Winter Storm Nemo

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,258 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

my mother in law called me this morning from Florida. she was worried for us after hearing about the developing winter storm on Good Morning America this morning.

doesn't look like it'll amount to much here where we live...but man, it looks like some of you may be in for it this weekend!

i know you're more accustomed to big snows up in the NE states, but...what's a normal "big" snow, and how does that compare to the foot or two that they're (tentatively) forecasting for this weekend?  

i've never been in a really BIG snow storm before.  a couple of years ago we had two decent-sized ones, but i don't think we ever got more than 6-8" at a time.  and the two times in my adult life that we've gotten walloped here with more than that, i was out of state and missed the whole shebang!

so 1. be careful out there, kids and b. if you're so inclined, tell me all about the big northern storms you've experienced, let me live vicariously through you all for a bit.  we just don't get a lot of snow here very often...i don't think we saw more than a dusting ever last year, and this year we've had a couple of inches total, but no more than that.  

it's pretty when it happens and i'm NOT complaining, as i love our weather here and the milder winters especially...just curious how the other half lives :) 

#2 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,894 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

They should name all the winter storms after Umphrey's McGee songs. \mm/

#3 Dagan

Dagan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,907 posts
  • LocationThe X-Men Mansion, Hoth, VT

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

That fish is frikkin angry! Vermont is getting pounded right now. Stay safe people. Try not to drive in this mess.

:angel:

#4 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

in my experience as a Southern New Englander 6-8 inches is not really that big of a snowfall... I would say anything over 2 feet starts to get truly problematic... it's all a matter of being properly prepared, having the right equipment, and really just being able to get by without leaving the house for a couple days. We have an extra fridge in the basement along with a chest freezer and we're actually upgrading our generator, but we've had one for about 18 years already. it's hooked into the water pump for the well and also the electric starter and blower for the propane furnace... our propane tank is large enough to power the stove and furnace for about a month of regular use... the town runs sand and plow trucks for anything over 2-3" so the roads are usually passable during anything but the worst storms and even in bad storms you can usually get around within a few hours of the snow ending

#5 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,057 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

I'm seeing predictions ranging from 4 to 15 inches for where I live.

It'll make travel between here and RI foolish. :(

Looks like I might be doing some snowshoeing on Saturday. :)

Still, my best friend in RI is better than snowshoeing...

#6 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,258 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

in my experience as a Southern New Englander 6-8 inches is not really that big of a snowfall... I would say anything over 2 feet starts to get truly problematic... it's all a matter of being properly prepared, having the right equipment, and really just being able to get by without leaving the house for a couple days. We have an extra fridge in the basement along with a chest freezer and we're actually upgrading our generator, but we've had one for about 18 years already. it's hooked into the water pump for the well and also the electric starter and blower for the propane furnace... our propane tank is large enough to power the stove and furnace for about a month of regular use... the town runs sand and plow trucks for anything over 2-3" so the roads are usually passable during anything but the worst storms and even in bad storms you can usually get around within a few hours of the snow ending

i know it's going to take a long time for me to forget the lessons of Sandy and NOT take a storm warning seriously, and prepare for it more than i would have been inclined to do in the past.  i would imagine up there you've had your own hard-won lessons, and i'm glad you've got the generator and extra food storage, Jordan :)  you just never know.

#7 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,258 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

I'm seeing predictions ranging from 4 to 15 inches for where I live.

It'll make travel between here and RI foolish. :(

Looks like I might be doing some snowshoeing on Saturday. :)

Still, my best friend in RI is better than snowshoeing...

she sure is :)  luckily you'll have the rest of your lives to make up for one lost weekend.  if you can't leave early and stay late, enjoy your snowshoeing... and some hot steamy long distance love :grin:

is snowshoeing difficult?  i've never been in a position to try it.  i would imagine it works muscles that don't get used by much else huh?

#8 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

19 inches expected her in southern N.H.

#9 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,258 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

19 inches expected her in southern N.H.

is that bigger than an average "big" snowstorm where you are, Tony?  i'm trying to put it into some perspective because to me it just sounds HUGE.  

#10 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,057 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

she sure is :)  luckily you'll have the rest of your lives to make up for one lost weekend.  if you can't leave early and stay late, enjoy your snowshoeing... and some hot steamy long distance love :grin:

is snowshoeing difficult?  i've never been in a position to try it.  i would imagine it works muscles that don't get used by much else huh?

She sure is!

Not really difficult, just takes a little getting used to...like walking, but with a higher stride than you're used to. The woods are beautiful when they're snowy and quiet.

#11 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

We used to get 1-2 foot snow storms, probably get a snow day off from school, some power outages of several hours here and there, the roads would be plowed and most folks still went to work.  

Nowadays it seems power outages are of longer duration, school is canceled pre-emptively, the roads are still plowed and work is generally still on.

#12 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,258 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

i do love how snow muffles sound and makes everything seem so peaceful and still for a bit :)   i took Lucy for a walk in the nature reserve by our house today and there's still a bit of snow around from our last storm.  it was so nice.

she won't pee in the snow though :lol:  little stinker!  she makes me find a clear spot or create one just for her.  

