islands where families lived for generations have been left uninhabitable for the foreseeable future...it's just a mess.    

actually, i wanted to ask you guys if you know of any good rental properties up there for the summer.  gonna start a new thread for that, though.  xo

#56 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,817 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

(actually, i wanted to ask you guys if you know of any good rental properties up there for the summer.  gonna start a new thread for that, though.  xo)

....Yes - there could be some here...are you coming for the summer?!

Any time here is VT is GREAT....except for our 5th season - Mud Season - do not come then.....

#57 Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

168685_10150398526395026_1700125_n.jpg

#58 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,291 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

(actually, i wanted to ask you guys if you know of any good rental properties up there for the summer.  gonna start a new thread for that, though.  xo)

....Yes - there could be some here...are you coming for the summer?!

Any time here is VT is GREAT....except for our 5th season - Mud Season - do not come then.....

i wish...but we would probably come for visits :)  it's for Jason's parents though.  the lost their home to Sandy, and have been bouncing from our guest room to other friends and families' homes ever since.  they definitely do better when we can get them out of NJ, so we're looking for a nice rental for them for this summer.  i started a new thread with some details so please check it out and let me know your thoughts!  xo

when is mud season?  we were thinking mid-May or thereabouts through the month of August.  

#59 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,654 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

i not only have to get myself ready for the storm, but help take care of my retired parents (mom with MS) and i manage a group home with 5 residents and have to make sure that is ready to go.  this stupid weather event has me so stressed right now.  :gah: :lol:

i would KILL to only have little old me to take care of :lol:

the end result is that i have made sure that my parents and the group home are all set with backup contingencies already in place, however, i ran out of time to do MY stuff...i guess a slim array of food, a 3/4s of a tank of gas and non-checked batteries in my flashlights will have to do since i have been working since 8 am and am on till 11 pm tonight - IF neither of my overnights call in sick :plain: (such is life in this position) :lol:

i will be fine

my priorities were the other two households!

i am a hardy mountain girl, after all :lol:

#60 clouseau

clouseau
  • VibeTribe
  • 386 posts
  • Locationlong island, n.y.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Here on S. shore of L.I.- after what Sandy hath wrought, and now the C.P.A. who does our taxes says the IRS will wrought (open my anal opening WIIIIIDE) -as i'm leaving said CPAs office, my lovely bride Mellon sends text suggesting we blow outta town asap to-nite and wend our way north, to VT.....God i love that woman !!!  After finding out what Uncle Sam wants from us by April, i need to get seriously stoopid and throw logs into the woodstove while the winterwonderland takes shape outside my window.......think i'll just wait till she has a good snoot-ful of wine before i tell her the bad news !  Ski Bromley, anyone ?  Move over Juno !      :surf: 

#61 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,882 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Prolly should have taken your CPA a bottle or two of bourbon, that might have eased your pain.    :crazy:

#62 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

i not only have to get myself ready for the storm, but help take care of my retired parents (mom with MS) and i manage a group home with 5 residents and have to make sure that is ready to go.  this stupid weather event has me so stressed right now.  :gah: :lol:

i would KILL to only have little old me to take care of :lol:

the end result is that i have made sure that my parents and the group home are all set with backup contingencies already in place, however, i ran out of time to do MY stuff...i guess a slim array of food, a 3/4s of a tank of gas and non-checked batteries in my flashlights will have to do since i have been working since 8 am and am on till 11 pm tonight - IF neither of my overnights call in sick :plain: (such is life in this position) :lol:

i will be fine

my priorities were the other two households!

i am a hardy mountain girl, after all :lol:

ah, the joy of manageing a program for the disabled...i feel your pain.

#63 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,866 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

377594_525596794152029_2599564_n.jpg

#64 clouseau

clouseau
  • VibeTribe
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

i'm the one who needs a bottle right now ..... need to find/beg/borrow/steal $7000 by April 15th ! Playing in the snow sounds pretty good right about now ! We figure we can stick around LI till it stops, then bust our butts pushing/lifting it out of our way as needed... OR head north @ 4pm or so and go play with it up where it's welcome and cherished ! Hopefully, someone will clear our driveway while we're gone (and strike oil on our property while they're at it) !

#65 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,988 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

This storm sucks. Friday's donna the buffalo webcast was canceled. Boo.

I just know i need to get out, for this one. Too much time at home, lately.

#66 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,882 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Ouch clouseau!

Pro-tip sometimes bourbon facilitates starting with the bottom line and working backwards.   :eek:

#67 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,422 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

make your jailbreak sooner than later, clouseau.

you don't want to be out on the cold, lonely, dark, northbound taconic parkway when the storm hits.

there'll be plenty of time to lament the taxman but not a lot of time left this winter to hit the trails with some fresh

powder.

#68 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Blizzard of '78.

534904_269478413183124_1647581626_n.jpg

My baby brother was born during that storm. My mom was 'stranded' at the hospital for 5 days. She said it was great!! :lol: My dad home with us, not so much

#69 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

okay....got a new plow guy! :jam:

Lets just hope he does a good job.

Now i can worry about the power outage to come, heating, and clearing the  deck, walkways, front porch, and various other areas to clean up before work.

Relaxing and drinking some tequila now. :drink:

#70 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,774 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Hope your plow guy does as good a job as mine does.  :wink:

#71 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,291 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

fingers crossed that everyone gets to be where and with whom they want to be before the storm starts.  

and that all plow guys do the jobs for which they've been retained :grin:

#72 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,774 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

and that all plow guys do the jobs for which they've been restrained :grin:

:funny1: 

#73 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,006 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

We have lots of snow here today!  It started at around 10:30 and has come down steadily since.   It's a winter wonderland!!!!

#74 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,774 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Sleigh bells ring

Are you listening

In the lane

Snow is glistening

#75 clouseau

clouseau
  • VibeTribe
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Loading car now....Mikey - M.E. may need a drinking partner later - hope George doesn't come home too tired from work and that you guys are up to the task ! -i don't wanna be around her later -  she sounds like Lucille Ball when she cries !   

#76 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

fuck you Nemo. Fuck you long and hard. :undecided:

#77 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,291 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

i don't restrain my plow guy...he does his best work fully unfettered, and prefers to be the restrainer.  :grin:  

Karen, enjoy being snowed in!!!   :bouncey:

Clouseau, safe travels.  

#78 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

About 20 years ago Schenectady had about 18 inches in early April.  City closed and we went xc skiing down streets in town.  Shoveled piles were about head high.  The bigest worry whe snow gets like that is seeing around intersection corners when driving.

One year when living off campus at Buffalo State, we had a 2 foot + storm that closed the city for a week. (Mayor actually went on the air and told folks, get a 6 pack or go to your local tavern because everything is closed tomorrow!)  fortunately a convenient store and liquor store were right on our corner, so we kept warm!

UChain...buffalo pro tip for blizzard, milk, bread and eggs are not the first to go before the storm... buy your beer early!

Say safe everyone.  I'm just bummed that in Albany area, snow coming too late to close school probably.   could use it!

#79 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,087 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

when is mud season?  we were thinking mid-May or thereabouts through the month of August.  

When was Coventry? :lol:

#80 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,291 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

oh.  yeah :lol:  so, mud season is August then?  :lol:

:heart: (((Wit))) :heart:  change of plans babe?

#81 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

:bang:

#82 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

:lol:

#83 clouseau

clouseau
  • VibeTribe
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

Thanks, all ! Hope everyone's travels are safe and that we all ride this storm  restrained or unrestrained,( depending on your  preference - just not strained) and we can all laugh about it later over a nice cup of hot cocoa( or bourbon, or whatever)....The evil yellow-haired woman is yelling for me to get in the car now, so i got, got, gotta go!  Paz and Ciao for now...... :bouncey:  

#84 VSCT

VSCT
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

okay....got a new plow guy! :jam:

Lets just hope he does a good job.

Now i can worry about the power outage to come, heating, and clearing the  deck, walkways, front porch, and various other areas to clean up before work.

Relaxing and drinking some tequila now. :drink:

#85 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

revising my "big storm" numbers to say that anything under a foot is a mild to moderate storm... 1'+ is big...2 feet and above is huge

#86 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,988 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

two houses with parents to shovel out. lucky me. :) :decides to crash at office and get some peace, tonight:

#87 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,654 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

NOAA.gov is finally making accumulation predictions

9 inches to a foot in southern nh with a winter storm warning

a foot to 2 feet in my neck of the woods with a blizzard warning

not much at all in terms of snowfall on friday until it gets towards 9 or 10 at night, then it will snow and blow hard :eek:

only 2 inches during the day tomorrow...maybe i can actually make it to the store :lol:

#88 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

yea, they definitely upgraded the snowfall totals for us...18-24

#89 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,988 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

I don't care. I still want to come out there, if I don't wind up in Jersey.

#90 IT_Buzz

IT_Buzz
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

I'm dropping the kids off to their auntie and driving fast as I can North where i hope to get a good winter pounding.

I think I will just not comment on this...

#91 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

I don't care. I still want to come out there, if I don't wind up in Jersey.

are you coming to get snow'd in with us ? :D

#92 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,817 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

I :heart: my plow man.    :wink:

me too - I also plan to snowshoe tomorrow..!!!!!

#93 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

Not sure where you are getting those Southern N.H. totals Dee.

Here is what Noaa is saying for my zip code.

A potential historic winter storm and Blizzard is expected to drop around 2 feet of snow Friday into Saturday.

Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from 6 am Friday to 1 pm EST Saturday.

• Locations: Southern New Hampshire, as well as western and north central Massachusetts.
  • Hazard types: snow, heavy at times, with the potential for blizzard conditions.
  • Accumulations: snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches.
  • Timing: light snow will develop by Friday morning, becoming moderate to heavy late in the day into the evening commute. The Heaviest of snowfall will fall Friday night into Saturday tapering off late Saturday.

#94 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,915 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

School is already canceled. Blizzard warning for the entire state. New, higher snowfall totals. Being on the shoreline, I'm going to get less. That means 13 inches instead of two feet. That should mean I only have to shovel my driveway twice.

#95 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,882 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

Have you considered getting yourself one of those plow guys?   The ladies seem quite pleased with 'em.

#96 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Have you considered getting yourself one of those plow guys?   The ladies seem quite pleased with 'em.

WHAT? WHERE?

#97 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

For the record I call bullshit on all of this. I mean okay Sandy locations- for the rest of us this is another regular storm. Pull up your fucking trousers.

me too - I also plan to snowshoe tomorrow..!!!!!

Damn it. Blonde Minx! :gingersnap:

#98 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,875 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Wit's pulled an all nighter :lol:

I'mma showering and headed to CT get snowed in with my honey. Please, snow, hold off for 4 more hours.

#99 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

go safely China...and have fun...everyone.  Wen snow stops the world around us, you can find such peace, even in cities.  Just have to slow down and enjoy.  Snowshoes are ready here, and after breaking trail to the park out the back door, we'll probably be XC skiing by Saturday afternoon!

I'm pretty damn psyched school was called

#100 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,146 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Wit's pulled an all nighter :lol:

I'mma showering and headed to CT get snowed in with my honey. Please, snow, hold off for 4 more hours.

YAY! Safe travels, my sweet Chia Tart! <3