#13 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,057 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

Diva! :lol:

#14 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,258 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

Diva! :lol:

she sure is :lol:  but to be fair, i don't relish the idea of dipping my downstairs mixup in the snow, either.  brrrr!  see?  it isn't just human males who have it good in that department :lol:

We used to get 1-2 foot snow storms, probably get a snow day off from school, some power outages of several hours here and there, the roads would be plowed and most folks still went to work.  

Nowadays it seems power outages are of longer duration, school is canceled pre-emptively, the roads are still plowed and work is generally still on.

power outages are more common down here these days, too, and of longer duration.  Jason's school district is VAST and there are so many country miles than can't/won't be plowed that they often close for relatively small accumulations of snow.  there are other districts that rarely close because they're pretty much walkable, though.  it all depends.  still, more than 3-4" of snow is considered quite an event around here because it's so rare!  :lol:

#15 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

I used to be able to "write" my initials in the snow.  Have not checked recently to see if this skill is up to date.

Sledding, snowball fights, snow forts, snow men, lots of shoveling, snow angels, king of the mountain....

#16 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,258 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

:)  i've never tried writing my name in the snow, but a long time ago i taught myself how to pee standing up.  i haven't had much success teaching Lucy the same, though.  might be her lack of opposable thumbs!

where i grew up was a freshwater island surrounded by lakes that would freeze over in the winter when it got cold enough for long enough.  we'd build bonfires on the lakes and skate all around at night.  our normal curfews were usually ignored so we could take advantage of the ice while we had it.  it was so much fun!  those nights are one of my favorite memories of childhood, really.

#17 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,676 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

I'm dropping the kids off to their auntie and driving fast as I can North where i hope to get a good winter pounding.

#18 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,258 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

i hope you get heaps and heaps of the white stuff, Wit :grin:

#19 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,676 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

I'm going to need a snowblower! Oh Wait! I have one! :lol:

#20 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,258 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i'm hoping for not much snow here because i really need to work and if there's more than an inch, it's pointless to even open the tea shop.

but there are benefits to being snowed in and i'd happily take full advantage (many times) this weekend if it does happen.   :bouncey:

#21 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

we're gonna get assed...12-16

#22 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,546 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

s538273_449201081813492_1051837295_n.jpg

#23 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,626 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

i have heard my area "northshore" called the epicenter and they are saying "dont be surprised if you get two feet!" :eek:

havent had this much in years, to be sure...at least 2...

#24 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

increased storm totals due to changing weather patterns, coupled with aging infrastructure/grid, are causing more regular outages and cancellations.

snowshoes = 4wd for your feet in the snow!  nothing quite like taking the curs romping in fresh, backwoods snowfall.

#25 VSCT

VSCT
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

My friend sent me this link.

Highly unlikely but hey u never know:

http://www.businessi...y-wildly-2013-2

#26 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,546 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

Tabbooma likes to write his name in the snow

#27 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,220 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

So psyched.  Leave tomorrow night for three days skiing up at Sugarloaf!!!!  :dance:

#28 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,626 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

NOAA isnt giving total accumulation totals yet so i am going to infer from that that all the predictions are quite literally guesses...i dont :panic: until NOAA tells me to!

#29 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

i have heard my area "northshore" called the epicenter and they are saying "dont be surprised if you get two feet!" :eek:

havent had this much in years, to be sure...at least 2...

We had 2' on Halloween weekend two years ago.

#30 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

We haven't had a good one here in a few years. I would say a good size storm for here is anything over a foot. But I lived in Buffalo for 3 years & dated a guy who lived in N. Syracuse so I consider Big 2+ feet. I have dug out of snow that was piled higher than cars (not plowed in) more than once. I've driven on the thruway & northway in over a foot of snow unplowed. I love it. But I'm a teacher & have never been forced to go out in it.

I look forward to a day of sledding, snowball fights, forts, hopefully cross country skiing this weekend - for the first time in 2 years YAY!! hot cocoa, lots of baking, sitting by the fire! YAY I love snow!!

I agree. the power goes out much easier nowadays and they cancel school ridiculously easy.

#31 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,894 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

I'm predicting 3" plus sleet and rain where I live.

#32 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,676 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

NOAA isnt giving total accumulation totals yet so i am going to infer from that that all the predictions are quite literally guesses...i dont :panic: until NOAA tells me to!

I'm with you. I always find it to be really reliable.

#33 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

Cross country skiing, snow shoeing and snowmobiling, runner sleds down the iced over dirt road...

#34 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,420 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

we're looking at a foot plus here in southern vermont. we need it badly as the last decent snowfall was right before new years.

was out riding on the hardpack today at bromley mountain and it wasn't too good.

my new dog juno is adapting quite well to snow. she's only 2 and hasn't seen snow before but she acts like a veteran trail dog

once i strap on the snowshoes. here's a few pics from the snowstorm we had right before new years:

2013-01-03_11-28-14_631_zps2a149a38.jpg

2013-01-03_12-09-47_531_zpse79d01dd.jpg

#35 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,626 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

juno! what a good girl! :heart:

#36 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

awesome pics of your new furry pal, mikey!

#37 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,969 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

Anything under a foot in Southern NH is just normal.  Although not in the past couple of years, most storms drop about 8-10.  Over a foot is a major storm, and when it goes 18-24, it is a wallop.  Some models show 30 inches in Nashua.  Kinda means that I'm not driving to LOLong Island this weekend.

#38 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Juno is beautiful!

#39 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

i know it's going to take a long time for me to forget the lessons of Sandy and NOT take a storm warning seriously, and prepare for it more than i would have been inclined to do in the past.  i would imagine up there you've had your own hard-won lessons, and i'm glad you've got the generator and extra food storage, Jordan :)  you just never know.

Whenever I think of Sandy, I think that here - Bud & I were telling you guys you could shack up with us if the weather was too severe down in Jersey....but it was VT that was hard hit!!!!

Love snow shoeing - come visit , we have extra sets and lots of land/woods.....cross country skiing is my absolute favorite!

Scarfire - love that little black doggy with the wet little nose.....see you in Bromley on Thurs Feb 21!!!!

#40 kindsisterkathy

kindsisterkathy
  • VibeTribe
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNorth Red Sox Nation

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

About ten years ago, we accumulated enough snow that it got to be as tall as me!  That was a fun winter, we built a giant snow fort out of my friends front yard, and we werent kids, so it was the size of an actual fort!  We'd invite people over, then hide in it and attack them with snowballs!  The only thing I didnt like about that year was running out of space to put the shoveled stuff!

Im a lifelong NH native, so I love this stuff, I love to ski, snowmobile, all of it!  As long as you keep with the shoveling, its not that bad!

#41 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

About ten years ago, we accumulated enough snow that it got to be as tall as me!  That was a fun winter, we built a giant snow fort out of my friends front yard, and we werent kids, so it was the size of an actual fort!  We'd invite people over, then hide in it and attack them with snowballs!  The only thing I didnt like about that year was running out of space to put the shoveled stuff!

Im a lifelong NH native, so I love this stuff, I love to ski, snowmobile, all of it!  As long as you keep with the shoveling, its not that bad!

That must have been the year, here in VT, people had to shovel their windows out so light came into the house!

#42 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

I remember snow banks on the road side so tall you had to avoid the lowest hanging wires on the telephone poles when climbing on them in the second grade.

#43 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,457 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

back in '93 or '94 I was working on a dairy farm and there was a snow storm that accumulated to around 4-5 feet.  I remember having to clean out the barnyard so we could let the cows out to check for heat.  Also, I remember being able to walk up the snowbank on the side of the barn and walk right up over the roof and down the other side..  3 cows got out of the barn the next day and headed for the field behind the barn but didn't get very far before they were exhausted from trying to get through the snow.  I was able to get out to them, hop on their back and guide them back to the barn one by one.  Once they figured out where we were heading, they were more than happy to go back on their own.

#44 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Anything under a foot in Southern NH is just normal.  Although not in the past couple of years, most storms drop about 8-10.  Over a foot is a major storm, and when it goes 18-24, it is a wallop.  Some models show 30 inches in Nashua.  Kinda means that I'm not driving to LOLong Island this weekend.

Yup.......Calling for 2 feet plus here now.

I have to drive in it all weekend but will be prepared.

Going to go gas the 4 runner now.

Wood is stockpiled in the garage and fresh supplies brought in next to the stoves in the house.

The stoves are prepped and ready to light at the drop of a match.

Snowblower is gassed and ready, flashlights are out with candles and my camping lantern.

I have no plow man this year and have been relying on a 17 year old eagle scout to help out but he is working so looks like i will be up sat am at 3am to try and clear the driveway to get out for 6am and the commute to work.

All the pathways and deck will have to wait.

Right now they say the heavy snow should really start at fri after 7pm so timing for me is going to be a bitch.

They are also saying this will be heavy wet snow so the heart attack victims should just start rolling in by 8am.

Power will be lost here for sure.

#45 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Good luck and stay safe, Jambear.   :heart:

#46 Dagan

Dagan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

http://pic.twitter.com/4KMNWeIN :brotherjason: Bracing for pre-Nero impact.

:censor: :chief: :singer: :music: :picardfp: :drums:

#47 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Blizzard of '78.

534904_269478413183124_1647581626_n.jpg

#48 Dagan

Dagan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

What hurricane Nero will actually look like. Unfortunately, we have dumb human beings (about 70 percent of America) that don't recycle who have created a massive hole in the ozone. Prepare for 02/14/13 posts about how your 4 feet of snow is now melted.

Sincerely,

J J Abrams who now owns everything.

#49 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

going to meet with a new local plow guy in just a minute.

Hope he is good.

#50 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

I :heart: my plow man.    :wink: